Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Discussion Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
This is the thread to chat about all things Doctor Who! Any story from past or present series that's already been broadcast in the UK, cast members, story arcs, speculations and so on. All reviews, viewing blogs and discussions about the show are welcome! However, please do not discuss anything to do with upcoming series, in order to keep this thread 'spolier free' for those who want a completely safe place to browse without learning anything about episodes we haven't seen yet.

Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
The Christmas Special, Renumbering, and Regenerations.....

Okay, if I understand what was being said in the Christmas Special (big 'if'), Hurt is 9, Eccleston is 10, Tennant is 11 AND 12, and Smith is 13. (At least according to SM for that one episode).

Therefore Smith is out of regenerations. He will die of old age. He can not regenerate until the Time Lords aid him through the Crack In Amy's Wall.

If I've got that totally wrong, you can stop reading now.

Otherwise... If Smith (13?) could NOT regenerate without aid from Gallifrey, how then did he begin a regeneration cycle at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut, only to be shot a second time and killed in the midst of said cycle? (According to River Song)

Wibley Wobley? Moffat is so smart I can't keep up? Moffat is making at least SOME of it up as he goes along? Other?

Bewildered B.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Doctor wasn't there; that was the Teselecta in the form of the Doctor, but how that imitated the effects of a regen is a mystery.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Moonbase

Not a complete story, with cgi animation to accompany the soundtrack of episodes 1 and 3, but an enjoyable and simple little story that's well worth collecting if you like the Troughton era or the Cybermen. The plot invovles an attempt by the Cybermen to take control of a weather control station on the Moon, and its a base under seige story in its purest form: the occupants of the Moonbase defend themselves against attackers attempting to gain entry, by force when stealth fails. In addition to the sensible and logical plot, the visual aspects here are very good too; the way that a model of the base as viewed from above matches the interior as created in the studio is effective, and so is the recreation of the lunar surface that the cast drift over in their kirby harnesses. All the performances are competent, although its not a script that is high on threat or emotion and doesn't give the cast too much to work with. The way that the Cybermen are defeated is well thought out and develops from what has gone before rather than being a Deus Ex Machina, and this a nice example of early Doctor Who that doesn't over reach itself but is very effective in the kind of story that it sets out to be.

Klenotka
Well, I think Peter is Twelve. It was in official magazine, BBC website, they even said "the clock is striking twelve". He ran out of the regenerations but for the Doctor, as a person, it still counts as it did before. Hurt doesn´t count as the Doctor, just a regeneration Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
Agreed. For me, Matt Smith is Doctor #11 and Peter Capaldi is Doctor #12.

If I follow the query correctly, Brad was raising this point from The Impossible Astronaut as a potential continuity error:

# In The Time of the Doctor, this Doctor is out of regenerations (and has been since The End of Time episode 2)
# In The Impossible Astronaut, the same Doctor seems to begin to regenerate but is killed mid-regeneration

My solution is that the Doctor at the lake who is attacked by River Song is not the Doctor but an android duplicate.

This in turn raises the new question: how did the Teselecta mimic the visual effect of regeneration?

Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 18 January 2014 22:15:02

President Solvite
Maybe the android was made of "mimetic poly-alloy"

Similar to the T1000 in the film Terminator 2 judgement day..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Klenotka
I decided not to look much into the plot of Moffat´s era. I think every finale rewrote the previous one...

And I finally started the rewatch...two episodes with Jon Pertwee Smile I really can see Peter as a mix of Pertwee/T.Baker Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
Interesting comment from Steven Moffat in the most recent issue of Doctor Who magazine. He considers the Peter Cushing films to be real in the televised Doctor Who canon, as fictional productions based on leaked memoirs written by Ian and Barbara. There was going to be a visual reference in The Day of the Doctor, with copies of the film posters labelled on the notice board in the Black Archive, but the the production team found that the rights holder wanted too much money for use of the images. So, the movies are considered canon but as fiction within the fiction.

Tyce
I'm travelling to Sydney tomorrow to see the 50th Anniversary Dr Who Exhibition. Can't wait!

