Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 888
· Newest Rebel: Grendel

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
17% [15 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
6% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [12 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [5 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [14 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
7% [6 Votes]

Votes: 86
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Travisina
Finished the Brontes book (it was excellent, some of the best writing I've read for a long time) and restarted 'Night School'. A couple of chapters in, and I'm stalled again - this time with our next book club choice - 'Exposure' by Helen Dunmore, which is superbly gripping. I'm 2/3 of the way through, then when I finish I'll go back to Night School again. Sigh. Maybe I should just give it back to my neighbour?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Ellen York
Gauda Cheese wrote:

If you like Doctor Leonard McCoy, check out Doctor's Orders, by Diane Duane.

Now onto TOS, From History's Shadow

I haven't read Doctors Orders, but she also wrote My Enemy, My Ally which is a favorite of mine

Gauda Cheese
Ellen York wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

If you like Doctor Leonard McCoy, check out Doctor's Orders, by Diane Duane.

Now onto TOS, From History's Shadow

I haven't read Doctors Orders, but she also wrote My Enemy, My Ally which is a favorite of mine

Have heard good things about My Enemy, My Ally. The two Duane novels I've read, Doctor's Orders and Dark Mirror, have been great.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

rojkerr1
Love that one, and the Wounded Sky very good

Neil C
Just been revisiting the Abrahamic trilogy of ...."Torah" & "Talmud", "Bible" and "Q'uran". Am now digesting a couple of the modern spin-offs/accompaniments; What is "Scientology?" and the "Book of Mormon".

Have been diligently re-reading these texts in this, the disturbing Year of our Lord 2017 (at a time where anti-intellectualism, religion and the Flat Earth movement are once again rearing their ugly heads), whilst at the same time reminding myself of the original sociopolitical, geographical and anthropomorphic contexts under which these venerable tomes were actually written.
Attentive study, then setting aside time for some contemplative reflection.....strongly re-affirms the deep relevance of using Occam's Razor to guide Rational Thought, thereby allowing and enabling these vital tools to ease personal navigation through the confronting myriad of complexities that lurk within our everyday, modern lives.

Very difficult to rate these books, partly because of the inherent complications of placing them firmly within any specific category of literature. As fiction, they are 1/5 stars, as non fiction, they don't just can't score a star 0/5. As historical documents, they are (naturally) fertile in some respects, whilst fallow in others....perhaps 3/5 stars? As educational tools 4-5/5 stars.....whilst (of course) always remembering that much of "history" back then, was firstly written, then edited/compiled and later translated for the powerful and the ruthless; by either their admirers, their servants and/or their slaves.

To sum up then; these amazingly popular books are often (correctly) referred to as the foundation of our civilisations..... but (unfortunately) they are always the cornerstone of absolutism.... and therefore the progenitor of our xenophobia and narcissism.

*Moderater edited for questionable content.*
Edited by BradPaula on 24 April 2017 21:41:25

RichardMk2
I've just finished reading "Night Trains" by Andrew Martin. A factual book in which the author describes his experiences in the last five years travelling across Europe on over night sleeper trains.

I'm now starting on "Blue Comet" by Rosemary Wells.

RichardMk2
I've finished "The Blue Comet". Great book. It's about a little boy who has a model train set and discovers he can use it to time travel!

littlesue
RichardMk2 wrote:

I've finished "The Blue Comet". Great book. It's about a little boy who has a model train set and discovers he can use it to time travel!

Anyone remember 'Time Express' with Vincent Price?

Not exactly a model train.....but it came to mind when I read Richard's post.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Finished 'Exposure' by Helen Dunmore - absolutely gripping.
Now slogging my way through 'Night School' (never thought I'd use the word 'slogging' about a Jack Reacher, but there you go). For light relief, I'm hugely enjoying the next in the Dexter series - 'Dexter by Design'. Hilarious and gruesome.

Gauda Cheese
A Trek book break is next once I finish TNG Requiem I shall be reading the 2016 Hugo winning book the Fifth Season. Not too big on fantasy, but I do love reading Hugo winners.

JustBrad
Shattered Sword. The battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective.

sweevo
"History: Fiction or Science?", a 7-part series by Russian mathematician Anatoly Fomenko and based on the findings of Nikolai Morozov and Jean Hardouin. Professor Fomenko purports that most of what we call historical chronology is exaggerated or even falsified.

Gauda Cheese
Could not get into the Fifth Season... Problem I always have with Fantasy books I try is they're always way too slow.

Currently reading DS9: the Big Game and Batman: Knightfall volume 1

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina wrote:

'Night School' - the latest Jack Reacher novel. My very nice neighbour just lent me his new hardback copy 'cos he knows I'm a fan!

Ended up being one of my least favourite

Finished it, at last - and it's definitely my least favourite. Look how long it's taken me to slog through it! Usually Jack Reacher is un-put-down-able and I hoover them up in a day or two. This one was pedestrian, dull and repetitious, and I got the impression that Lee Child was bored and just phoned this one in. Compared with some of his others, like 61 Hours or Echo Burning, it was almost as if it had been written by a different author. I'm actually quite cross about it - cross with Lee Child for writing it, cross with myself for the time wasted reading it.

Back to Dexter - I've just finished 'Dexter by Design' and will embark on 'Double Dexter' if the library lets me renew it today.

