Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [40 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 187
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Joe Dredd
I can't say I've read much historical fiction, other than the "I, Claudius" novels repeatedly, but I enjoyed Margaret George's "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" when I was a teenager and it's still on the bookshelf. Henry's fool Will Somers has a nice line in it somewhere, that we always compare our shadows (fault-ridden selves) to the sunlit sides of others.

rojkerr1
Fingalnan conspiracy,Rankine

One Spare Part
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. A series of short stories linked together by the character of the tattooed man. Tattoos that seem to move when you look at them for long enough...
It was made into a film with Rod Steiger in the title role. Not seen that on TV in yonks.
Bradbury was the master of the short story format. Scintillating, shocking, spine tingling...
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. A series of short stories linked together by the character of the tattooed man. Tattoos that seem to move when you look at them for long enough...
It was made into a film with Rod Steiger in the title role. Not seen that on TV in yonks.
Bradbury was the master of the short story format. Scintillating, shocking, spine tingling...

I love, love, love Ray Bradbury. His prose is like poetry - his SF is not very science-y compared with eg Asimov, but his writing is so beautiful I don't care. There was a really interesting thread about 'Fahrenheit 451' on Twitter the other day in honour of what would have been his 100th birthday.
Here:https://twitter.c...4136538117 (and yes, you can read it if you're not signed up with Twitter. Unlike some other social media platforms I could mention Angry )
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

BradPaula
Reading 'Spectacular Scotland' and it is.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

One Spare Part
[small][/small]
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

I love, love, love Ray Bradbury. His prose is like poetry - his SF is not very science-y compared with eg Asimov, but his writing is so beautiful I don't care. There was a really interesting thread about 'Fahrenheit 451' on Twitter the other day in honour of what would have been his 100th birthday.
Here:https://twitter.c...4136538117 (and yes, you can read it if you're not signed up with Twitter. Unlike some other social media platforms I could mention Angry )

Thanks for the link Travisina. Good to know there are more Bradburyites out there. Wish there were more people like RB around these days. A voice of reason speaking in a reasonable tone telling tales of poetry and wonder.

rojkerr1
love bradbury. did my thesis on him, he sent me a photo and a signed pic. Writes in capitals like he was shouting. adore his prose, The Emissary the veldt, the quite horrible and disgusting story the Handler...from Dark Carnival. Still horrifying -got the painting for a cover of S is for space...the sound of thunder...wonderful. He said his wife crept up on him and married him...love that expression...Uncle Einar, the Halloween tree, sheer poetry and magic

rojkerr1
sparepart, and the blank space on his back where you can see the future...and theres a rose you will always carry in your hand...

rojkerr1
got a nice poster for F 451 too, Bradbury loved the adaptation, Truffaut

M1795537 OC Virn
Cygnus Bazza's latest: 'Plato's Plums'. Available from Amazon. Let's just say it's a spoof, loosely based around Ancient Greek philosophers. With a lot of outrageous jokes and terrible puns. Enjoy!
You're not sulking, I hope?

One Spare Part
Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. If I didn't have to go to work I would have read it non stop. These books are addictive...oops must dash, am on page 682...

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. If I didn't have to go to work I would have read it non stop. These books are addictive...oops must dash, am on page 682...

I've just finished watching 'Lethal White'. I'd not read the book (yet) but thought the series was very well done (and now have an earworm of the theme tune).

I'm now reading 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' for book club. Not read it before, or seen the famous movie. It's ... interesting, especially as it was based on a real person.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

BradPaula
Reading a book on the battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
Andromeda strain

rojkerr1
owl service, the hardback with the pottery designs inside the cover

rojkerr1
the reprint paperback has a painted cover and the young girl is just like my chloe!

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

Andromeda strain

Nice reading for these times.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Travisina wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

I'm still on my Tudor novel binge.

So why is the latest thing HVIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, shagging Thomas Seymour?

All through her second marriage with John Neville, Lord Latimer and into her third with Good King Hal?

The guy who had his second wife beheaded because of suspected adultery and his fifth also beheaded for suspected adultery?

It makes so much sense that his street-smart sixth wife would be jumping into bed with a known rake...

sighs....

In my young teens, I binged the Tudor novels by Jean Plaidy - 'Murder Most Royal' (wives 1-5) and 'The Sixth Wife' (Katherine Parr). I don't remember her shagging Seymour, or perhaps I've forgotten or perhaps I was too young and innocent when I read it to realise what was going on...

This was a modern book, "The Last Wife of Henry VIII" by Carolly Erickson.Looking at samples of other novels written recently, it seems like a new theme, KP and TS having an affair. Looks like it her story needs spicing up. Because in reality, KP didn't do much until HVIII's eye lit on her following KH's downfall.
I found the Plaidy novel lurking on my bookshelf.I totally forgot I had that one.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

She married Seymour and I think she died in childbirth while Edward 6 was still alive. He was grasping for power even then.

He really was. He proposed to Elizabeth and then Mary before marrying KP several months after Henry's death. The whole possible grooming of Elizabeth while she was in KP's care. Plus he was trying to push the marriage of EVI and his ward, Lady Jane Grey.

KP died several days after the birth of Lady Mary Seymour, another tragic Tudor child. She disappears from the historical records before she was two.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Ellen York wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

I'm still on my Tudor novel binge.

So why is the latest thing HVIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, shagging Thomas Seymour?

All through her second marriage with John Neville, Lord Latimer and into her third with Good King Hal?

The guy who had his second wife beheaded because of suspected adultery and his fifth also beheaded for suspected adultery?

It makes so much sense that his street-smart sixth wife would be jumping into bed with a known rake...

sighs....

In my young teens, I binged the Tudor novels by Jean Plaidy - 'Murder Most Royal' (wives 1-5) and 'The Sixth Wife' (Katherine Parr). I don't remember her shagging Seymour, or perhaps I've forgotten or perhaps I was too young and innocent when I read it to realise what was going on...

Jean Plaidy is one of my favorite historical fiction authors. The Lady in the Tower (Anne Boleyn's story told first person) was the first "grown-up" historical fiction that I read as a tween. Her work is G/PG rated so no "on-screen" shagging.

The Lady in the Tower was my first Tudor novel. IIRC I was around 11 or 12. Ignited my passion for the era.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.75 seconds
28,821,150 unique visits since 8th January 2014