Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,048
· Newest Rebel: blamelewis

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [30 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 129
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
August 2018 Ficlet Challenge
TheElfandherFriends
Thank you Brad and Lorna! I have an idea for another fic set later the same evening, which I'll write over the weekend.

Ellen York
TheElfandherFriends wrote:

Thank you Brad and Lorna! I have an idea for another fic set later the same evening, which I'll write over the weekend.

Love the idea of Avon and Vila at a ritzy party and each enjoying it in their own way. I'll be looking forward to the sequel.

One Spare Part
Lorna wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

TheElfandherFriends wrote:

whooo hoo - first ever fic! Angry

Congratulations! I liked your fan fic!

So did I

Me too.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

One Spare Part
rojroj wrote:

Raine -- a very good depiction of Avon's childhood, and quite believable, too!

Athough he's a genius, I guess that in some ways he's no different from other children -- as all children at that age get attached to their toys and endow them with life and personality... How cruel that this was taken away from him.

Feeling the emotion Rainesz. Fits in very well with Avon as we know him.

Rainesz
Feeling the emotion Rainesz. Fits in very well with Avon as we know him.

@one spare part: Thanks! I was waiting for the right prompt to use my little idea about Avon and a robot dog. I hadn't expected it to be as sad as it turned out to be.

littlesue
Well every one else is off the mark with some fabulous stories.
So here's my Labour effort..
...as the Revels Saga continues where 'Blake' left off......
And another piccie by Lurena as well!

The Revels Saga:
The Finale
Part Two

Labour of Love

“So, you have finally got what you wanted,” Soolin smiled.
“Yes I have, haven’t I?” Avon replied.
“Was it worth it?”
“I’ll let you know.”
Both he and Soolin were in the viewing gallery of the old Mars Incorporated Company Manufacturing Plant, rediscovered by Blake and put back online for his own purposes and now in Avon’s possession; a parting gift from Blake.
They were both staring down at the production plant, once again in business, with Vila rubbing his hands in delight as each new concoction came off the production line...
“Well, Vila is happy,” Soolin continued,” Chief Chocolatier with his own band of red, fur clad helpers…A labour of love, he called it”
“Labour…I don’t think I’ve ever seen him work so hard; usually he tries to avoid any sort of exertion. And don’t forget, he’s also got that lake he’s always dreamed of...”
“Hmmm? He told me that he would have to look to see if you were around just in case you should feel the need to push him in. Why would he say that?”
“I’ve no idea…”
“And Dayna is in her element; trying out each chocolate delight and working on new weapons for the rebel alliance.”
Avon nodded absently.
“And Tarrant is the top gun, so to speak,” murmured Soolin, also bewildered at Vila’s sudden labour intensive mood, “… flying those same chocolate cargoes and weapons to the new independent systems.”
“Yes, it all seems to have worked out fine…”
“But not for you, has it?”
Avon was thoughtful. He had two regrets. One was that Cally wasn’t here; the other was that the woman who had ultimately caused her death was still out there.
“Are you still angry with Blake?”
“Annoyed, if anything…”
“You know, you could just leave. You now have the wherewithall. What’s to stop you?”
“What indeed?”
“You have the galaxy’s largest supply of Revels; Family packs as well as those smaller ones…”
“The ones that got me into this mess in the first place…”
“Will you ever forgive Blake?”
“Eventually…Now, what about you?” Avon asked.
Soolin was caught off guard by that question.
“I suppose I could stay around here for the moment…”
“There’s no need…”
“And miss out on all these new chocolate delights?”
“And what about that charming gentleman that you met? The one who made you an offer.”
“It’s very tempting…”
Vila chose that moment to enter; highly excited and beaming from ear to ear.
“Celebrations!”
“I wasn’t aware that there was a party,” Soolin smiled.
“No, these. Small versions of all your favourite Mars Inc sweets in one big box. Look; Mars Bars, Milky Ways…..”
Avon watched Soolin delve deeply into the brightly coloured box.
“Your turn,” Vila said to Avon, “Try one…and not a Revel in sight.”
“If you insist.”
Avon stared at Vila, who smiled sweetly back.
Soolin watched them both.
Somehow she was really going to miss all this…………….

i.imgur.com/4RAZmtO.jpg
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Lovely reads. Thank you Elf, Rainez and TT. Really enjoyed them.

