Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 21

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,048
· Newest Rebel: blamelewis

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [30 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 129
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
JustBrad
Trafalgar.

A historical account.

One Spare Part
BradPaula wrote:

The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy edited by Peter Haining.

I have one of these comic fantasy collections. They are so brilliant at introducing you to new authors.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

One Spare Part
Klenotka wrote:

I finally finished one of the "must read", The Shining by Stephen King.
And honestly, I canīt say if a book or movie are better because they both have *their* own things that work. King describes, writes the atmosphere and of course, works well with characters. Kubrick scares with pictures, shadows, sound....two different entities, really.
The book is still as scary as Kingīs book can be. I love his descriptions of dark and evil.

Know what you mean. Film and book must be treated as separate entities. Recently reread the shining after a long gap and - wow! - how brilliant was that book! 1st read as a teen it seemed a straight forward horror novel but reading it as an adult - the nuances! Fantastic!

rojkerr1
dr who a-z ,nice artwork, Lesley Standring

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

And honestly, I canīt say if a book or movie are better because they both have *their* own things that work. King describes, writes the atmosphere and of course, works well with characters. Kubrick scares with pictures, shadows, sound....two different entities, really.
The book is still as scary as Kingīs book can be. I love his descriptions of dark and evil.

Know what you mean. Film and book must be treated as separate entities. Recently reread the shining after a long gap and - wow! - how brilliant was that book! 1st read as a teen it seemed a straight forward horror novel but reading it as an adult - the nuances! Fantastic!

Read it in my teens - it was only the second King novel I'd read (first was Carrie) and I literally couldn't put it down. Spent every waking moment reading it, and had to sleep with the light on. Finished it in a couple of days, and passed it to my younger brother. "This is a really scary book," I told him. "Yeah, yeah," he said, not believing me. He hoovered it up in under 24 hours, and when he gave it back, he said he was glad he'd finished it while it was still daylight!

I really do think it's King at his best. I wasn't keen on the film - it seemed to be more stalker/slasher than paranormal. There also didn't seem to be any chemistry between the leads - Jack Nicholson was sinister from the outset (those eyebrows!), and there was no sense of him being a decent bloke who loves his wife and kid, but is caught up in evil forces he can't withstand.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

rojkerr1
Phoenix of Megaron, Space 1999

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

Phoenix of Megaron, Space 1999

That has made me want to revisit series 1.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
JustBrad wrote:

Trafalgar.

A historical account.

More details please. I'm thinking about branching into the Napoleonic Wars and the latter Hanoverians as I've had my fill of Tudor history for the moment. And the US Civil War baffles me at times.

I'm just about to start Northanger Abbey and I have The Mysteries of Udolpho on my Kindle to read after it.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

JustBrad
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Trafalgar.

A historical account.

More details please. ...

https://www.amazo...&psc=1

rojkerr1
me 2 spare part. Just picked up a hardback of Space 1999 Android Planet by John Rankine, otherwise known really as Douglas Rankine Mason, also known as R M Douglas...my fave writer...! So pleased to find I had more of his books to read!

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
JustBrad wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Trafalgar.

A historical account.

More details please. ...

https://www.amazo...&psc=1

Thank you.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Klenotka
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

Read it in my teens - it was only the second King novel I'd read (first was Carrie) and I literally couldn't put it down. Spent every waking moment reading it, and had to sleep with the light on. Finished it in a couple of days, and passed it to my younger brother. "This is a really scary book," I told him. "Yeah, yeah," he said, not believing me. He hoovered it up in under 24 hours, and when he gave it back, he said he was glad he'd finished it while it was still daylight!

I really do think it's King at his best. I wasn't keen on the film - it seemed to be more stalker/slasher than paranormal. There also didn't seem to be any chemistry between the leads - Jack Nicholson was sinister from the outset (those eyebrows!), and there was no sense of him being a decent bloke who loves his wife and kid, but is caught up in evil forces he can't withstand.

It was one thing I did mind, now, when I read the book. Wendy in the book is presented as an educated woman, who has a bit of her matherīs nature and Jack is a guy who loves his son and basically ends up sacrificing himself for him. bu tI understand you canīt put everyting into the movie and Jack Nicholson just is a crazy guy. But Wendy was terrible in the movie - except, and I liked it, she was able to think on her feet and was really inventive when she tried to get Danny away. But thos are minor details. Horror is one of my favourite genres so i can forgive a lots of things.

I do love Stephen King and I still have a lots of his classics to read. I have to finish The Stand that I put away in the middle because I went away and the book is so big that I would have to pay extra kilos on the plane for it Grin Funnily enough, the first book I read from him was only a few years ago 23/11/63. Since then, I found favourites in Necessary things and Bag of bones, too. "It" was brilliant and I was scared only reading some of those scenes!
His son, Joe Hill, is not doing bad himself. He only wrote a couple of books and all of them are great. He has his very own style but got his dadīs art for creating characters - except that instead of often putting himself into a "main role" and connect books by hints and lines, he has fantastic female characters.
Donīt be Lasagne

BradPaula
I'll soon be reading Tony Lee's "Mister Clip Clop Intergalactic Space Unicorn" which I got for our anniversary. We know Tony from TARDIS con and at first we thought he was just making the book up, but no- it's real and a gas.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
Mister Clip clop?! reading Down to the sea in ships, study of people working on those vast container ships, little feudal communities...fascinating..

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

me 2 spare part. Just picked up a hardback of Space 1999 Android Planet by John Rankine, otherwise known really as Douglas Rankine Mason, also known as R M Douglas...my fave writer...! So pleased to find I had more of his books to read!

I have still got 3 S1999 novels from the '70s with photos in the middle. I have read them many times but not for a while. Similarly I have 3 B7 novels from then...no photos sadly...must dig them all out soon.
You guys and gals have got me looking for more of these novelizations...I haven't got the shelf space!

rojkerr1
the later ones are more original novels than novelisations, Onesparepart, Alien Seed, Android Planet, Phoenix of Megaron, Rogue planet, Earthfall -there's also a company called Powys media that published a few more original 1999 novels quite recently, The Forsaken, Resurrection, Bred for Adversity, Shepherd Moon, all very good

BradPaula
Finished Tony Lee's Mr. Clip Clop Intergalactic Space Unicorn and loved it. Then I read Tony's book, The Timely Adventures of Captain Clock and now I am reading Terry Pratchett's The Dark Side of the Sun, one of the few books we didn't have from him.

I've got to admit, knowing Tony, I have seen ideas and circumstances about him which have translated into his books- the robotic T. Rex- he fell in love with a T. Rex costume at TARDIS con two years ago, someone had let him wear and he would not be persuaded to take it off and even wore it during the costume contest and entertainment after! And there was a phrase about drinking water, which came from a story he told while at the Gallifrey con in California where he passed out from the heat and because he hadn't kept hydrated. So little jokes for the enlightened which made it all worth reading. We hope to see him again at this year's TARDIS con so he can sign our books and also the Jonathan Harker Dracula book he did which we thought was amazing.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
Operation Umanaq, John Rankine

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

Operation Umanaq, John Rankine

Just finished another short story this time by john kenneth muir - completely evoking the best of the 1st series episodes and reintroducing me to all the support characters.Thanks for putting me onto these books rojkerr. Grin

rojkerr1
u r welcome my friend, those Powys media books are really good, hard to get hold of and not cheap now! Try Forsaken.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
15,230,438 unique visits since 8th January 2014