Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,079
· Newest Rebel: M1795537 OC Virn

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [34 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [21 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [10 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [21 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [23 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [11 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 141
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Magic Bullet productions
bob79519
Before the days of Big Finish and their version of filling in the missing gaps of Blake's 7, another company did just that, only very differently. They were Magic Bullet Productions, and before they were officially formed, they produced a few interesting results. So today, I would like to talk about them and their work.

First, there's the comic: Counterattack, which takes place between series 2 and 3 and shows what happened during the Intergalactic War (think of it as a prototype of 'Warship'Wink http://kaldorcity...ack_1.html

Then their's the audios. The first is The Mark Of Kane, which has 2 parts. The first takes place in series 2 and establishes how Travis came into contact with the aliens that were in Star One. The second part takes place in series 4 and follows Blake as he tries to avenge Jenna. https://www.youtu...A7BC87ED69

Then there's The Logic of Empire. It takes place after series 4 and shows who survived and what happened afterwards. https://www.youtu...ADFCDA9B0C

Finally, there's Travis: The Final Act, which is a surreal audio documentary which provided the background for The Mark of Kane, and ultimately led to the creation of Kaldor City (this will be important later). I have no idea where you can buy it, but you can a transcript of it here (along with some analysis). http://kaldorcity...index.html

Then finally, it's onto the written stories. The first was Electronic Dream, showing what happened between series 3 and 4, very tragic. http://kaldorcity...comic.html

Next, we have: When Travis met Blake. It's exactly as it sounds. http://kaldorcity...blake.html

Finally, we have some fiction for The Mark of Kane tie-ins http://kaldorcity...index.html and some for The Logic of Empire (including a specific, interesting and unpredictable explanation as for how Avon survived Gauda Prime, since the audio leaves it vague). http://kaldorcity...index.html

(Note, we're going to be talking about material I have not read or heard, so if I get any facts wrong, I apologise in advance).

After the success of Travis: The Final Act, it was agreed to make Doctor Who and Blake's 7 part of the same universe. Chris Boucher agreed and set it-up in the Doctor Who novel: Corpse Marker, which acted as a sequel to Robots of Death. The crossover elements are introduced with Carnell (who was in the Blake's 7 episode; Weapon), along with characters from Robots of Death.

Afterwards, a series of audio's were produced, featuring the surviving character's of Robots of Death (along with other Doctor Who elements that Chris Boucher created). They also had a character named Kaston Iago, who is played by Paul Darrow (and is heavily implied to be Kerr Avon).

There's even a short story with Carnell http://kaldorcity...ggery.html

The last release was in 2012: Metafiction, which revealed that Kaston Iago is Kerr Avon (in a way that does not infringe on copyright).

rojkerr1
I do love the Carnell story, thought he was an excellent character, admired the actor since Day of the Daleks! glad u found Premature Burial interesting. Did u like Prelude. Wrote that one several years before Mark of Kane. and Gothic?

bob79519
rojkerr1 wrote:

I do love the Carnell story, thought he was an excellent character, admired the actor since Day of the Daleks! glad u found Premature Burial interesting. Did u like Prelude. Wrote that one several years before Mark of Kane. and Gothic?

Prelude was an interesting little piece, and Gothic was fulfilling. I'm thinking of writing a Blake's 7 fanfic and if I do, I'll include Doctor Who aliens and monsters.

rojkerr1
Thanks Bob, I have the internal artwork for Logic of Empire tape release, original in colour, beautiful, let me know where your work appears
best Dave
ps Terry Nation was thinking of putting Daleks in B7 at one point

bob79519
rojkerr1 wrote:

Thanks Bob, I have the internal artwork for Logic of Empire tape release, original in colour, beautiful, let me know where your work appears
best Dave
ps Terry Nation was thinking of putting Daleks in B7 at one point

I know.

rojkerr1
oky doke. Good luck with it

bob79519
OK, as part of my new year's resolutions, I have decided to listen to Kaldor City, which meant starting with the book that set it up: Corpse Marker. It's an alright read, it's definitely more Doctor Who than Blake's 7. The only element from Blake's 7 in here is Carnell, who is definitely written in-character and gets more to do than he did in that awful Blake's 7 episode he was in (not even the Federation gets a mention. The closest is that it's mentioned that Carnell was on the run for 2 years before arriving at Kaldor City, who have abandoned space travel, which is probably why the Federation haven't invaded and taken over yet.

Anyway, next up, the first of the Kaldor City audios!

bob79519
Well Occam's Razor was an interesting listen. There's almost no music, and instead manly relies on sound effects, creating a unique atmosphere.

The story is quite simple. Somebody is killing members of the 20 family's on Kaldor City and Uvanov hires Kaston Iago (played by Paul Darrow), to find out who.

