Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,136
· Newest Rebel: pysop45

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [36 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 156
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Mrs_Underhill
Just started reading and got to this place about Cally and Duel. So happy to have the new blog entry, looking forward to reading the rest!

Anniew wrote:

That’s a great analysis of Cally Zonda, and the episode as a whole. But surely it’s Avon, not Cally that shakes his head when Blake is given the opportunity to kill Travis...? Or do they both do it...?

It's just Avon, I even made a gif of it some time ago. Cally is all gung-ho and for it, which is consistent with her desire to hurt the Federation (plus it's personal with her and Travis too?)

66.media.tumblr.com/c8bf9c6efe7c573b635df4bdfde34435/tumblr_pf97r0iOq11xe9r4qo2_400.gif

While for Avon it's echoing his sentiment about Sarah in "Mission to Destiny" - he didn't want to enjoy beating her up and he's on same wavelength with Blake here.

Zonda
Gosh - the memory cheats! Must have been Cally planting messages in my head!
Thanks all.

Mrs_Underhill
Glad to be of service. Smile

That was such a great read on Cally whom I love. Indeed, we realized how important she was when she was no longer there: when the crew dynamic and Avon's mental state took a shocking turn for the worse. Elusive but strong presence from her.

Her fading away in the end of S3 could be attributed to depression after what happened in CoA. But I remember one more spark of fight from her in "Moloch", when she told Avon they had an obligation to investigate what Servalan was up to, and Avon replied with chagrin: "Obligation?" - but went along with her push all the same (which often happened in S3).

Loved PP analysis! The striking realization that this show would not have a happy ending - yes, so true.

Zonda
That's a nice little example there. It seems to sum up Cally and her impact on the crew - small, understated, little suggestions, that end up having a bigger impact.
Thanks again. T

One Spare Part
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

Just started reading and got to this place about Cally and Duel. So happy to have the new blog entry, looking forward to reading the rest!

Anniew wrote:

That’s a great analysis of Cally Zonda, and the episode as a whole. But surely it’s Avon, not Cally that shakes his head when Blake is given the opportunity to kill Travis...? Or do they both do it...?

It's just Avon, I even made a gif of it some time ago. Cally is all gung-ho and for it, which is consistent with her desire to hurt the Federation (plus it's personal with her and Travis too?)

66.media.tumblr.com/c8bf9c6efe7c573b635df4bdfde34435/tumblr_pf97r0iOq11xe9r4qo2_400.gif

While for Avon it's echoing his sentiment about Sarah in "Mission to Destiny" - he didn't want to enjoy beating her up and he's on same wavelength with Blake here.

I always thought Avon shaking his head was him showing that he knew Blake wouldn't kill Travis and also disagreeing with him on this. Showing his greater knowledge of Blake's thinking.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Child Of Auron
Great analysis of Pressure Point, I couldn't fault your summing up of the episode.

Also a great little article on Cally who is my favourite character, if you couldn't guess. Cally certainly had a great impact during her time on the show and also after her death on Terminal.

With regards to her change in character, I wonder if her hair length had anything to do with it, almost Samson like.

Long hair in Series A - the guerrilla persona
Short hair in Series B - the nurse/caring persona
Shoulder length hair in Series C - the weary, more isolated persona

Anyone know what Jan's hair was like in 1981 to make a guess of what Cally's personality would have been like if Jan had stayed on??? Grin

Zonda
Ooo - I like that idea. I might do a blog post on hair length vs impact of character! ;-)

Child Of Auron
Zonda wrote:

Ooo - I like that idea. I might do a blog post on hair length vs impact of character! ;-)

I think that could work for Blake and Avon too.

Blake's hair was big and curly in the early days but as Series B went on it was shorter as he became more fanatical.

Avon's hair was short in the beginning but got bigger over the four series and there have been many discussions about Avon's character development over that period of time!!

Any other characters with changes in hairstyle which could indicate a change in personality? Wink

Joe Dredd
Soolin had a different style in every episode. The exception that proves the rule?

Zonda
I'm absolutely loving how hairstyles tell the stories of the characters!

I've now turned my attention to chairs.
All of them.
I just couldn't resist! Smile

https://watchingb...-blakes-7/

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

I'm absolutely loving how hairstyles tell the stories of the characters!

All of them.
I just couldn't resist! Smile

https://watchingb...-blakes-7/

I've just read this - wonderful!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Anniew
I enjoyed this. A sort of space age version of Salvage Hunters with commentary by Zonda Pritchard. I learned a lot about chairs from it too.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Zonda
So glad it's going down well.
I loved writing about it.
See you all on Sunday!
T

winnie-l
Very much enjoyed this too!
You have a very engaging writing style, KUDOS!

