Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,167
· Newest Rebel: simon63

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
13% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
8% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [18 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 164
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Limiters - you decide
Cygnus Bazza
So Gan's limiter dampens down his more psychotic impulses. If you could fit a limiter to one of the other members of the team, who would it be and what behaviour/characteristic would it be designed to suppress?

JustBrad
All of them.

Tarrant for his snarkiness.
Blake for his manipulative streak.
Avon for... well... being Avon.
Vila for his laziness (hey, we need him to be a thief).
Jenna for her passivity to Blake.
Cally for being taken over by aliens.
Dayna for NOT shooting Servalan, even when Avon tells her not to.
Soolin for not wearing better clothes.

And... I have this dark fantasy. I know there is no evidence to support it, and what little evidence there is contradicts it. But deep down a part of me has always imagined that Gan's behavior in Breakdown is not caused by a limiter malfunction, but by the limiter simply ceasing to function at all.

Complete fantasy as I said... But something about Gan's back story has always bothered me. Gan killed a security guard and lived to be brought to trial and exiled? Doesn't sound like the Federation we know, does it?
There was a young man
From Cork who got Limericks
And Haikus confused.

GanMiniMe
Love all of the above JustBrad. And itís definitely an interesting point about Gan that Iíve never really considered before.

I have put a lot of care into the wording of this next bit: Iíd put a limiter on Tarrant to stop him thinking with the contents of his trousers whenever thereís an attractive woman around.

rojroj
Program guide says Gan comes from the planet Zephron (though I think it's never mentioned in the series). It is possible that the Federation was still in the process of consolidating power on Zephron and they wanted to get popular support. So perhaps they wanted to demonstrate that their rule on Zephron was benevolent by sparing Gan's life.

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
JustBrad
rojroj wrote:

Program guide says Gan comes from the planet Zephron (though I think it's never mentioned in the series). It is possible that the Federation was still in the process of consolidating power on Zephron and they wanted to get popular support. So perhaps they wanted to demonstrate that their rule on Zephron was benevolent by sparing Gan's life.

Is that the Atwood guide?

If so, it also claims that Soolin comes from other than GP.
There was a young man
From Cork who got Limericks
And Haikus confused.

rojroj
JustBrad wrote:

rojroj wrote:

Yes, it's the Atwood guide. It also says that Blake is an engineer -- again, never mentioned in the series, but fanfic writers often refer to it as canon. The same with Gan and Zephron.

Travisina
rojroj wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

rojroj wrote:

Yes, it's the Atwood guide. It also says that Blake is an engineer -- again, never mentioned in the series, but fanfic writers often refer to it as canon. The same with Gan and Zephron.

The Guide is based on early versions of the scripts / story outlines / character biogs. The novelisations are also based on earlier versions of the scripts, and there are quite a few differences. Is 'canon' only what's seen on screen?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

rojroj
Travisina wrote:
The Guide is based on early versions of the scripts / story outlines / character biogs. The novelisations are also based on earlier versions of the scripts, and there are quite a few differences. Is 'canon' only what's seen on screen?

Well, there's also 'fanon', things about characters and B7 universe that most fans recognize as true. My idea is that Gan being from Zephron might explain why his sentence wasn't so harsh and the Federation gave him a limiter instead of executing him. Perhaps their rule was only half established on that world.

Obsidian
JustBrad wrote:

All of them.

Tarrant for his snarkiness.
Blake for his manipulative streak.
Avon for... well... being Avon.
Vila for his laziness (hey, we need him to be a thief).
Jenna for her passivity to Blake.
Cally for being taken over by aliens.
Dayna for NOT shooting Servalan, even when Avon tells her not to.
Soolin for not wearing better clothes.

And... I have this dark fantasy. I know there is no evidence to support it, and what little evidence there is contradicts it. But deep down a part of me has always imagined that Gan's behavior in Breakdown is not caused by a limiter malfunction, but by the limiter simply ceasing to function at all.

Complete fantasy as I said... But something about Gan's back story has always bothered me. Gan killed a security guard and lived to be brought to trial and exiled? Doesn't sound like the Federation we know, does it?

Good point JustBrad. Clearly responses were varied. Maybe some of them just liked getting their violent jollies more.

As for the limiters on our heroes, I think you've picked it for a lot of them. I mean, Soolin, light grey???? But I do understand they had largely dull clothes to go with the horribleness of everything by that point. But I'm totally with GanMiniMe about Tarrant...
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
Obsidian
Travisina wrote:

rojroj wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

rojroj wrote:

Would like to get a look at some of these earlier scripts...
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
Cygnus Bazza
I'd strongly advise against putting any limiters whatsoever on Avon, or we might not have a series!!!

A general limiter to generally limit Tarrant's own high opinion of himself might be handy.

I'd also suggest a limiter for Jenna to prevent her odd irritatingly 'girly' moments. (Like her 'catwalk' moment - can't remember which episode.)

Travisina
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

I'd strongly advise against putting any limiters whatsoever on Avon, or we might not have a series!!!

A general limiter to generally limit Tarrant's own high opinion of himself might be handy.

I'd also suggest a limiter for Jenna to prevent her odd irritatingly 'girly' moments. (Like her 'catwalk' moment - can't remember which episode.)

Cygnus Alpha - we just watched it last Tuesday! Avon's reaction is appropriately scathing.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

rojkerr1
JustBrad and Ganminime, the gan limiter question is explored in the original cast Mark of kane audioplay, now on Youtube, Gareth thought it was a great idea I believe and david Jackson absolutely loved it! He was a real scifi fan, loved the idea that the Gan we see in Breakdown is the real person, without constraint...! Cat Strangler....

rojkerr1
My story Planet of the Free is on FB, about a planet entirely populated by 'limited' people

Joe Dredd
Have you got a link, rojkerr1?

Cygnus Bazza
Travisina wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Cygnus Alpha - we just watched it last Tuesday! Avon's reaction is appropriately scathing.

As ever, Avon is right on the money!

trevor travis
IMO the whole crew have human origins - even Cally makes reference at times to not being completely alien, and even describes herself as human. It suggests the Auron have human origins - after all, it would be a massive coincidence for humans and Aurons to look the same, if they don't originate from the same place.

The exact birthplace of some of the crew may vary, but Gan was deported from Earth to Cygnus Alpha, so he was very likely to be living in the dome at the time of the crime which saw him deported.

There's a possibility that Blake's birthplace was Exbar - he seems to have grown up there.
Edited by trevor travis on 26 January 2020 11:16:22

rojroj
trevor travis wrote:

There's a possibility that Blake's birthplace was Exbar - he seems to have grown up there.

Exbar was a penal colony. From script:

BLAKE: "I visited it years ago. Spent some time there. It was a penal colony then. Only grade four offenders, allowed visitors, special privileges, that sort of thing."

trevor travis
rojroj wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Exbar was a penal colony. From script:

BLAKE: "I visited it years ago. Spent some time there. It was a penal colony then. Only grade four offenders, allowed visitors, special privileges, that sort of thing."

Is Blake lying, though? He seems very familiar with Ushton and Inga. It seems to come from more than a simple "visit", unless of course that visit lasted for a few years.

Blake does deceive the crew on a regular basis - it started last week in "Cygnus Alpha." Is he trying to downplay his relationship with his Kissing Cousin Wink

rojroj
Is there any line in the series that you will *not* use to demonize Blake and accuse him of something?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.74 seconds
24,417,199 unique visits since 8th January 2014