And Sue...great revels resolution..do hope the hinted shipping of Avon and Soolin proves to be a real Easter Egg. Then the story could continue with Avon’s son producing only coffee flavoured chocs or going into the strong mint business just as an act of rebellion. ( I’m channelling that trebor advert and Hans Solo and what’s his name, his son. )
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Lovely reads. Thank you Elf, Rainez and TT. Really enjoyed them.

And Sue...great revels resolution..do hope the hinted shipping of Avon and Soolin proves to be a real Easter Egg. Then the story could continue with Avon’s son producing only coffee flavoured chocs or going into the strong mint business just as an act of rebellion. ( I’m channelling that trebor advert and Hans Solo and what’s his name, his son. )

Well now....that is a thought, but you will see.......

One Spare Part
LABOUR I
All my life, I've had to work hard to get where I wanted to be: staying just ahead of the law and right behind a wall of friends in times of danger. I've had to balance the odds just to stay even and sometimes, just sometimes, I got ahead of the game. Lately though, luck has begun to turn against me. I've made some bad choices, put my faith in the wrong people. Or maybe THEY've made some bad choices too. There's no accounting for that. I've had moments when I could have left but I stayed...stayed for...and here I am...there's nowhere left to run. I'm caught with my friends, finding the sands of luck have shifted beneath my feet. I'd taken the biggest gamble of my life and I've lost...BLAKE!...

One Spare Part
LABOUR II
I've always lived behind a facade. The face I wore was for other people's benefit...no...MY...benefit. If you give anything away, if you show how you feel, what you're thinking...well...that gives them power over you, doesn't it? I've worked hard to keep some part of me my own. It's safer that way and smarter too. When you're surrounded by fools the only way to stay alive is to disassociate yourself from their petty interactions. I made connections to move forward, stay ahead of the game. Yes, it's a game, isn't it, life? A balancing of odds, continually weighing up the options. Half of you is looking forward to the next chance, the other half is looking over your shoulder, reviewing past errors, wondering what if...there's no going back. I know that...NOW. So it was inevitable really that I should be here, now, with them, with you...BLAKE!...

littlesue
Well we thought about it for a while and then decided on one of Avon's old friends.
So, here is mine and Lurena's take on someone who really should have known better...
Piccie by Lurena

Tynus: A Friend Indeed

Ever since that first time in the Academy, they had stuck together, which to some onlookers was somewhat surprising as neither seemed to have anything in common.
Avon had the brains…
Tynus?
Well, an eye for detail, for one thing.
What they did have in common was the need to acquire wealth.
And to acquire wealth one had to be high up in the Federation, and that was exactly how they intended to be.
That first time had been a simple matter of hacking into the Academy computers and obtaining the questions to the all important exam; the one that would set them off on their quest for wealth.
Avon had sailed through…
…but Tynus?
Even with the questions already known to him, he failed to make the grade, until Avon had worked his ‘magic’ with the computers and Tynus had passed with flying colours.
i.imgur.com/H3WJ6du.jpg
And so it went on; Avon with his computers and Tynus?
Well, he ended up in a lowly position in the Federation banking system, but that was where Avon wanted him to be…
…needed him to be.
All had gone to plan, even though Avon had become somewhat distracted with a young woman.
But neither was swayed from their goal; to break into the Federation banking system and become so rich that no-one could touch them.
“But what if something goes wrong?” Tynus had asked nervously.
“It won’t, not if you do your part,” Avon had replied.
“I’ll do what you want me to do and then I’m out.”
“Scared of the heat, Tynus?”
“Look, if we get caught…”
“No-one but us knows about this. We’ll meet up later and share the spoils.”
“But…”
“Tynus, no-one will know about our association; I’ve seen to that. But should something go wrong, don’t say anything...”

