Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,079
· Newest Rebel: M1795537 OC Virn

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [34 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [21 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [10 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [21 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [23 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [11 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 141
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Warlord set in Season One
MrEModels
On this weeks Blakes 7 In Character Podcast, Ian raised an interesting question - can you imagine the Warlord story, but made during Season One, with Blake uniting the planets and not Avon, with Season One's costume and set design, and Season One standard guest actors.
I think it'd have been terrific. What say you?

http://neozaz.com...ter-zukan/

https://www.facebook.com/MrEModels/
rojkerr1
interesting

trevor travis
MrEModels wrote:

On this weeks Blakes 7 In Character Podcast, Ian raised an interesting question - can you imagine the Warlord story, but made during Season One, with Blake uniting the planets and not Avon, with Season One's costume and set design, and Season One standard guest actors.
I think it'd have been terrific. What say you?

http://neozaz.com...ter-zukan/

IMO it's hard to improve on the episode that we see, which is in a sequence of cracking episodes which build on each other.

It's also made clear that Avon is acting out of desperation, due to the threat of Pylene-50 being pumped into the atmosphere of Xenon at the some point. It's a good plan, except he has to rely on Zukan's co-operation. I think Avon realised that was a risk all along, but one he calculated he had to take.

I can't see Blake ever coming up with such a co-ordinated plan - it's just not Blake. He prefers to blow things up. The only time we see Blake (of his own free will) take a more subtle approach to fighting the Federation is Bounty.

Costume design is generally better in Season D than Season A (costume design is best in Season B, under June Hudson). And Roy Boyd is a cracking guest actor as the disturbed Zukan.

briggsy1
I like the way Roy Boyd gets more OTT as the episode goes on, whilst Mr.D goes from shouty at the start to giving quite an understated performance in the second half.

trevor travis
briggsy1 wrote:

I like the way Roy Boyd gets more OTT as the episode goes on, whilst Mr.D goes from shouty at the start to giving quite an understated performance in the second half.

Yes, Avon becomes much calmer once he's got a problem to solve.

He'd perhaps be less calm, if his own life was at stake. Exhibit A: Orbit.

Mrs_Underhill
trevor travis wrote:
IMO it's hard to improve on the episode that we see, which is in a sequence of cracking episodes which build on each other.

It's also made clear that Avon is acting out of desperation, due to the threat of Pylene-50 being pumped into the atmosphere of Xenon at the some point. It's a good plan, except he has to rely on Zukan's co-operation. I think Avon realised that was a risk all along, but one he calculated he had to take.

Yes, I think desperation just nails it as the main theme not just of "Warlord" but of the entire Season D.

"Warlord" in S1 would be a very different story as S1 was about Robin Hood in space, about giving hope to the oppressed.
Season A's "Warlord" is "Bounty" (ironically already mentioned). Here we too have an eager, brave daughter and a dithering father who doesn't commit himself until his daughter is threatened with death. But because S1 is about hope Sarkoff makes the right choice, and that's it. It's a much simpler story than "Warlord", it just can't be as bleak and tragic.

Another great thing in "Warlord" is the interplay between Avon and Soolin with Soolin standing up to Avon and being his equal. The only person who could play Blake like Soolin played Avon was, of course, Avon himself.
But Avon in Season A isn't quite there yet, he's not Blake's equal, he's just criticizing him and snapping at his ankles while saving him, to his own chagrin. Only in "Orac" Avon will try on the leadership role, but the true Blake/Avon powerplay will be in Season B.

"Warlord" story would fit better in S2 than in S1, but again, S2 is not about desperation, it's about hubris. Blake's desperate to destroy Central Control, but it's not a true S4 desperation of a cornered animal, it's an arrogance of taking revenge.

And it's hubris which pushes Blake into trying risky alliances like with Terra Nostra. Still, one can imagine Avon playing Soolin's part of seemingly selling Blake out while protecting him. And of course, S2 Avon was influencing Blake like an equal.
But as is, Season B's "Warlord" is "Hostage" (shudder). Another eager daughter betrayed by her father while Blake's trying a risky alliance with Travis and Avon scheming to protect Blake - but that doesn't work out well. But as S2 is not as bleak and tragic Ushton makes the right choice in the end, again.

"Hostage" could have been a much better story. But as is, "Warlord" is far superior to both "Bounty" and "Hostage".

trevor travis wrote:

briggsy1 wrote:

Yes, Avon becomes much calmer once he's got a problem to solve.

He'd perhaps be less calm, if his own life was at stake. Exhibit A: Orbit.

Exhibit B: Avon calmly allowing Soolin to sacrifice him so that she could save herself. He didn't know if she'd save him too and that behaviour of his could be viewed as a reaction to "Orbit".
Yet another example of why Warlord is perfect as is because it fits into surrounding episodes, as you've mentioned, TT.
Edited by Mrs_Underhill on 13 January 2019 20:35:06

Travisina
Excellent analysis, Mrs Underhill!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

It is, and proves why Warlord could only be a late Season D episode. It's where it belongs.

Gold / Orbit / Warlord / Blake are four different stories, but four that fit so well together.

Mrs_Underhill
trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

It is, and proves why Warlord could only be a late Season D episode. It's where it belongs.

Gold / Orbit / Warlord / Blake are four different stories, but four that fit so well together.

Thank you, and yes - the last four make a kind of a coda to the whole story, I realized it when finally got to them on this rewatch.

Gold and Orbit show the heroes hitting an absolute rock bottom, and Warlord and Blake it's them realizing it and trying to climb back into the light, and failing tragically. It's almost like one story, like a big TV movie.

Interesting that the first four episodes almost feel like that too - I read about compilation tape making them into a one story and it works, as it's a prelude setting everything up.

Oh, and another interesting dynamic in Warlord which wouldn't have worked with Blake was Avon having to reluctantly be a father figure to Tarrant - another role he was uncomfortable with but had to play.

Blake would never play a father - he wasn't that close and personal with anyone, he was a leader fully dedicated to his cause. Jenna and Avon tried to make it personal with him in their own ways - but mostly didn't succeed. While for Avon everything ended up being personal. Him trying to make Tarrant to keep it in his pants, while regretting that he had no such trouble himself, was a unique thing to behold. Wink

briggsy1
I think Warlord is possibly the most OTT of all 52 episodes from an acting, hairstyle and costume point of view. However, I still enjoy watching it because it falls into the so bad it's good category for me unlike say Animals or Voice from the Past which are just bad.

dissentliveson
Season 2 seems more likely. Voice From The Past was sort of that idea, but with corrupt Federation officials who were fed up with Servalan not independent planets.

By season 2, Blake and the Liberator has a reputation and I guess maybe I could see him getting say like Avalon, the Albions he saved from getting nuked, indecisive Aurons fearing losing neutrality, Krantor, the Terra Nostra, etc. aboard the Liberator and then Krantor or the Terra Nostra play the role of Zukan's high profile traitor.

MrEModels
Fascinating responses folks! Many thanks for the interesting reading Smile Got another question for you tomorrow Grin

https://www.facebook.com/MrEModels/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 3.51 seconds
19,152,155 unique visits since 8th January 2014