Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 26

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,227
· Newest Rebel: Avon2925

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [26 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 182
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Clive James has Passed Away
dragonq
I know he’s been dying for about the past 10 years, but I was very sad this morning to see on the news that Clive James has finally passed away. I have a whole shelf full of his books, and he was one of the great prose stylists, certainly the greatest essayist of his generation.

Clive was famous for his scathing reviews of Blakes 7, but in all honesty I found them so funny, I could not wish them unwritten. He returned to the subject so often, that I suspect he actually had a sneaking affection for the program, and he certainly had an eye for Jacqueline Pearce. A representative piece, “Face Your Dog” (reprinted in Clive James on Television) describes Servalan as sharing her “commanding personality” with dog trainer Barbara Woodhouse. He wrote in fireworks, with great wit, and greater erudition. Clive was one-of the first critics to really write well and seriously about television, so I forgive him for calling Blakes 7 “flaring nonsense from beyond the galaxy”.

After all, we’re none of us perfect.

rojkerr1
very sad, talented guy

BradPaula
Very sorry to hear this. RIP
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Endless Midnight
Clive James did later do a TV series in the 1990s where he looked back on his years as a television critic and featured examples of the programmes he wrote about, with guests from some of the programmes also appearing.

This is from an edition of it that was devoted to sci-fi, with clips and guests from Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, including Sally Knyvette and Jacqueline Pearce, both of whom James chats with. The tone is generally good-humoured and amiable, so don't be put off by the review he wrote in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvzHRSJnrns

Joe Dredd
It's been ages since I read his B7 review, but from memory it was pretty clear the episode he watched was "The Harvest of Kairos". Certainly not an episode that would be my first choice (or even my tenth choice) to show someone the strengths and appeal of B7.

sweevo
RIP, buddy. Sad

briggsy1
I think Clive had a grudging respect for the show.

Obsidian
briggsy1 wrote:

I think Clive had a grudging respect for the show.

Yes, I think he did. He had great wit and erudition and it was really a bit of a coup for B7 to attract that notoriety.

No doubt in Australia we'll see some lengthier pieces about his life in the next week or so than the TV news obits. Will have to see if that comes up at all. It was amazing to see Germaine Greer crying. They were part of a generation that those of us just a bit behind looked to to guide the way in making it in the world and getting beyond the Australian "cultural cringe". Clive will be much missed.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
briggsy1
Clive James end of the year shows were always the best way to see in the New Year. Brilliant!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.40 seconds
27,474,603 unique visits since 8th January 2014