Neil C
sweevo wrote:

"History: Fiction or Science?", a 7-part series by Russian mathematician Anatoly Fomenko and based on the findings of Nikolai Morozov and Jean Hardouin. Professor Fomenko purports that most of what we call historical chronology is exaggerated or even falsified.

Hi Sweevo.

Anotoly Fomenko is a Russian Maths Professor and a successful author.
His "History: Fiction or Science?", espouses his inane and insane "New Chronology" bunkum.
It really is one of the great pseudo-scientific loads of clap trap of all time !!
Breathtaking in its audacity and utterly myopically blind in its shallow depth of vision.
In some ways it is an awkwardly lame attempt to re-write Russia into being a central player for almost every critical juncture throughout Eurasia during the last 1000 years; but mainly... it's just a vapid literary failure.
The elephant in the room is that Anatoly unashamedly rejects every valid scientific chronological measuring technique in a desperate bid for book sales.

At the end of the day; there is without a doubt much more valid history in the 4 series of BlackAdder, than there is in any of Anatoly's work

sweevo
While Fomenko may be a little bit of a fanboy with his Russian patriotism, I think he has a valid point (just how accurate and factually true is what we call historical chronology? The multiple calendars used throughout the world - Gregorian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. - do complicate things slightly, so 1000 years in one calendar can be 100 years in another calendar if you get my drift - besides, some documents can be retroactively "created", as French scholar Jean Hardouin learned, as did Russian revolutionary and polymath Nikolai Morozov). Despite his unconventional and unscientific findings, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (although I do raise an eyebrow at his Russocentric perspective, but I don't blame him).

What made me raise an eyebrow? Simple: The sudden technological burst 200+ years ago after a supposed millennium in ignorance was the first red flag for me that historical chronology isn't exactly squeaky clean and truthful (and before that, the Roman Empire was supposedly super-high-tech and advanced and yet they couldn't figure out how to harness electricity or lay the foundations for the modern technology that we take for granted nowadays? Something IS amiss). To be honest, I think most of recorded history prior to 1700 or thereabouts is slightly shady in nature and needs to be either analysed further or taken with a pinch of salt (due to the lack of technology and resources available at the time, and considering that until the Renaissance, chronology was considered to be a subdivision of mathematics instead of history), and once the older calendars are converted to the modern Gregorian one, I'm willing to bet that the chronology will be compressed significantly enough to hundreds instead of thousands of years.
Edited by sweevo on 17 May 2017 22:53:35

Gauda Cheese
Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina wrote:

'Night School' - the latest Jack Reacher novel. My very nice neighbour just lent me his new hardback copy 'cos he knows I'm a fan!

Ended up being one of my least favourite

Finished it, at last - and it's definitely my least favourite. Look how long it's taken me to slog through it! Usually Jack Reacher is un-put-down-able and I hoover them up in a day or two. This one was pedestrian, dull and repetitious, and I got the impression that Lee Child was bored and just phoned this one in. Compared with some of his others, like 61 Hours or Echo Burning, it was almost as if it had been written by a different author. I'm actually quite cross about it - cross with Lee Child for writing it, cross with myself for the time wasted reading it.

Back to Dexter - I've just finished 'Dexter by Design' and will embark on 'Double Dexter' if the library lets me renew it today.

I know I can be quite grumpy about things, but yeah this one annoyed me too. Actually Make Me did as well until the last 70 or so pages, but the disturbing revelation about the baddies in that one shocked me and I'll never forget it.These books traditionally came out on my birthday, but I had to wait 2 more months for Night School and I can't tell why it took longer to write. This years book, The Midnight Line, sounds back on track.

All the eBook short stories have just been released in a volume with a couple of new ones so I'll be checking it out shortly.

You loved Echo Burning too! YAY that one is one of my faves too, along with Bad Luck & Trouble, The Enemy, and the Hard Way.

meegat39
Travisina wrote:

Finished 'Exposure' by Helen Dunmore - absolutely gripping.
Now slogging my way through 'Night School' (never thought I'd use the word 'slogging' about a Jack Reacher, but there you go). For light relief, I'm hugely enjoying the next in the Dexter series - 'Dexter by Design'. Hilarious and gruesome.

I sooo love the Dexter books, they are an absolute treat!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

Travisina wrote:
I'm hugely enjoying the next in the Dexter series - 'Dexter by Design'. Hilarious and gruesome.

I sooo love the Dexter books, they are an absolute treat!!

Aren't they just? Finished 'Dexter by Design', and am now romping through 'Double Dexter'. There's one in between that I've not yet managed to get hold of, so this is kind of spoilering the overall story arc but I don't really mind - the books are so much fun.

dragonq
I've been really sick all week, so I've done a lot of reading, mostly essays by John Sutherland and Clive James as both have a witty, snappy style and their pieces are short, and can be picked up and put down. I read Sutherland's The Brontesaurus, which must be the best title for a book about the Brontes ever, and Clive James's Cultural Amnesia, Latest Readings, The Blaze of Obscurity, and half of Cultural Cohesion. He's such a great prose stylist, he's a pleasure to read on almost any topic. I find when I'm sick I can't cope with watching TV; I don't like the noise, and audiobooks have the same effect.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
7,943,932 unique visits since 8th January 2014