Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,218
· Newest Rebel: Jason

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
42nd Anniversary Rewatch - B10 Voice From The Past
trevor travis
The episode: Barney Ten – Voice From The Past (Carry On Being Stupid)
The date: Tuesday, June 9th, 2020
The time: 7.45pm UK time

In which Del-10 sounds too good to be true and sure enough the crew never get there; Travis wants his Mummy; Ven Glynd has had a head transplant; Blake is taken over and therefore goes along with a nutty scheme to take the Federation to court (yes, that’s really going to work, isn’t it?); and the actress playing Governor Le Grand finds a different way of pronouncing Servalan each time she says it. B7 is the best show ever, but even it can’t avoid the odd naff episode. At least, we get to RENOUNCE lots of stuff during the rewatch, while there's the option of wrapping yourself in loo paper for anyone who's interested!

Episode in a word: Alliance.
Characters to cheer: Avon, because he wears that flowing, black shirt (especially included for Littlesue). Oh, and Servie completely steals the show on the screen at the end.
Characters to boo: Where to start? OK, let’s start with Vila. I prefer Vila to be portrayed with intelligence, but playing the idiot, to avoid being given the dirty jobs. Like in “Stardrive”, when he pretends to be drunk, so that he doesn’t have to work on the hull with only Slave’s forcefield protecting him from space. He’s had the odd stupid moment in both “Hostage” and “Countdown”, but here he’s very thick indeed, as he’s duped – more than once – by the controlled Blake. Then there’s Travis. In “Hostage”, his main motivation was to get hold of the Liberator. Here, he has control of the Liberator… and then teleports off it. And that’s before we get into all the Mummy stuff! As for, Governor Le Grand, her plan is batty and the portrayal by Barbara Knorr is… er... unusual, to be kind.
Recognisable Face: One of the main cast for a change. As most people know, Micheal Keating (Vila) was in “EastEnders” as a semi-regular character as the vicar. But he was also in a “Doctor Who” story. It was called “The Sun Makers” and was transmitted in December 1977, just a month before B7 began transmission. Furthermore, he played a rebel, while the story took place in a huge city where suppressants were pumped into the atmosphere. There, the comparison ends, because the rebellion is successful and there’s a happy ending.
Best exchange: CALLY: “What do we do?” AVON: “Locate and destroy it.” ORAC: “And restore Blake to his senses.” AVON: “The two don't necessarily follow.”

Blake's 7 will return in… Carry On Space Gambling

One Spare Part
TT, Are you being a bit harsh on poor old Vila here? It's not him being thick that is the problem but his inability NOT to trust Blake?...oh hang on, it's the same thing isn't it? Carry on Vila bashing! PfftAngry
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

trevor travis
One Spare Part wrote:

TT, Are you being a bit harsh on poor old Vila here? It's not him being thick that is the problem but his inability NOT to trust Blake?...oh hang on, it's the same thing isn't it? Carry on Vila bashing! PfftAngry

Vila's my favourite character, but he's very thick in "Voice". It's not necessarily the FIRST time he's duped by Blake, but that he lets it happen AGAIN after it's clear there's something not right with Blake.

PS You're not very good at shooting Og there - you're shooting the wrong way Wink

JustBrad
i.imgur.com/9ik1naJ.jpg
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Vila's my favourite character, but he's very thick in "Voice".

Vila suffers from inconsistent writing. He can be quite clever, and a little bit dark, or an easily duped comic relief plot device.
Unfortunately, in this, he is the latter, but next week he is proficient enough at chess to follow Orac's rapid fire instructions in
a life or death game against Ze Klute.

Tarrant suffers a similar fate in S3 and S4, alternately gallantly heroic or a self centered bully.
Edited by JustBrad on 04 June 2020 21:34:10
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

BradPaula
One Spare Part wrote:

Perhaps we should be sharp with the writers who portrayed him variably.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

One Spare Part
BradPaula wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Yes very true. I always feel disappointed with Vila when he is in stupid mode but I suppose they all have to take turns being the one who does the daft thing to move the plot along. He is IT more than the rest, I think.

stormypetrel
BradPaula wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

This.

The trouble is, when you know someone’s not stupid, you notice when they do something that is. Same like staring in amazement as the class thicko accidentally comes out with something intelligent. Although I have known some RL people who appeared to suffer from inconsistent writing, now that I think about it.

In Vila’s favour this week, at least he hasn’t wrapped himself in the Liberator’s entire toilet paper stash and put on a funny accent...

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:
Although I have known some RL people who appeared to suffer from inconsistent writing, now that I think about it.

What a wonderful observation, StormyP! Have yourself a LOL and a gold star Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:
Although I have known some RL people who appeared to suffer from inconsistent writing, now that I think about it.

It is a good point. Maybe Vila's one of those people, while highly intelligent, decides to turn their brain off at times Wink

One Spare Part
trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

It is a good point. Maybe Vila's one of those people, while highly intelligent, decides to turn their brain off at times Wink

It seems like you really understand this...Wink

trevor travis
One Spare Part wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I may well do Wink

JustBrad
Interesting take on Vila, Stormy Petrol.

"I've had my head adjusted, but it just won't stay adjusted."

Maybe now we know why.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

stormypetrel
JustBrad wrote:

Interesting take on Vila, Stormy Petrol.

"I've had my head adjusted, but it just won't stay adjusted."

Maybe now we know why.

Could be! Difficult to adjust something that wasn’t quite wired right in the first place... although I can also see Vila being fairly skilled in the art of ‘nod and smile and look like you’re doing what they want until they go away and leave you alone’, which wouldn’t help.

littlesue
I shall be cheering very loudly when that gorgeous black flowing shirt hoves into view...hopefully my 8 weeks without a haircut won't get in the way!!!!
That shirt and what's in it makes the episode just about bearable...Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceresearcher
trevor travis wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I may well do Wink

I think there's something we can all learn from this.... don't you??? Wink (Reminded me of the thought for the day that used to come on the television with a random minister here is Australia when I was a kid.)

Hugbot
i.imgur.com/gQZt47j.jpg

littlesue
Just getting ready....tea, choccie, biccies. Toilet paper? Better not, it may get scarce again!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina

Is this referencing Guards Guards?!
LOL.

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

Just getting ready....tea, choccie, biccies. Toilet paper? Better not, it may get scarce again!!!

Supper is nearly ready - fish, peas, spinach.
Okay for loo roll at the mo' (today's shortages in Morrisons were Marmite, potatoes and dessicated coconut. Every shopping trip an adventure in 'guess the missing items'!).

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.80 seconds
27,254,777 unique visits since 8th January 2014