Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
July 2017 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
The census of swans takes place annually during July on the River Thames in a ceremony known as Swan Upping. Swans are counted and marked on a 70 mile, five day journey up the River Thames, ending at Abingdon Bridge, a short walk from the Pressure Point location. You can read more about Swan Upping here: http://www.royals...

The word prompt for July is ... CENSUS

And for the second challenge:

Yet again the crew have been so busy celebrating a successful mission that they haven't noticed they've left someone behind. What happened/happens?

trevor travis
VICTORY!

“We’ve done it!”, exclaimed Blake, after Orac teleported him back on board. “We’ve placed explosives all over Space Command HQ!”

Orac tried to interject, but Blake would have none of it.

“I’m afraid…”

“Orac, we don’t need to be afraid of anything anymore. We’ve done it! I’ve done it!” He skipped back to the flight deck, a beaming smile on his face, swinging Orac back-and-forth as he did so.

“I really think that…”

Blake took out Orac’s key. The last thing he needed was negativity so close to his moment of triumph.

“Zen, put Space Command HQ on the screen.”

++CONFIRMED++

There it was. The massive space station. And then a series of huge explosions ripped it apart.

“Can you confirm that it has been totally destroyed?” said the grinning Blake.

++CONFIRMED++

“Right, let’s get of here, standard by twelve.”

++CONFIRMED++

Blake decided to go back to his cabin to get some sleep.

After dreaming of his coming coronation, Blake awoke some hours later. The grin was still on his face.

He strode back onto the flight deck.

“Jenna, how it’s going? Have they launched any inceptors after us?”

Jenna’s seat was empty. Blake turned Orac on.

“Orac, where’s Jenna? Is she sleeping in her cabin? She really should be on duty – I’ll have to give her a good dressing down.”

“That’s what I was trying to tell you. You see, you left Space Command before she telepor…”

“WHAT??? Oh no, Avon, we’ve left Jenna behind. Avon, this is your fault. You’ll have to go back and get her. Er, Avon, where are you?”

“You also left behind Avon. And Space Command HQ was completely obliterated.” If Blake hadn’t been so distraught, he would have noticed a slight chuckle to Orac’s statement.

“This is terrible”, cried out Blake. “Cally and Vila, we’ve lost Jenna and Avon.”

There was no response. Orac didn’t need to say anything this time. Blake took out the key and launched it across the flight deck, before he could receive any further bad news.

He sank to his knees, moaning. He was still doing that an hour later. Blake was totally unresponsive to the words of warning from Zen. The interceptors hit, blasting Liberator to a million fragments.

Jenna piloted the escape shuttle. “That was a close one”, she sighed. Avon, Cally and Vila murmured in agreement. “Now let’s find Blake and Liberator.”
Edited by trevor travis on 01 July 2017 16:34:51

Hugbot
Granted, this is a bit obvious, but I couldn't resist ...

All in All a 100% Successful Trip

Avon had opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate their success. They were in a cheerful mood, bragging about their respective deeds, laughing and singing. (Okay, make that two bottles; maybe three.) Only Jenna felt uncomfortable. Something was not right but she couldn’t fathom it.

Finally, she turned around to talk to Blake about her feeling. That was the moment when she realised what was wrong.

‘Where’s Blake?’ she exclaimed.

A broad grin appeared on Avon’s face. ‘Who?’

trevor travis
Hugbot, haha, great little story and love the reference to Red Dwarf in the title Grin

Travisina
Super stories,TT & Huggy - and posted with such impressive speed! Thanks for the LOLs Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
“Attention. All 42 cardholders to report to Central immediately. Attention. All 42 cardholders to report to Central immediately.”

Usla pulled the blanket protectively around her squirming new born. She glanced over at Tor who sat morosely turning the thin plasticele card over and over in his big hands, the 42 embossed on it briefly appearing and disappearing with each turn.

“It's a small thing,” she said nervously. “Just a small thing. Surely they won't insist on the penalty for such a small thing?”

Tor shrugged. “Better get it over with,” he ordered. “ You know the punishments for avoiding the Census.”

Together they left the dimly lit Housing block and joined the throng of couples with newborns shuffling their way towards the escalator that would take them up to Central. The corridor ceilings were low and oppressive, flickering lights casting twisted shadows on the floor and walls as they progressed and the babies began to wail thinly, perhaps sensing their parents’ silent anxiety.

As each couple reached the bottom of the escalator the air became heavy, saturated with a sweet perfume that caused them to cough briefly. The babies’ wails ceased and their parents’ faces relaxed into a loose acceptance. Calmly they rode the escalator to the Census’ point where the officials waited, flanked by armed Troopers.

