Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,121
· Newest Rebel: paul kerr

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [35 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [10 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [13 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 152
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
What are you reading?
BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Seeing how I'm Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian ....

What fab ancestry Smile


Especially the English I learned about 11 months ago....
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Travisina wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Seeing how I'm Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian ....

What fab ancestry Smile


Especially the English I learned about 11 months ago....

Hurrah! I knew you were a Brit at heart. Smile
Actually, many Brits also have Scandinavian ancestry. There was a TV doco called 'Blood of the Vikings' - explaining that Brits with blood group A are probably descended from the Vikings who settled in the north of England - Yorkshire, Tyneside, Sarran etc.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
rojkerr1
Oirish, Tulloch, Child of the Flood
 
Hugbot
Reading the current issue of the German sci-fi series Perry Rhodan. While I was a massive fan in my teenage days and early twenties, I donít touch that stuff nowadays but this week, I had to make an exception as this is a very special issue: it is episode no. 3000. While itís definitely not a great work of literature (and my inner copy editor is yearning for a red pen), you have to give it to them: telling (and selling) a continuous story in 3000 installments, thatís quite a feat!
 
One Spare Part
Hugbot wrote:

Reading the current issue of the German sci-fi series Perry Rhodan. While I was a massive fan in my teenage days and early twenties, I donít touch that stuff nowadays but this week, I had to make an exception as this is a very special issue: it is episode no. 3000. While itís definitely not a great work of literature (and my inner copy editor is yearning for a red pen), you have to give it to them: telling (and selling) a continuous story in 3000 installments, thatís quite a feat!

Wow - 3000 episodes! They must be doing SOMETHING right! Especially in this day and age of 'ease of losing interest'.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Just started a book called The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It has a very unusual storyline. Not come across an idea like this in a book. Therefore you have to continue reading.

Sounds intriguing. Who's it by? I'll see if my Library has got it (or can get it).

Meanwhile, I'm reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfus (my brother's recommendation. In fact, my brother's copy of the book, which I shamelessly purloined).
And for the book club - 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy.


I thought I had answered your question. The book is by Stuart Turton if you haven't already found out. If you get around to it let me know what you think cos I don't know what I think!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
rojkerr1
the phaeton condition by Douglas Rankine Mason, signed copy my daughter got me. John Rankine, R M Douglas, my fave writer, all the same guy
 
One Spare Part
Starting The Prestige by Christopher Priest. Read Inverted World and my mind was blown! Excellent author not talked about.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
rojkerr1
super writer, did he do A dream of wessex?
 
Travisina
Have just finished 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy. Absolutely superb, highly recommended. I had to finish it swiftly, because it was due back at the library yesterday and I couldn't renew it because others were waiting to read it. I ended up sitting in the library yesterday afternoon to hoover up the last few chapters as the clock ticked down to closing time...

One Spare Part wrote:

Just started a book called The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It has a very unusual storyline. Not come across an idea like this in a book. Therefore you have to continue reading.
... The book is by Stuart Turton if you haven't already found out. If you get around to it let me know what you think cos I don't know what I think!

I've now reserved this at the library. Good news - they have a copy. Bad news - it's out on loan, and I may have to wait for up to 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, it's back to Patrick Rothfuss...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

super writer, did he do A dream of wessex?

Yes indeedy. Working through the list of his books slowly.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
One Spare Part
[quote]Travisina wrote:

Have just finished 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy. Absolutely superb, highly recommended. I had to finish it swiftly, because it was due back at the library yesterday and I couldn't renew it because others were waiting to read it. I ended up sitting in the library yesterday afternoon to hoover up the last few chapters as the clock ticked down to closing time...

I will tell you a library secret: when someone hangs around the library until the last minute, library assistants across the country - unseen by the public - are sticking pins into voodoo library customer dolls in the hopes of getting them to shift...AngryOops
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Have just finished 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy. Absolutely superb, highly recommended. I had to finish it swiftly, because it was due back at the library yesterday and I couldn't renew it because others were waiting to read it. I ended up sitting in the library yesterday afternoon to hoover up the last few chapters as the clock ticked down to closing time...


I will tell you a library secret: when someone hangs around the library until the last minute, library assistants across the country - unseen by the public - are sticking pins into voodoo library customer dolls in the hopes of getting them to shift...AngryOops

That explains so much!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Ellen York
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Have just finished 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy. Absolutely superb, highly recommended. I had to finish it swiftly, because it was due back at the library yesterday and I couldn't renew it because others were waiting to read it. I ended up sitting in the library yesterday afternoon to hoover up the last few chapters as the clock ticked down to closing time...


I will tell you a library secret: when someone hangs around the library until the last minute, library assistants across the country - unseen by the public - are sticking pins into voodoo library customer dolls in the hopes of getting them to shift...AngryOops

That explains so much!


I suspect that most people working in customer facing positions have customer voodoo dolls. I've never worked customer service, closest I got was as a teaching assistant in grad school; 90% of the students were fine, but that other 10%, ugh Sad
 
rojkerr1
lol
 
rojkerr1
Death of the Planet of the Apes....TTTTTaaaayylllooorrr!
fills The gap between Planet and Beneath, two of my fave films, Planet of the Apes is my very fave!
 
One Spare Part
I will always remember the 1st time I watched Planet of the Apes. Powerful stuff! Still get a kick from it.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
JustBrad
One Spare Part wrote:

I will always remember the 1st time I watched Planet of the Apes. Powerful stuff! Still get a kick from it.


I loved the original with Chuck Heston, quite a ride for its day, but it took a Facebook Meme posted by Spaceship Dispatcher and Clanger to put it in perspective for me.

Astronaut Taylor lands on a planet where Apes speak English and ride horses, and it takes seeing the Statue of Liberty to make him realize he's on Earth.
And he's an astronaut. Did he not recognize the moon?

Still love the film.
 
rojkerr1
I remember reading Monkey Planet by Pierre Boulle as a kid, always haunted by the last line...instead of boots he wore big black gloves..... Still the ending of the original apes is still phenomenally striking, even after all this time. I watched it with my young niece and her delight at the ending was palpable, ssssooo, he's back on the earth again! Wow...what happened? maybe he thought it was some kind of parallel development, and the moon might have split and changed over the millennia. Anyway, to start with he doesn't even realise he's landed in Monument Valley, scene of countless John Wayne films!
 
One Spare Part
JustBrad wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

I will always remember the 1st time I watched Planet of the Apes. Powerful stuff! Still get a kick from it.


I loved the original with Chuck Heston, quite a ride for its day, but it took a Facebook Meme posted by Spaceship Dispatcher and Clanger to put it in perspective for me.

Astronaut Taylor lands on a planet where Apes speak English and ride horses, and it takes seeing the Statue of Liberty to make him realize he's on Earth.
And he's an astronaut. Did he not recognize the moon?

Still love the film.

Yes I know what you are saying but...Taylor et al KNEW they were on an alien planet. That was their mission. Plus the death of their "Eve" and the subsequent crash sent their minds whirling. And when crossed the desert Taylor was too busy point scoring and the other two were reacting to that. It was all a distraction. I can believe that they missed the signs. It doesn't matter anyway cos as you say it is a cracking film! Way way better than that atrocious remake.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
20,984,348 unique visits since 8th January 2014