Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,136
· Newest Rebel: pysop45

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [36 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 156
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A statement from Big Finish.
JustBrad
For those who haven't seen this, a statement from Big Finish regarding the future of Blake's 7 in light of recent tragic events.

A short statement from Big Finish producer John Ainsworth about the company's future plans for Blake's 7

We were all shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Paul Darrow on Monday 3 June. As Avon, Paul was an integral part of Blake's 7, so his passing will, of course, have an impact on our plans for the series on audio.

We can confirm that Paul had recorded all of Avon's dialogue for the four episodes that will make up the Restoration Part 2 box set. However, the release of Restoration Part 2 will now be put back to November. This will allow us time to address Avon's absence in the concluding Restoration Part 3 box set which will now be released in February 2020.

We will continue to release new Blake's 7 productions beyond the Restoration trilogy, and will announce details in due course. There are no plans to recast Avon with a new actor.

A link to this statement:
https://www.bigfi...Vb5T90NpG8
There was a young man
From Cork who got Limericks
And Haikus confused.

BradPaula
This situation had worried me and I do hope that some sort of resolution can be worked out to the ongoing series Restoration. With so many of the cast now gone, I still hope that Big Finish will attempt what they call 'two hander' stories with two of the remaining characters, or solo stories, much like some of the stories were in the Liberator Chronicles range. I can only hope and wish now...
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
I suppose a mixture of live action and narration if they’re not going to recast Paul and Jackie.

A spin off with Tarrant and Grant could work. Cally and Grant. Dayna and Hob. Avalon as the leader in some adventure. Throwing out ideas here for Big Finish!

But it’s so sad that we’ve already heard the last performance of Jackie as Servalan and that November will bring us the last performance of Paul as Avon. The very last.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
I've got a really rubbish idea. If they added a bit of hand-waving plot devicium and had Avon & Vila mindswap somehow (as almost happens with Avon & Cally in Ultraworld), then Michael Keating could play Avon (who takes charge of Vila's body and so sounds like Vila).

Vila would then have to be out of action, but depending on the scripts, that may be an easier task to write around.

Joe Dredd
I would love Big Finish to do a few Vila-focused adventures. I've always had the idea that you could do a story narrated by Vila as a bit of a tall tale. Vila explains what happens for a bit then we flash back to the actual event, where we the audience hear the real situation. Then back to Vila telling the story, etc.

Soundscape: Liberator
Vila: "So, quick as a flash, I started firing at the approaching troopers."

Cross-fade to

Soundscape: Federation base.
FX: Liberator gunshots.
Tarrant/Jenna/Cally: "For goodness sake, Vila. Stop hiding behind that drive block and help me shoot them!"

etc.

Anniew
The Vila idea. Brilliant Joe. If only they’d though of that when Paul was alive and we could have heard Avon’s take but I’d still love a story like that with the others. Write it and send it to them.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
Thanks Annie. I wish I could submit a story or script to them. I had some great lines I was saving for Avon and a few story ideas (including the one above). BF had an open submission thing years back, but it seems everyone who got a gig from it were people who had already been published somewhere else already. (Sour grapes, Joe!) A certain Mr DT shared his story submission with me. I thought it was excellent and would've made a great tale too.

At least we can still have Avon in print, if there are any more B7 novels on the cards.

Wasn't Paul working with BF on a non-B7 series he'd proposed? I wonder if that will go anywhere now.

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

Thanks Annie. I wish I could submit a story or script to them. I had some great lines I was saving for Avon and a few story ideas (including the one above). BF had an open submission thing years back, but it seems everyone who got a gig from it were people who had already been published somewhere else already. (Sour grapes, Joe!) A certain Mr DT shared his story submission with me. I thought it was excellent and would've made a great tale too.

At least we can still have Avon in print, if there are any more B7 novels on the cards.

Wasn't Paul working with BF on a non-B7 series he'd proposed? I wonder if that will go anywhere now.

Paul was working with BF on a non B7 series but I have heard nothing of it since it was announced a few years ago. We ae going to the Big Finish do in Derby soon. We could ask around and see if we can find out anything.

daro2096
I am not against another member of the cast impersonating Avon for one box set just to end out the full cast audio range. I know that is probably not a popular point of view for many members on this forum but what are they going to do? Have dialogue like this: Where's Avon? He has gone to his cabin to get some sleep. Or Where's Avon? He is in the surgical unit. He was repairing some Liberator equipment and he burned his hand. Or Where's Avon? He has gone off on some vendetta getting some revenge. Do you really want that people?

