Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,158
· Newest Rebel: Project TAS

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 159
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Obsidian
Finally got my hands on Blake's Legacy: 40 years of rebellion. Enjoying reading everyone's tales. Interesting to see the different responses of those of us who were adults when it was first on compared to those who were young 'uns and those who came along later. All amazing.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
BradPaula
Obsidian wrote:

Finally got my hands on Blake's Legacy: 40 years of rebellion. Enjoying reading everyone's tales. Interesting to see the different responses of those of us who were adults when it was first on compared to those who were young 'uns and those who came along later. All amazing.

I agree- amazing. It was so interesting to read of people's reactions to the programme and how it affected their lives. And so many Horizon members contributing! Loved it.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
have to get a copy, I did enjoy that ice cream

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Strangely compelling look at cell harvesting, culture and the disregard of medical ethics in the post Nuremberg era of American history.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

One Spare Part
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

Strangely compelling look at cell harvesting, culture and the disregard of medical ethics in the post Nuremberg era of American history.

Read that with my reading group a few years back. What happened is fascinating and horrible at the same time. I would be very interested to hear what you think about the author and the actual writing of the book.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
Roar by Cecilia Ahern
30 short stories, each titled 'The Woman Who...'
I like the surreal nature and gentle humour in each of the stories, but the resolutions tend to be a bit glib and preachy. Some are better than others (section leader), but they go quite nicely, two at a time, with a cup of tea. Not nearly as well written as the Daphne du Maurier short story collection I read recently, but considerably less harrowing.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

One Spare Part
Just about to start the latest in the Dr Ruth Galloway crime series by Elly Griffiths. I have really enjoyed catching up with this series ( she is on book 12 currently) despite the writing being a bit silly at times. They are very relaxing and easy to read and the characters are interesting and fairly unusual...Dr Ruth is an archaeologist with a speciality in bones and another recurring character is a purple cloak wearing druid.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

Read that with my reading group a few years back. What happened is fascinating and horrible at the same time. I would be very interested to hear what you think about the author and the actual writing of the book.

Being a chemist( not a pharmacist) for most of my working life, I found the hard science was written well . Ms Skloot managed to tease out the story of not only Henrietta Lacks but her children and grandchildren contrasted against the scientific community who were trying to protect their research and patents regardless of the mis-information, confusion and lies which cost hardship to the Lacks families over the generations.

The book was well written and researched. It would be nice to think that a person had the last say on the recording of their own DNA but watching far too many true crime programmes has shown me otherwise.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

One Spare Part
Agree with you on the science aspect. It was very clear so the reader could understand exactly what had been done.
My reading group thought that the author, in her dealing with the family, was more than a bit intrusive and heavy handed. We definitely felt more uneasy reading it in the end chapters.

Henry Eggleton
Judges When the Light Lay Still by Charles J Eskc
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Ela
Re-read the first three books of The Expanse series after I finished watching season 3 of the TV show. Just to see what was different between the books and the show.

Joe Dredd
Henry Eggleton wrote:

Cool. I've got it in the "Judges" volume 1 omnibus but haven't got that far yet. Are you enjoying it, Henry?

Mrs_Underhill
Ela wrote:

Re-read the first three books of The Expanse series after I finished watching season 3 of the TV show. Just to see what was different between the books and the show.

Awesome to see another Expanse fan. Smile
I read all the available books while watching Season 2 live, then rewatched the show again and found out that reading really enhanced viewing experience. The show is different enough to keep it fresh - like a different take on the same idea. And it has a lot of hidden motives and easter eggs better appreciated after the books.

I'm so happy they already committed to Season 5 because the book 5 - wow! It's the best. And then there's the last one, book 8, which is even more amazing. Love the authors also because they have a plan of 9 books, a book a year and they are sticking to it, unlike some other authors I could name. Smile

Henry Eggleton
Joe Dredd wrote:

Henry Eggleton wrote:

Cool. I've got it in the "Judges" volume 1 omnibus but haven't got that far yet. Are you enjoying it, Henry?

I thought it was a good novel myself.
Just started
Hero Hunt: Sorceress Super Hero Book 3
Darius Brasher

What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Ela
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

Ela wrote:

Awesome to see another Expanse fan. Smile
I read all the available books while watching Season 2 live, then rewatched the show again and found out that reading really enhanced viewing experience. The show is different enough to keep it fresh - like a different take on the same idea. And it has a lot of hidden motives and easter eggs better appreciated after the books.

I'm so happy they already committed to Season 5 because the book 5 - wow! It's the best. And then there's the last one, book 8, which is even more amazing. Love the authors also because they have a plan of 9 books, a book a year and they are sticking to it, unlike some other authors I could name. Smile

I'm also glad to see another Expanse fan. I've been a fan from the beginning, you could say, as I am familiar with the RPG game that started it all (though I was not a participant; I don't know how to RPG Pfft).

One Spare Part
I have just started to watch The Expanse...3 episodes in and I am already hooked. People should be shouting out about this show since it is the most original SF show for a long while.

Mrs_Underhill
Ela wrote:
I'm also glad to see another Expanse fan. I've been a fan from the beginning, you could say, as I am familiar with the RPG game that started it all (though I was not a participant; I don't know how to RPG Pfft).

Wow, this is so cool! So you've been at the roots of it all!

One Spare Part wrote:

I have just started to watch The Expanse...3 episodes in and I am already hooked. People should be shouting out about this show since it is the most original SF show for a long while.

It is! Ceres streets, bars, people - it was love at first sight. Such a realistic take on colonizing the Solar System.
And then I fell in love with the Awesome Indian Woman - usually takes me a while to remember everyone's name. She's one of my favorite characters, ever.
Glad to see you on this journey, hopefully you'll enjoy it. Smile

Ela
One Spare Part wrote:

It's fantastic. I talk about it at every opportunity. Smile

Ela
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

Ela wrote:

Wow, this is so cool! So you've been at the roots of it all!

Well, not exactly the roots. I wasn't involved with the original RPG. But I do know (online, at the very least) some of the folks thanked at the ends of the books.

rojkerr1
Expanse sound good

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.87 seconds
23,216,067 unique visits since 8th January 2014