He realised that something was brewing.
Too many people suddenly asking about procedures in the banking system...
Friendship or not, Tynus knew he had to apply for that posting.
It wasn’t an exciting prospect, but it would get him away from Earth…and from the eventual fall out should his acquaintance with Avon ever be discovered.
By the time Avon’s plan to defraud the Federation began…Tynus was on his way to a new life.
The ship headed out into the depths of space.
From his window seat, Tynus could see Earth growing smaller.
“Sorry old friend,” he murmured, “But needs must…”
He began to sketch the scene in the window.
He would never see Earth again and with luck, Avon would be out of his life forever.
So why did he feel a sudden sense of unease?

Anniew
Blake wearily pinched the bridge of his nose where a headache was forming. Why on Earth had he agreed to such a scheme?

“Don’t you think black walls and a black ceiling might be a little oppressive, Avon?” he tried tentatively. “I was thinking more along the lines of a nice mushroom or magnolia....”.

The snort of derision from the computer tec indicated that that suggestion had better curl up and die pretty quickly....Blake had expected that... What he hadn’t expected were the equally dismissive snorts from Jenna, Cally ..even Gan.

“Magnolia, Blake?” Jenna couldn’t have sounded more disappointed if he’d suggested painting the walls with goose turd green (secretly his second choice).

“We need something more punchy than a wishy washy beige, Blake..”.

God, even Gan was patronising him...

“It’s well documented that darker colours are more likely to induce a calm mood amongst those stressed by repeated adventures, Blake. I suggest a deep purple would best fit....”

“Adventures, Cally? Would that be an Auron euphemism for life and death struggles?” Avon interrupted.

“Yes well,” Blake intervened, not before the hiss of telepathic annoyance had exploded in all their heads causing a temporary disinterest in the problem in hand.... “Yes,” he continued once the stabbing pain had subsided.. “Well, Vila....we haven’t heard from you.”

“ I don’t see much wrong with the walls as they are, actually, “ Vila proffered diffidently. “I like silver grey...and painting the entire flight deck involves an awful lot of hard labour...”

“ What do you mean?”
“Trust you to avoid work.”
“Oh Vila..”
“Hard work never killed anyone.”
“ Zen, is this true?”

As the spontaneous responses died down, the silence was broken by Zen’s sonorous tones:

+Information. Vila Restal is correct. Ensuring the paint adheres to the walls would involve roughening the surfaces several times with an abrasive medium then washing them thoroughly with a solution of disaccharides and finally rinsing them with an aqua based solvent. All surfaces would then need to be primed, and under coated before...+

“ Do you have a timescale for such an enterprise?” Avon asked peremptorily. He was stroking one hand across the other...a sure sign he was rattled.

+Estimated time for preparation, 192 time units...Estimated time for priming the area, 72 time units ...Estimated time for undercoating the area, 48 time units...Estimated time for painting the area, 48 time units...+

“ 192 plus.....Good grief that’s about 3/4 of a year...” Blake worked out. “What happens to our rebellion in the meantime?”

“What indeed, “ Avon purred, perking up a little as Cally shook her head sadly while Gan stared into the middle distance with an expression that denoted deep thought or perhaps hunger.

+Estimated outfits ruined during the enterprise, + Zen continued, + 49... The Liberator will run out of leather before the work is completed and...+

“No leather!” Avon’s protest came out in a falsetto squeak and Jenna was now looking dubious.

“Silver grey it is then,” Vila observed.

And for once, no one disagreed with him.
Edited by Anniew on 25 August 2018 09:42:20

Ellen York
Painting in leather? Avon should just wear the top that looks like a painters smock and save the leather for away missions Smile

Anniew
Information.