One Spare Part
daro2096 wrote:

I am not against another member of the cast impersonating Avon for one box set just to end out the full cast audio range. I know that is probably not a popular point of view for many members on this forum but what are they going to do? Have dialogue like this: Where's Avon? He has gone to his cabin to get some sleep. Or Where's Avon? He is in the surgical unit. He was repairing some Liberator equipment and he burned his hand. Or Where's Avon? He has gone off on some vendetta getting some revenge. Do you really want that people?

Completely agree. Nothing worse than the obvious explanations of an absent character.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

BradPaula
Remembering Miahcel's razor sharp impersonation of Avon at Return to Gauda Prime One in 2011, when he filled in when Paul could not attend the con, he impressed all of us by his spot on portrayl of Avon, when he and Gareth reprised the scene from Terminal where Avon finds Blake in the medical chamber. I could live with that sort of thing. But I understand what you both mean- it can get very tiresome to have to make up some sort of excuse for him not being there. It's happened with Blake and Gan in a more recent Big Finish and it did stand out and was a big jarring to hear. I only hope some happy medium can be worked out so we can continue to have a Blake's 7 range from Big Finish.

daro2096
Speaking of Gan. The actor who played Gan in When Vila met Gan did a pretty good job.

Travisina
daro2096 wrote:

Speaking of Gan. The actor who played Gan in When Vila met Gan did a pretty good job.

That was Owen Aaronovitch - brother of Ben Aaronovitch, the writer. And yes, he made a pretty good Gan in that prequel and the Rebellion Reborn boxset.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

MLPasterisk
daro2096 wrote:

Generally I am against recasting. Dayna was OK but I wouldn't want them to start recasting Avon, Blake or Servalan.

One exception would be Restoration part 3.
I agree that if the scripts are written for Avon it will be very distracting to have them rewritten so Avon is somehow "off stage". I'm afraid the "search for Dayna" storyline didn't convince me at all.

Big Finish use soundalikes and impersonators for their Doctor Who ranges for Jon Pertwee, Nick Courtney, Christopher Eccleston, Matt Smith etc, so I wouldn't object to someone else doing Avon's lines for that one story just to complete the series. I would see it as akin to the theatre where in some circumstances the understudy has to go on instead of the star.

One idea that's been floated is that the delay to Restoration part 2 is so that they can shift one of Avon's stories to the final release, so that Paul Darrow appears in all three releases.
It's also possible that they might "borrow" some lines that Paul Darrow has recorded for previous releases like they did with Trevor Baxter in Jago and Litefoot Forever.

Big Finish have said they want to continue the range, so I hope it will be a return to narrated "Liberator Chronicles" with the surviving cast members.

Some people have suggested that they want to see a "next generation" style series perhaps with Michael Keating but that wouldn't really appeal to me.

daro2096
We all know Blake's 7's days are numbered at Big Finish anyway at least with the original cast. If they want to get the audio reboot cast back together and continue those adventures I would be all for it. What do you think people?

daro2096
MLPasterisk wrote:

daro2096 wrote:

Generally I am against recasting. Dayna was OK but I wouldn't want them to start recasting Avon, Blake or Servalan.

One exception would be Restoration part 3.
I agree that if the scripts are written for Avon it will be very distracting to have them rewritten so Avon is somehow "off stage". I'm afraid the "search for Dayna" storyline didn't convince me at all.

Big Finish use soundalikes and impersonators for their Doctor Who ranges for Jon Pertwee, Nick Courtney, Christopher Eccleston, Matt Smith etc, so I wouldn't object to someone else doing Avon's lines for that one story just to complete the series. I would see it as akin to the theatre where in some circumstances the understudy has to go on instead of the star.

One idea that's been floated is that the delay to Restoration part 2 is so that they can shift one of Avon's stories to the final release, so that Paul Darrow appears in all three releases.
It's also possible that they might "borrow" some lines that Paul Darrow has recorded for previous releases like they did with Trevor Baxter in Jago and Litefoot Forever.

Big Finish have said they want to continue the range, so I hope it will be a return to narrated "Liberator Chronicles" with the surviving cast members.

Some people have suggested that they want to see a "next generation" style series perhaps with Michael Keating but that wouldn't really appeal to me.

Well if previous box sets are any guide Avon was only in 2 out of the 4 stories anyways. Restoration part 1 was recorded a year ago. I would have assumed that part 3 would have been recorded already a few months back unless Paul was too ill. Does anyone know what Paul died from?

MLPasterisk
daro2096 wrote:

We all know Blake's 7's days are numbered at Big Finish anyway at least with the original cast. If they want to get the audio reboot cast back together and continue those adventures I would be all for it. What do you think people?

I didn't like the reboot series but in any event B7 Productions who made it don't seem to have the rights to the series any more.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.64 seconds
21,979,508 unique visits since 8th January 2014