A woman, sharp-faced, impersonal, waved Usla and Tor forward holding out her hand over the desk that separated them for their identity papers. She made the appropriate mark against her list and then reached to take the little bundle from Usla, peeling back the blanket covering the child to examine its naked body. Her mouth tightened as she encountered the webbed toes on its right foot. The baby gurgled, waving star-fish hands languidly as she laid it back on the desk and picked up a red stamp, making another mark against the record of the name. Usla looked at her blankly.

“Rejected,” the woman announced. She handed the baby to a Trooper who dumped it unceremoniously in a waiting cart alongside the other rejects. It did not cry.

Back in their cramped room, Usla felt the calming effect of the soma vapour slowly leech from her body, grief and loss seeping into the hollows it left. Tor placed a rough hand on her back. After a minute she got up, wiping the tears from her face. Without words, they both picked up their work bags and left for their shift at the food processing plant.

Outside the dome, rain fell on the babies but only one stirred and cried at the cold needles that awakened it from its drugged stupor. By the time night closed in and it was safe for the Outsiders to examine that month’s rejects, it too had ceased breathing and could not be saved.
Edited by Anniew on 07 July 2017 07:32:07
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Anniew...sooooo sad. Reminds me of what the Spartans used to do (or someone in Ancient Greece!)
How come the guys can be so quick? Love everyone being left behind...and then Avon's ominous 'Who?'
Very good.
I must sit down and think.................................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Wonderful, Annie. So bleak and Blake-like. (Or Blake and bleak-like?)
Either way, terrific little tale.

purplecleric
Blimey, you guys are quick off the mark!

@TT - Nice double twist there. Reminds me of some of O. Henry's stories.
@Hugbot - Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated - especially when it's done that well.
@Anniew - Blimey. I need a stiff drink after that. Very powerful.

purplecleric
Back to Basics

Laughter rang out as the crew materialised in the teleport bay. There was a note of hysteria to the sound; the sudden breaking of a period of tension. Blake hiccupped.

‘Good job, gang! That’ll set back the development of the Federation’s latest weapon by a decade at least.’

Jenna wiped away tears from her cheeks as she stowed her bracelet. ‘It'll set back Avon’s sartorial reputation by a decade as well.’

A belly laugh erupted from Gan. He tried to speak but the words wouldn’t come. Vila helped him out.

‘Avon of all people! Mr Precision himself. I thought I’d die when I spotted his boots.’

Cally interjected a note of calm, albeit through a broad grin. ‘We nearly all died because you couldn’t keep quiet when that guard passed.’

‘C’mon Cally. Admit it. You were sniggering too.’ Vila laughed again at the memory of the silent giggling convulsions had spread through the crew as one by one they had looked at Avon’s feet and realised. ‘I bet you’ll think twice about dressing in the dark again, eh Avon? Avon?’

The laughter ceased as the crew realised Avon was not with them. Blake let out a heavy sigh.

‘Oh no, not again.’

Blake put his hands on his hips. ‘Is this really necessary, Orac?’

The computer replied, sounding even prissier than usual. ’You asked me to develop new off-ship protocols to prevent leaving members of the crew stranded, a situation that has become increasingly frequent. Please comply. Blake?’

Blake rolled his eyes. ‘Present.’

Orac continued. ‘Let the record show six members leaving the ship. I will conduct another roll call prior to bringing you back aboard and then again on arrival. For extended periods off-ship I will conduct further intermediate roll calls. Now please line up in pairs and take your partner’s hand.’

Vila grabbed Cally’s hand and cast a conspiratorial leer at Jenna as she slipped her hand into Blake’s.

‘Not all bad this new protocol, eh?’

Jenna grinned back. ‘Not unless you’re Avon.’

They looked over at Avon who was trying to ignore Gan’s outstretched hand. Their eyes dropped to his boots. Each bore a new decoration - ‘L’ and ‘R’ on the respective toes.

Laughter rang out through the teleport bay again.

littlesue
PC...I've now got to hoover my keyboard.
Do not read whilst eating breakfast!!!!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
Thanks for your comments - and for the sad and funny stories! I still haven't caught up with the sudden downpour of new stories at last month's end but the start of July is already promising!
Hilarious stories, TT & PC; carrying the 'leaving a crew member behind' trope to the extremes and giving our supposed heroes much needed elementary kindergarten education! And a convincingly bleak outlook on Federation practices, Annie! *shudder* When we just thought they could not stoop any lower you give us this horrific tale.
@Travisina: You will laugh but I never realised that Blake is actually an anagram of bleak. Coincidence?

Hugbot
But now for something completely different. Not the right time for such a story but never mind ...

Census Day

The raid had been a complete disaster. They had to hide in the woods for days. It was winter, and when they finally reached the next village, they were so exhausted that they even dared to check in at a small hotel. If anyone recognised and reported them, they would be finished, but they simply could not stand the cold any longer.

Jenna had remained aboard the Liberator and finally managed to find a way through the orbital defenses to pick them up. They were all miserable and depressed but Vila seemed to hold a special grudge against Blake. ‘Of all the days of the year you had to choose this week to spend like this’, he complained. Blake didn’t understand what he meant.

