Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 2
One Spare Part, Hugbot

· Total Rebels: 1,007
· Newest Rebel: Jen

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [25 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [16 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [19 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [19 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [7 Votes]

Votes: 118
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Infinity magazine
MLPasterisk
Issue 8 of Infinity magazine on sale this week has a Blake's 7 cover and pin up and an article on season one.

rojkerr1
thank u

MLPasterisk
It's an interesting article, although there are some howlers in it.

There wasn't a computer called "Slave One" in Blake's 7. That was Boba Fett's spaceship in The Empire Strikes Back !

The article says that Terry Nation originally planned to kill of Vila as he didn't like Michael Keating's comedic performance. It also says David Jackson was happy to leave as he wasn't happy with the lack of development for Gan. Not sure how true any of that actually is.

There are also marks out of 7 for each of the first season episodes.
These are bound to be controversial as these kind of lists always are. Mission To Destiny, Duel and Project Avalon all get low marks (just 1 out of 7 for Mission !) but I think they are all enjoyable episodes.

winnie-l
MLPasterisk wrote:It's an interesting article, although there are some howlers in it..
What?! Bloopers?! No - really?!
.... how endearingly authentically Blake's 7!!
Edited by winnie-l on 15 February 2018 09:02:27

Joe Dredd
MLPasterisk wrote:
The article says that Terry Nation originally planned to kill off Vila

That one's true, or (at least) I've heard it elsewhere.

rojkerr1
The BBC did take an audience poll on character popularity as one executive didn't care for Vila, it proved he was one of the most popular characters and so he stayed, David Jackson was axed because it was said that he was" taking up a lot of the screen "and his character had nowhere else to go after Breakdown.
I disagree, I did a short story set after the end of season 4 where he was the last survivor of the 7, wanted to adapt it as an another audioplay before Davids untimely death.
My theory was the limiter had cut in when he was "killed " in Pressure Point and frozen all his bodily processes so Blake believed he was dead. He woke up during his own autopsy and escaped into the wilds of Earth, amnesia kept him wandering, until he saw the crew die on a newscast from Gauda prime..

winnie-l
rojkerr1 wrote: My theory was the limiter had cut in when he was "killed " in Pressure Point and frozen all his bodily processes so Blake believed he was dead.
rojkerr1, you know, I could buy that & what you describe sounds like a good story!
Can we read it anywhere online?
amnesia kept him wandering
If that was amnesia only about his personal identity, I could buy that too. Might Gan have found + linked up with on-Earth Rebel groups, & been of great use to them with his background Liberator experience with Rebel planning+strategy?

rojkerr1
Hi winnie, will try and find it, sure I've got it somewhere was called Survivor

rojkerr1
David Jackson loved the idea, he was very pleased with the concept. he was the only real scifi fan amongst all the original cast, loved Asimov etc, really nice man

winnie-l
rojkerr1 wrote:David Jackson ... was the only real scifi fan amongst all the original cast, loved Asimov etc
A SURE SIGN OF INTELLIGENCE! (surely The Good Doctor would say!)

When I got this Linux SysAdmin job the first server I bought & put into production (2006) was "asimov" (running, aptly, ScientificLinux). And he's STILL RUNNING TODAY!
Good old asimov!

Grade Four Ignorant
I remember reading a fanfiction years ago where Soolin was the only survivor of Gauda Prime and that her Federation interrogator was a brainwashed Gan.

I think there's some truth to the David Jackson mention, as apparently after a readthrough he gave a note to Chris Boucher saying '4'. When questioned, Jackson said it was the number of lines he had in the episode.

And yes, Nation wasn't impressed with how Vila turned out - he originally envisioned him as a Simon Templar type: a witty, cunning and athletic gentleman thief. Conversely, his original idea for Avon was for him to be the snivelling, trecherous lackey to the more Avonesque gangster Arco.

The original plan was for Vila to die at Control, and later both he and Jenna would die at Star One, but both plans were rejected.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
rojkerr1 wrote:

The BBC did take an audience poll on character popularity as one executive didn't care for Vila, it proved he was one of the most popular characters .

IIRC, a similar thing happened to Murdock in The A-Team. TPTB thought he was a weak character but he was a big hit with audiences. So they kept him.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.40 seconds
12,755,806 unique visits since 8th January 2014