Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 17

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,059
· Newest Rebel: Johnrcamm

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [32 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [20 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 133
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
New Dr Who
meegat39
Hello, just posting to say that I watched Dr Who tonight with some trepidation, fearful of the way the new lady doctor would be written. Well on the whole it was a relief! There were a few moments when I was worried when she couldn't remember who she was, but that was a temporary wobble. Overall, I thought the writing was okay and Jodie was great in the role. I felt her performance was convincing but at the same time you can tell she is an experienced actor. A promising start.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
I thought Jodie did OK, but the episode was very, very dull. I can't believe Chris Chibnall thinks that was a satisfactory script for a season opener.

Child Of Auron
I am still evaluating.

It certainly wasn't as bad as I feared but overall it was a bit bland. Jodie could grow on me, her mannerisms are Doctor-like but I am not sure her voice carries the gravitas, maybe a better script will help.

TT - Chibnall hasn't exactly proven himself as a fantastic scriptwriter in Who or Torchwood so maybe he thought he had written a great opener?

JustBrad
I find myself in agreement with TT and CofA, and like the latter, I am still evaluating, and will be for several more episodes. I enjoyed the episode more than I expected to, but I have some niggles.

Like CofA, I also mentioned during the ep that Jodi's Doctor lacked gravitas, but hopefully that will change. Doctors are always a little off in their opening episode. Alas, I found the plot derivative. Wasn't Smith's opener basically an alien saying, Help me find what I want or I will kill humans, and the countdown has begun?

Passing grade, but improvement needed. Or maybe i'm just feeling disoriented by all the changes at once.

I missed Capalid, I even missed Bill and I even missed Moffat, but I missed Murray Gold most of all.

New Doctor I could handle, new companions I could handle, new look I could handle, but added to all of that, new incidental music had me feeling like I was watching something other than DW.

Nevertheless, Life, and Doctor Who goes on.

One Spare Part
Dr Who may go on but sadly for me I won't be going with it. There have been a number of issues for me with Dr Who since it was restarted with Ecclestone et al but what has killed it for me is the BBC advertising it with the tagline "It's about time". I just think this is politicising what is still, at heart, a children's programme. Big NO for me. I wish they had bumped off the Old Doc and replaced him with a new one: male female human alien: I don't care. I think it needs a change of attitude and this is just more of the same disguised as being cutting edge. I will stick with Classic Who. Good luck to it though.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Dtar
[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2661&pid=134371#post_134371]One Spare Part wrote:[/url
(Snip)
wish they had bumped off the Old Doc and replaced him with a new one: male female human alien: I don't care. I think it needs a change of attitude and this is just more of the same disguised as being cutting edge. I will stick with Classic Who. Good luck to it though.

I agree, I think they shouldn't have reset the regenerations and tried to continue on with the same formula forever, as if it won't get stale like it did in the late 80s. I feel that eventually you'll have so many different doctors with different quirks and personality traights that the doctor will have been like every possible person and therefore kind of meaningless. I also think they are too slavishly devoted to Troughtons rule or whatever it's called, that an actor should go 3 series as the doc and no more. If someone is good in the role and likes the role, let them stay longer, I say.

dragonq
I havenít even had the energy to watch it.

littlesue
I'm not too sure about the music at all. I need to listen to it again. For some unknown reason I started thinking that Tim Shaw was in fact an evil Tooth Fairy (don't ask!!) and then the moment I saw the crane...Quatermass and the Pit sprung to mind. How will this change be explained to the original Dr's Granddaughter (Susan) or his Daughter?
I thought Bradley Walsh was excellent. I've watched him in Law and Order UK over the years...and it was quite an eye opener when I first saw him in that!
I'll watch it next week....to see how it pans out.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
littlesue wrote:

I thought Bradley Walsh was excellent

^This

rojkerr1
Enjoyed it, fell asleep for a lot of Capaldi stories, he was excellent it was Moffats writing that was abysmal. I am more a classic Who fan,Liked Eccleston tho - but I liked the new Drs pzazz! she has the right quality, music remix better than the last awful reedy one.

Anniew
I didnít love it. Plot and dialogue pretty average and moments of boredom because it was pretty obvious what would happen next. I also kept wondering what the point of the episode was...it didnít seem to have any new ideas -just a fairly standard Earth in danger adventure. I felt Smile covered the same ground rather better. That said, granddaughter was genuinely scared on a couple of occasions by the monster. She loved Grahame and I liked him and the two companions- though I know a bit about dyspraxia and itís a complex condition that involves a degree of social dysfunction, especially if bad enough to result in not being able to ride a bike. The courageous Nan was a stereotype, though well acted...her demise pretty signalled by the fact that she was not going to be a companion and they seemed to get over her death pretty quickly. I also had no problem in accepting Jodie as the Doctor...She performed well and was convincing..though Iíd have liked a bit more of an edge to her. Special effects 9 story 5 dialogue 6 acting 9.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Spent Thanksgiving weekend with my in-laws who are ....not sci-fi fans at all...

I PVRed it. Will be watching on Friday with DD1 and her newly-baptized Dr Who virgin boyfriend, DD2 and DS.

If only I could get them to watch B7..
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

One Spare Part
[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2661&pid=134391#post_134391][b]Vanessa

If only I could get them to watch B7..

Tie them to the sofa. Sellotape their eyes open! They will be begging you to watch it after that...Angry

daro2096
Haven't seen it and I have no intention of watching it. Don't have a valid TV license. I haven't seen new Who since the Tennant era.

One Spare Part
daro2096 wrote:

Haven't seen it and I have no intention of watching it. Don't have a valid TV license. I haven't seen new Who since the Tennant era.

You haven't missed much to be honest.

BradPaula
I didn't like the idea of making the Doctor a female in the first place but I did watch the premiere and thought, OK- she's like the Doctor but I could not get the idea of her feeling a lot like David Tennant throughout it all. I thought the companions seemed to be too eager to help this confused lady out too. It just seemed like the show runners thought, we've all seen a regeneration before and we'll do it exactly the same way this time. Too pat, too well known- no suspense or danger in it at all. The baddie monster was also pretty much nondescript and offered no danger either. Brad mentioned it seemed to be a rerun of the Matt Smith regeneration story and I agree.

I did like the idea that the new Doctor seemed to have an afinity for spoons, ala Mr. Capaldi, and that since she was in Sheffield, that she use Sheffield steel to construct the sonic screwdriver but other than that, I was not impressed or very happy about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I want Doctor Who to survive but making it into a rainbow flag- meaning casting a woman plus a number of different cultured companions seemed a bit obvious in the current game of political correctness. Being honest, I hope that Jodie does what Chris Eccleston did and only did the show for a year. Sorry- the Doctor is a man and no amount of glib showmanship is going to change that idea for me. I felt they failed miserably making the Master an insane woman and now this. I'll continue to watch but I can't say anything more until then. Let down. Hugely.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

RichardMk2
I enjoyed tonight's episode. But I better not say too much as I was lucky enough to get home in time to watch it live.

JustBrad
Am I the only one having trouble hearing the actors (who don't exactly project) over the constant drone of background sound effects?

steveothen
i think the new series of Dr who is pretty crap, & Jodie is a terrible Dr.
& i'm a life-long fan, started watching with Pertwee.

One Spare Part
JustBrad wrote:

Am I the only one having trouble hearing the actors (who don't exactly project) over the constant drone of background sound effects?

It is a bbc thing that has been ongoing on a number of productions. They can't balance the sound of the work with making it clearly audible.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
16,599,681 unique visits since 8th January 2014