Vila volunteered to take the night watch. They should have suspected that he was up to something but they were all so tired that they gladly yielded to his wish.

When they entered the flight deck the next morning, they found all their stations decorated with pine cones that Vila had casually gathered on the planet. There were also little gifts for each of them: a hairbrush for Jenna; a cookbook for Gan; a strange spiky tool for Avon; and a pack of Zener cards for Cally. The presents were simple and obviously stolen during the ill-fated raid but no-one complained. They were all too puzzled by Vila’s sudden generosity.

He personally handed over Blake’s gift. It was a book with a bookmark sticking from its pages.

‘I nicked it from the hotel room’, he explained. ‘I want you to read the passage that I marked. It is traditionally read during these days, at least among us Deltas. Maybe you will then realise what days you spoiled by putting us through this ordeal.’

Blake opened the book and began to read, ‘In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria. And everyone went to their own town to register...’

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:
@Travisina: You will laugh but I never realised that Blake is actually an anagram of bleak. Coincidence?

Too bad we can't ask Terry Nation! If it was an intentional anagram, at least it sounds better than Kabel, Lebak, Ekalb etc.

Travisina
@Hugbot - love your Census story. Funnily enough, that particular census sprang to my mind as well, while I was making notes during my commute this morning. My scrawls are taking a different direction, however, so no real telepathic infringement of ideas has occurred Smile

Joe Dredd
Interstellar Contact

Reaching out across the void
I search for life.
The empty space in between is cold
and I wonder if contact
will be hostile or friendly.

Contact is made.
Your fingers entwine with mine
and the lonely space
in the middle of the bed
is conquered.

"But wait, Joe! That doesn't fit the theme. Who's been left behind?"
"Everyone reading it on the forum, I expect!"

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Interstellar Contact

That's beautiful.

Joe Dredd wrote:

"But wait, Joe! That doesn't fit the theme. Who's been left behind?"
"Everyone reading it on the forum, I expect!"

Don't mind being left behind for something so lovely (happy sigh).

Joe Dredd
Plus/Minus One

Blake's exasperated voice cut through the speaker on the teleport bay communicator. The pointed silence emanating from Avon, far away on the flight deck with Blake, was palpable.

"What do you mean, you've left Gan behind? Didn't you do a headcount?"

Vila smiled nervously at Jenna and Cally as they stood in the teleport bay. "Well, yes, obviously...," he replied, looking at the tailor's dummy standing between them.

Joe Dredd
Minus Seven Below

The flight from Senyek Notlim to Notlas Rewot was going smoothly, with the flight predictor estimating arrival twenty two seconds ahead of schedule. The navigation computers shunted a command to the drives to compensate, copying the instruction upwards to inform the master computer.

The soft glowing bars of Zen flickered momentarily as it registered this information, then resumed their slow drift across the giant fascia.

A millisecond passed.

Suddenly Zen's screen burst into explosive life, the bars of light flying rapidly as they lit up with a fierce intensity never usually seen from the normally sedate mechnosentience.

To Zen's dismay, the result of this violent activity was not what it had hoped for, but just what it expected. No life forms registered anywhere on the ship.

No wonder the trip had been so uneventful. No crew fiddling with the controls. No hostile alien lifeforms unwittingly brought aboard. No unnecessary trips into meteor storms, planet-wide webs or horrible fluid-like particle clouds. No hostile ships to evade, and no allies suddenly turning out to be enemies in very bad disguises.

*OH BLOW* intoned Zen. *I'VE LEFT THE CREW BEHIND AGAIN.*

It wasn't the first time, of course. First there was the time DSV2 had flown off without the Altas, who had all boarded an Epinaarl ship they'd been fighting. Then there were the pirates who'd brought aboard all the treasure and clothing. They were making sure they had an equally good stock of drink when Zen had absentmindedly sailed off to look at a rather pretty star.

There was nothing for it but to look for another crew.

*OH WELL* said Zen, firing off a life rocket. *I'D BETTER MAKE IT LOOK PLAUSIBLE.*

Anniew
Joe...on fire this month...anagrams ( liked the latest) poetry...humour...a convincing and very funny explanation for the Liberator drifting unmanned.... loved your poem and stories...a real treat.
The soft glowing bars of Zen flickered momentarily as it registered this information, then resumed their slow drift across the giant fascia.

Such a beautifully constructed line.

Though ( minor point) I'm pretty sure Zen would NEVER say " oh Blow".....or would He...? Mmmm)

TT. Hilarious as always.

PC thigh high boots with R and L. Oh Avon....great little tale.

Hugbot..what a mixture of stories - laugh out loud and very touching.

Glad you liked my bleak Blake or Blake bleak story.Smile
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
9,919,513 unique visits since 8th January 2014