It's a very enjoyable story (even if there is a surprising amount of swearing).

And as to the question of: Is Kaston Iago actually Kerr Avon? Well it's mentioned that Iago is on the run (same as Carnell) from the Federation. Other than that, no other evidence so far.

Anyway, onto whatever is next!

winnie-l
bob79519 wrote:And as to the question of: Is Kaston Iago actually Kerr Avon? Well it's mentioned that Iago is on the run (same as Carnell) from the Federation. Other than that, no other evidence so far.

Hoping this is not bad/unpleasant spoiler: There is (IMHO positive) evidence on CD#4 regarding mention of the "Butcher of Zircaster".
Reference B7 19.Trial script as to who that is.

[Edited by mod to hide spoiler. Highlight text to reveal it.]

bob79519
winnie-l wrote:

bob79519 wrote:And as to the question of: Is Kaston Iago actually Kerr Avon? Well it's mentioned that Iago is on the run (same as Carnell) from the Federation. Other than that, no other evidence so far.

Hoping this is not bad/unpleasant spoiler: There is (IMHO positive) evidence on CD#4 regarding mention of the "Butcher of Zircaster".
Reference B7 19.Trial script as to who that is.

[Edited by mod to hide spoiler. Highlight text to reveal it.]

Let me finish listening to the series (including both version of Metafiction), and I'll let you know what I think.

Anyway, continuing on my journey through Kaldor City, we first have a short story: Skulduggery. Taking place shortly before Death's Head, it clarifies a few character motivations and set's up the events of Death's Head. It's a shame we'll never get a audio version of it.

Anyway, Death's Head is the only audio written by Chris Boucher himself and it's an interesting listen. It keeps the listener constantly guessing what's really going on (assuming you didn't read Skulduggery first) and is quite interesting to listen to.

Anyway, no mention of Iago's past here, so I'll see you next time.

bob79519
Hidden Persuaders is the interesting continuation of the Kaldor City story, not much to discuss here, other than the fact that Nicholas Courtney makes a brief appearance in the story, as well as Alistair Lock, Brian Croucher and David Collings.

bob79519
Taren Capelis another interesting story which gives a whole to meaning to Robots of Death and ends on a jaw-dropping cliffhanger.

bob79519
Just listened to Checkmate, a brilliant reveal tying into another one of Chris Boucher's Doctor Who works and the biggest cliffhanger yet!

bob79519
Just listened to Storm Mine, what a bizarre and somewhat unsatisfying conclusion to the series.

bob79519
Just listened to Metafiction (the one with the standard ending), it's a short and interesting listen. And it pretty much confirms that Kaston Iago is Kerr Avon (although he says his real name is Paul Darrow). I'll let you all know what I think of it after I listen to the Time Waster and the alternate ending of Metafiction (which won't be for some time).

bob79519
Oh, and before I forget, I also listened to The Prisoner. It is probably the strangest discussion about fantasy and reality I have ever heard.

Psychostrategist
I thought Time Waster was a hell of a fun story, very convoluted, very funny, great performance by Paul Darrow.

I agree the end to Kaldor City turned into a metaphysical fizzle for me too, but as a whole I very much enjoyed it and bought it on audio cassette back nearer the time of release.

One B7 audio I've been trying to find is the one with Colin Salmon as Avon. I think it was about a six part series; one part was entitled 'Kerona'. Can't find it now though.

Nothing really can compare to the actual television series for me though. However the whole Kaldor City series minus the last one or two parts comes close, probably because it wasn't a rehash or retelling or reimagining but a closer look at a place and characters that played a small part in both Doctor Who and Blake's 7.

Travisina
Psychostrategist wrote:

One B7 audio I've been trying to find is the one with Colin Salmon as Avon. I think it was about a six part series; one part was entitled 'Kerona'. Can't find it now though.

Are you thinking of the B7 Media rebooted audio version, and its prequels? That had Colin Salmon as Avon. Details here: Rebellion Reborn

It's actually one of the box sets on offer from Big Finish this week! Special Offers
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Psychostrategist
Much appreciated, Travisina!

I availed myself of their sale, ending in about a day or so here, to pickup Rebellion Reborn, which has some really big cast members I'd forgotten about, Carrie Dobro from B5:Crusade, Benedict Cumberbatch, Geoffrey Palmer... wow. And what a great price, ten bucks for the whole thing which is all six episodes. I think from a US vendor authorized by Big Finish it's twelve bucks for each. What ... a ... deal.

Also got Warship and part 1 of Liberator Chronicles.

Hours and hours and hours of new-to-me Blake's 7 audio and a familiar retelling I've had an itch to reacquaint myself with for quite some time.

Thanks again.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.67 seconds
19,152,200 unique visits since 8th January 2014