Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,181
· Newest Rebel: MylordAvon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [23 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
8% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [24 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [18 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 166
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
rojkerr1
I like Ackroyd, And then there were None, the latter is one of my fave books.By the Pricking of my thumbs, Pale horse. Ordeal by innocence, Murder on the orient, Evil under the sun, ABC, Man in the Brown Suit, Death on the Nile

rojkerr1
Have you seen the new Poirots, enjoyable

Cygnus Bazza
I read 'The Magpie Murders' - I found it quite hard going after a pretty promising start.

rojkerr1
Sealed casket good

One Spare Part
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

I read 'The Magpie Murders' - I found it quite hard going after a pretty promising start.

That's Horowitz isn't it? The 1st book he based on Sherlock Holmes was fantastic but the follow up...oh dear. His books published since have also turned to be...not so good...oh dear oh dear. I think he has gone off the boil...oh dear oh dear oh dear.
It's a real shame. He is responsible for some fab TV creations see Foyle for one. He is a man of great imagination and creativity but his ideas now are not working for me. This idea of introducing 'himself' as a character...no no no!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:
That's Horowitz isn't it? The 1st book he based on Sherlock Holmes was fantastic but the follow up...oh dear. His books published since have also turned to be...not so good...oh dear oh dear. I think he has gone off the boil...oh dear oh dear oh dear.
It's a real shame. He is responsible for some fab TV creations see Foyle for one. He is a man of great imagination and creativity but his ideas now are not working for me. This idea of introducing 'himself' as a character...no no no![/quote]

Of course, I MEANT to say 'The Monogram Murders' - one of Sophie Hannah's 'new Poirots'. Wasn't tempted to read more of them, TBH, though I might now try the casket one, on rk's recommendation

But I did read 'The Magpie Murders' and yep - that one's a Horowitz. REALLY struggled with it even though it was highly recommended to me by two people. The longer it went on, the less I found myself buying into it. Very disappointing. Maybe it's just me, though.

Any Christies that you're especially partial to? Any in my list on p.68? A list ain't a list unless someone's tearing holes in it!Smile

One Spare Part
C Baz....I read the 1st Sophie Hannah Poirot...dunna bother mate....
I am still thinking about yr Christie list. I may even do a list myself!

One Spare Part
Ok here we go: here's our 3 minutes without anyone butting in with the picture....oops, that's the introduction to the 3 Degrees singing Everybody Gets to Go to the Moon (live)...
Ahem...my (current) fave Agatha Christie's.
The only one I would put in any order is
1. Endless Night - great atmos, AC holds it all together from start to finish. I would have loved to have written this book.
The Pale Horse
Man in the Brown suit
7 Dials Mystery - I like Battle and Bundle
Postern of Fate - this is a bit of a sneaky one. I wanted to include a Tommy and Tuppence but I haven't read them for a while. I do recall reading this one and thinking it wasn't a great book but it had great elements in it AND I think it had a bit of the atmos found in Endless Night. It will be interesting to re-read it.
5 Little Pigs - intricate story and very sad
Sleeping Murder - a neat story with a bit of a shiver to it.
Evil Under the Sun - lovely collection of characters
Cards on the Table - Poirot and Battle AND Bridge playing! How can it fail?
A Murder is Announced - brilliant story and characters
The list would be different at another time. And I cannot fault your list, C Baz nor Rojkerr's, even though mine is a better list than both of yours...(runs and hides)...

Cygnus Bazza
Great list. Cock-a-hoop to see Endless Night at the top of the shop. Sometimes with AC you get the feeling she was just dashing a novel off for something to do. But her best stuff shows what an original and challenging writer she could be. Endless Night deserves much better and bigger recognition.

Cards on the Table was my number 11! Sleeping Murder was number 12.

I too have a soft spot for T&T, but Partners in Crime is easily my favourite. Love that book. Postern gets a bit tangly for my liking.

Not so keen on Seven Dials - I find it a bit irritating.