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Mind Robber

I'm always slightly biased towards this story as it was the second Doctor Who serial I watched at an age that I was actually taking in what was on the screen and remembering shows that I wanted to see again. Or in other words, after The Time Meddler, this was the story that made me an obsessive Doctor Who fan. It contains one of the show's more creative ideas, with an alternate dimension where established and original fiction become reality, and it works very well here. There are some nice lines where our fictional heroes fear the danger of becoming fictional themselves! The fiction within a fiction Russian Doll style of storytelling has a lot of potential and some of it is explored well here in the limited time available. Due to the limited nature of the setting, within a world with only one other 'real' person to interact with, the story is very character driven for our regulars. The supporting cast includes an excellent performance from Bernard Horsfall as Gulliver, for which he would probably win an award in Doctor Who Magazine if it were in the modern era, and a suitably sinister performance by Emrys Jones as the villain of the piece. Good use is made of generic tunnel sets without the actors having to run down any of them. Some of the costumes are very memorable too, with the Clockwork Robots and their turning keys (on one of them anyway) being especially iconic! When a 10yr old SD watched this back in 1992, I wasn't exactly scared of the robots but was genuinely anxious about the threat they posed to the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe in any scenes they appeared in. The story is well directed by David Maloney, and he did well to manage the constantly changing scenery without the narrative coming across as disjointed. There is a real sense of tension and adventure about this story, as well as the creativity, visual variety and excellent performances.

Angry Angel
I really need to watch that again. I think I must have seen it for the first time in 1992 too (part of a season showing a story from each of the Doctors?), probably the first time I'd seen a Troughton story (apart from Two Doctors), and I really enjoyed it.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
Angry Angel wrote:

I must have seen it for the first time in 1992 too (part of a season showing a story from each of the Doctors)

That particular season of repeats (so my first story for each Doctor! ) ran like this:

The Time Meddler
The Mind Robber
The Sea Devils*
The Daemons*
Genesis of the Daleks
Caves of Androzani
Revelation of the Daleks
Battlefield

*yes, they really did show the two Pertwee stories the wrong way around! Confused me for years.

timdalton007
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Interesting comment from Steven Moffat in the most recent issue of Doctor Who magazine. He considers the Peter Cushing films to be real in the televised Doctor Who canon, as fictional productions based on leaked memoirs written by Ian and Barbara. There was going to be a visual reference in The Day of the Doctor, with copies of the film posters labelled on the notice board in the Black Archive, but the the production team found that the rights holder wanted too much money for use of the images. So, the movies are considered canon but as fiction within the fiction.

Well the idea's not a new one. One of the BBC PDA's, Salvation with the first Doctor, mentioned a movie being made years later about it with Cushing as the Doctor. John Peel also suggested it in the unofficial charity book I Am The Doctor with the movies being based on books written by Barbara.

timdalton007

Spaceship Dispatcher
True that its an obvious idea, but my point was that this time its the man who currently holds authority over the series canon that has put the idea in writing in the official magazine. The argument genrally favoured in the past regarding canon is that, if there is no on-screen evidence to support the inclusion of an idea within the canon, you turn to the intentions of the writer where they are in writing somewhere. Other people have put it forward, but this was said by the writer of the episode itself. That for me, in this instance at least, makes the movies canon.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 27 January 2014 16:05:44

Spaceship Dispatcher
Hi Klenotka, would you be able to delete and repost in the Doctor Who News Thread please? This thread is intended to be free of all spoilers about future episodes. Many thanks, SD

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

...please do not discuss anything to do with upcoming series, in order to keep this thread 'spolier free' for those who want a completely safe place to browse without learning anything about episodes we haven't seen yet.

Klenotka
I just did...so many DW threads....Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
Personal project for February and March:

To watch all of Katy Manning's episodes of Doctor Who from Terror of the Autons to Death of the Doctor

If anyone else wants to watch one or two of them next month too, it would be great to swap notes Grin

Gauda Cheese
On Friday in good ol Melbourne my home town I will get to meet my favourite Doctor again, Peter Davison!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Will today be starting my rewatch of every story featuring Katy Manning as Jo Grant:

Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Claws of Axos
Colony in Space
The Daemons
Day of the Daleks
The Curse of Peladon
The Sea Devils
The Mutants
The Time Warrior
The Three Doctors
Carnival of Monsters
Frontier in Space
Planet of the Daleks
The Green Death
Death of the Doctor

Hoping to post comments on the stories soon after watching each one... Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,098,685 unique visits since 8th January 2014