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
All of them.
I just couldn't resist! :)

Let's give Tim three rousing chairs... er, cheers.

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

So glad it's going down well.
I loved writing about it.
See you all on Sunday!
T

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Zonda
Hi all,
after over 2 years, I've finally reached the 52nd episode to discuss.
Although it's not quite the end of the blog just yet. There is still one more post to come.
But for now, it's time to go on, with luck, to Star One.
https://watchingb...of-my-own/
Hope you enjoy, and particular thanks to Winnie/Joe Dredd/Travisina/Annie.
T.

Joe Dredd
Congratulations, Tim, and thanks for the kind words.

Although I haven't been able to comment much lately, your posts are full of fascinating insights and are a lot of fun. You have educated me on areas of the show I would have never given any thought to, and in a very engaging way.

I would love to see all the articles made into a book some day, even if it had to be via something like lulu.com.

winnie-l
Joe Dredd wrote:Although I haven't been able to comment much lately, your posts are full of fascinating insights and are a lot of fun. You have educated me on areas of the show I would have never given any thought to, and in a very engaging way.
Ditto ditto! I loved all the "the director does this here...." stuff.. and the CHAIRS!
I would love to see all the articles made into a book some day, even if it had to be via something like lulu.com.
I suggested this too. We shall see....

Joe Dredd
Some rushed notes, with apologies.

"he delivers his missiles from behind Blake" - a great description.

"we cut to that glorious slow tracking shot of space command headquarters coming into view, for one last time. There’s a nice sense of full circle" - well, it would be full circle given the shape of Space Command!

"Watching this episode again, I’ve come to the conclusion that I would not have wanted to see how Travis made a deal with the aliens, at whatever point he made it." - Look out for the Magic Bullet productions audio "The Mark of Kane". The second side/part goes into this.

"Nonetheless Jenna makes the call. And it says a lot about her character and her relationship with Blake." - a great observation.

"It’s easy to see the scene where Blake tells Avon that he has always trusted him as a pivotal moment – a handover – where the focus of the series moves from the titular character to the star of the show." - and this too.

"The baton has been passed" - I love the screenshot you've used, showing a physical passing of an object.

"The whole series has spent two years building up to this moment, and will spend another two years seeing it all unravel. This moment is the point of symmetry." - Excellent observation. I've always liked how we see Blake tell Avon that he trusts him at the end of S2, then we next see them together in the tracking gallery on Gauda Prime. See these couple of seconds for the juxtaposition: Avon morph (not the plasticine man).

"Ah, I quite like Durkim. I thought he was one of the most effective of Servalan’s many ‘aides’ featured in Blake’s 7. This is largely down to John Bown’s performance" - I really like John Bown's delivery of his lines.

"and next to Jenna stands Avon. Standing where Blake has stood a million times before." - Yes, so true.

"Some people have mocked this fleet – but I’m sure they couldn’t have done any better. I know I couldn’t." - Me neither. So there, all you nay-sayers!

"However in ‘Star One, the work is being done for Blake. [...snip...] this provides his real genuine moral crisis – does he destroy the Federation? The answer is reached almost instantly, and this says a lot about Blake.

"I think the idea of ‘luck’ being the way that Blake could defeat the Federation is the only truly plausible way in the tough, brutal, uncompromising universe created in the series. It’s a perfect mechanism for the single greatest incident in Blake’s 7.

"And it is this reason that Star One is the most signifiant episode of Blake’s 7 bar none. Sure it is the one that straddles the two great thrusts of the series – the Blake era, and the post Blake era. [...snip...]And that, dramatically speaking, is really exciting when watching Blake’s 7 as a serial." - this whole section is excellent. All things that are there but I've never given any conscious thought to.

"It’s also made me realise how the impact of this episode is intrinsically linked to ‘Pressure Point’. Because that episode contains all the high impact action and set piece, but by the time we reach ‘Star One’ there is no need for minefields, collapsing corridors, monkey bars, and ladders. The action here is more subtle, and mysterious, and the whole feel is paranoid, investigative, cautious and suspenseful. It is all about dialogue and discovery, rather than danger and dynamism." - The differences in approach between Nation v Boucher?

"his underground complex captures my imagination, providing a circular motif to his designs, and a range of textures on the walls and columns." - I've always loved the big Federation logo juttig out from the wall.

"So are we fanatics? Of course we are." - Indeed!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
21,979,575 unique visits since 8th January 2014