A Murder is Announced was always my favourite of the Geraldine McEwan TV Marples.

Go on then, OSP and rojkerr - least favourite five? (I'll have a ruminate.)

Cygnus Bazza
Only took ten minutes! I haven't included short-story collections, some of which I like a lot (e.g. Partners in Crime, The Thirteen Problems) but some of which I don't like at all (e.g. The Labours of Hercules has a couple of good yarns but a fair bit of claptrap).

Least-favourite full-length novels:

Death Comes as the End: Valiant effort but it leaves me totally cold
Destination Unknown: not keen on AC's international-thriller-type stuff (except for They Came to Baghdad, which I really like)
Why Didnít They Ask Evans?: this reads too much like 'young adult' fiction for my liking
Elephants Can Remember: pretty threadbare plot, I'm afraid - bloomin' wigs!
Passenger to Frankfurt: another half-baked thriller

Not many duds, though, in what is a huge body of work. I think we can safely say Dame Agatha knew what she was doing!

One Spare Part
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

A Murder is Announced was always my favourite of the Geraldine McEwan TV Marples.

Go on then, OSP and rojkerr - least favourite five? (I'll have a ruminate.)

Geraldine McEwan! Scoffs derisively. There is only ONE Miss Marple and that is Joan Hickson! But I must admit to adoring Margaret Rutherford too.
The easiest answer to your question about least favourite 5 is Nemesis. Grief, that is a terrible book. Interestingly enough, Nemesis is one of my fave Joan Hickson outings. They completely changed it and made it more Christie than Christie did. A rare fail from AC.

One Spare Part
Btw, all this Christie talk ("twas Christie what done it"Wink has made me continue my rereading. Last one was Ordeal by Innocence, just picked out Murder is Easy randomly.

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

Btw, all this Christie talk ("twas Christie what done it"Wink has made me continue my rereading. Last one was Ordeal by Innocence, just picked out Murder is Easy randomly.

The Random Agatha Club. The RAC! Winning. Formula.Cool

Joan Hickson was clearly the actual Miss Marple in actual, actual fact. Any court of law or assembly of nations would agree. But GMac won me over - even though I threw a bit of a wobbly when she was first unleashed. Some of those ITV episodes do go off piste quite a bit. Not least Nemesis, which is a pretty crazy but not unentertaining retelling. But I agree the 80s Beeb version was excellent and certainly straightened the jagged edges out.

Murder is Easy is pretty solid IIRC.

rojkerr1
Joan Hickson amazing,I love Margaret tho, in anything! least fave? Evans, Dials, Elephants, Big four , Edgware

rojkerr1
love \Hound of \death

One Spare Part
I also don't like Passenger to Frankfurt...no sparkle, whatsoever.
Controversy time! I don't truly like And Then There Were None.... read it several times and it annoys me everytime.
Great idea but.....I cannot suspend disbelief and let's face it, with AC, that is often necessary. The psychology doesn't work for me. Give me a simple but rollicking adventure, like 7 dials or a Tommy and Tuppence, over this anytime.

sweevo
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki - compared to the anime adaptation, the manga is much more in-depth and morally grey (almost like a cross between Dune and B7)... and it feels weird reading from front to back (that's not a typo, that's how books are printed and read in Japan).

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

Controversy time! I don't truly like And Then There Were None.... read it several times and it annoys me everytime.
Great idea but.....I cannot suspend disbelief and let's face it, with AC, that is often necessary. The psychology doesn't work for me. Give me a simple but rollicking adventure, like 7 dials or a Tommy and Tuppence, over this anytime.

I particularly like the style ATTWN was written in. Quite un-Christie, in many ways. And it moves along at such a lick that you don't really get to dwell on the plot holes and general daftness until it's all over. A bit like reading 'The Da Vinci Code'. *Legs it behind riot shield*

rojkerr1
I love ATTWN, and all the films

rojkerr1
love all the PC name changes!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.89 seconds
25,092,611 unique visits since 8th January 2014