Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 18

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,043
· Newest Rebel: Solaris

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [29 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 128
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What scared you?
briggsy1
We can't mention scary moments in Dr.Who and omit the drowning scene in Deasly Assassin which caused Mary Whitehouse sleepless nights and Terror of the Autons with waxwork dummies coming to life, leading to questions being asked in the House of Parliament.

sweevo
Which resulted in said moment being cut and deleted from the master tapes for future transmissions (it only survives thanks to an off-air recording).

Lurena
The Birds in Alfred Hitchcock's horror film "Birds".
Attacks by hundreds of birds, even breaking into the house.
It was too realistic and could happen everywhere.
I had a fear for groups of birds for some time.

And yes, Hugbot, those Frogs! The aliens of the series "Raumpatrouille - Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion".
It was hard not to get one freaked out by them.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Hugbot
Klenotka wrote:

Krabat: The Sorcerer's Apprentice - animated story from 1977, by the King of our animation, Karel Zeman.

I love that! I think I even prefer it to the modern life-action version. I was a teenager when I saw it for the first time, and even at that age, it felt distinctly uneasy. The scene where the coffin rebuilds itself after Krabat tries to destroy it is one of those that you'll never forget!

Anniew
Invaders from Mars! Not a brilliant film but I still turn cold when I think of the little boy finding that one by one, his family and friends have red marks on their neck which indicate they have been taken over by aliens.
Any films with Vampires. I used to sleep with something around my neck to frustrate any that flew in through my window in bat form and attempted to bite me.

The Pit and the Pendulem and the Mask of Red Death.

Super freaked out by horror films still and don’t watch them..
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Endless Midnight
sweevo wrote:

Which resulted in said moment being cut and deleted from the master tapes for future transmissions (it only survives thanks to an off-air recording).

Reinstated in the video and DVD releases too, so there may be a repaired version for the restored master copy.

Joe Dredd
This gave me a few anxious nights a couple of years ago: Too Many Cooks.

On one level it's a send up/affectionate parody of US sitcom titles, with the additional joke that as it goes on and on, the size of the family becomes unfeasibly large. As you watch it however, there's a more sinister aspect going on with a serial killer type guy hiding in the background in many of the shots, with the family oblivious that he's there. It freaked me out once I noticed and even though I logically knew I was alone in the house (the family were away) I had an unaccountable fear that someone was lurking somewhere in the house. I'd much rather it was the hidden hippie from The Young Ones!

As a kid I remember being scared by the Lurgi episode of The Goon Show (which ends with Neddy Seagoon contracting the previously-mythical disease). There was another episode involving the Yeti which was quite sinister (no mention of Tooting Bec either!).

When I was in primary school my brother and I had to stay with some lady when my parents had to go away unexpectedly (family emergency). I recall being allowed to stay up to watch the start of some programme, in which a lady was woken up by (unseen) aliens, who lure her to the garden where she fell down into a pit and died.

Oblivious woman looking after us: "Okay boys, bed time!"

I don't know that I slept much that night!

Joe Dredd
Oh yes, and the big ant thing falling out of a cupboard in "The Ark in Space" (or whatever that Tom Baker DW story is with Nerva beacon). We had Doctor Who on every weekday so it got repeated a few times. It made me jump out of my skin every time, but I think I enjoyed it as I still watched even though I knew it was coming.

sweevo
I'd like to add the climax to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - three simple words: "He choose... poorly."

briggsy1
Those 1970s public information films used to turn me a whiter shader of pale. In particular one about the dangers of climbing electricity lines.

Psychostrategist
briggsy1 wrote:

[...] with waxwork dummies coming to life, leading to questions being asked in the House of Parliament.

Some M.P.s concerned about being replaced presumably.

Yes, that scene from The Deadly Assassin also scared me at the time, single digit ages or thereabouts. Dr Who and BBC in general do very convincing trench warfare scenes. They take you and put you the watcher right in the battlefield, or that's what happens to me. Even new Dr Who, which I avoid due to mountains of Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation propaganda splashed all 'round, did really well early on with a WWI-inspired episode called The Empty Child with some scary kid running around in a gas mask. The scare effect that episode had was a blend between the trench warfare of Genesis of the Daleks and the Weeping Angels from the show's current run.

rojkerr1
public info film me too! The one voiced by Donald Pleasance about the dangers of flooded quarries etc, hooded dark figure

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

Dragons Domain is my fave space 1999 episode, amazing story, love End of eternity too, Peter Bowles very scary, and Deaths other Dominion, pure poetry...

Oh yes Peter Bowles played it brilliantly. Fantastic edge of the seat viewing. And what about The Troubled Spiri? A space ghosy story.. A mind blowing story AND some brilliant guitar playing.

dragonq
As a very tiny child--I was born in November, 1963--I remember being absolutely terrified by the Doctor Who theme music. Not the show, but the music. Every time it came on the television, that electronic wail sent me screaming. I also vividly recall my teenage uncle telling me that it was a really good show; but I would not believe him. Of course, about eight or nine years and a couple of doctors later, I realised that he was right!

Can anyone identify another childhood terror from early television. It was a show set, I think, in Victorian times, and it involved a pincushion, shaped like a pumpkin, that magically grew into a giant malevolent pumpkin that chased the children around. I would love to know if anyone else remembers it. I had the most terrible nightmare as a result of watching it; I must have been about five at the time, which would put this in the late sixties.

One Spare Part
briggsy1 wrote:

We can't mention scary moments in Dr.Who and omit the drowning scene in Deasly Assassin which caused Mary Whitehouse sleepless nights and Terror of the Autons with waxwork dummies coming to life, leading to questions being asked in the House of Parliament.

Dr who and the daemons really shook me as a child but left me with a lifelong love of mythology...which made me watch Children of the Stones which had some fantastically scary scenes ( for children)... then rediscovering Nigel Kneale via the Stone Tapes...and a tantalizing scene from an anthology series in the 70s in which patrick mower is sitting at his desk unaware that a risen from the dead Egyptian Queen is standing behind him...

rojkerr1
it's a zitar!

Psychostrategist
A scary theme, the original Dr Who theme. I thought I remembered watching a TV special on Dr Who that claimed some portion of the theme was someone scraping something metal against a bed frame but I can't find mention of that now so it may inaccurate. Found this though:
www.youtube.com/w...&hf=18

No synthesizers, no musicians. I don't know if the BBC had a sound library at this point but probably did; maybe all parts of it came from that stock.

This is a better video on the theme's creation and the woman the BBC now alleges was responsible for making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnmSgaeGAI&hf=18

It's funny; I think this video mentioned Ron Grainer approximately once. This is interesting history and may be accurate but it's a bit like the theme pushed by movies like Hidden Figures in that I've never heard of this person before but now after many decades the powers that be are saying she's the one that made it possible.

Apparently she was a pioneer in electronic music but most of her stuff was unpublished until after her death. Torrenting some of it right now. Sort of like early techno, I guess.

This is a better video on the creation of the theme and the roles of people involved. The theme as we know it is largely hers.
www.youtube.com/w...&hf=18
The music out there that she's made is beautiful, sort of ambient techno.
Edited by Psychostrategist on 15 April 2018 08:48:46

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
14,752,689 unique visits since 8th January 2014