As requested by Roj Blake, this unit has analysed the probably outcomes to the leather outfits worn by the crew during the re-painting of the flight deck and corridors, as follows. These outcomes will not be affected by an order from Roj Blake that crew members wear painting smocks during the operations.

4 outfits ruined when Kerr Avon sits at his station to find that Vila Restal has left his paint brush, paint tin lid, a spot of paint or dirty paint rag on it. (Kerr Avon suspects this is deliberate....he is right)

7 outfits ruined (various crew members) when rushing from quarters to flight deck in response to an emergency and brushing against a still damp wall.

3 outfits ruined when Olag Gan turns to answer a query with a paintbrush in hand and accidentally smears both Roj Blake’s and Jenna Stannis’ outfits. Kerr Avon’s is ruined when he is caught by Jenna Stannis smiling at her predicament.

3 outfits ruined when the Liberator passes through a swirly red space thingy and catapults crew members across the flight deck to collide with a newly painted wall.

8 outfits ruined when Kerr Avon argues with with Roj Blake on four separate occasions about whether to paint the ceilings before the walls, the upper walls before the lower, or whether to paint the walls at all.

8 outfits ruined when Kerr Avon argues with Roj Blake on four separate occasions about whether his decisions to paint the ceilings before the walls, the upper walls before the lower, or to paint the walls at all, were sensible decisions or those of a despotic maniac with the IQ of a slime worm.

3 outfits ruined by Cally when she falls under the influence of an alien presence and has to be restrained, resulting in paint damage to her own outfit and those of Roj Blake and Kerr Avon.

4 outfits ruined by Olag Gan when a power outage causes a temporary glitch in the operation of his limiter and he has to be restrained, resulting in paint damage to the outfits of Roj Blake, Kerr Avon, Jenna Stannis and Cally.

8 outfits ruined when paint fumes cause Vila Restal to come over all funny and bump into Roj Blake while he is holding an open paint pot just as Jenna Stannis, Kerr Avon and Cally are passing down the corridor with replacement outfits.

1 outfit ruined when Kerr Avon overestimates the stretch potential of skin tight leather and reaches up to fill in a bit the the other morons he is forced to work with have missed.

Any staining caused by paint purchased by Roj Blake will prove to be impervious to normal dry cleaning and only removable by processes that will shrink the outfits rendering them unwearable.
Edited by Anniew on 28 August 2018 16:05:14

Travisina
He stared out of the window as the transport approached the city. It had been a long week - the longest of his life - and everything hurt.

His father sat in silence beside him, radiating disapproval, until the bleak countryside gave way to the narrow streets and tall buildings of the city's financial district. Then he shifted and cleared his throat. "Well, I hope that's taught you a lesson," he said. "Some physical work will have done you good. I think the magistrates gave you a fair punishment."

The boy turned to look at him. "Fair?" His voice broke, and he swallowed back treacherous tears.

"You asked for it, you wretched little thief," snapped his father.

"I didn't ask for this!" The boy pulled up his tunic to reveal livid bruises across his chest and back. "I couldn't keep up with the others, so they beat me."

His father gave an unsympathetic shrug. "You should have worked faster," he said. "Or smarter..."

The boy pondered those words. "Smarter..." he repeated. He glanced out of the window at the glass and steel buildings that housed the Federation banking complex .

"We're meeting your mother at her office," his father said. "What are you going to tell her?"

The boy sniffed. "That I've learned my lesson."

"And?"

"I won't steal people's things any more."

"And?"

"I'll concentrate on my studies."

"Which are...?"

"Maths and computers."

His father smiled. "Good boy, Kerr."
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Oooh that’s a very nice story Travisina. Simple, moving, plausible. And Sue I liked your Tynus back story. (the rat!).

Travisina
Thanks, Annie !

My first ficlet since February, yay! It's so lovely to get back to writing after all those loooooooooooooong months of editing Wink.

Meanwhile, I've really enjoyed reading everybody else's stories. Well done to everyone - top notch stuff!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
15,229,820 unique visits since 8th January 2014