Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 2
trevor travis, Fiona

· Total Rebels: 1,220
· Newest Rebel: Blink

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch Australia C5: Harvest of Kairos - Sat 4th July
Joe Dredd
Joe Dredd wrote:

Obsidian wrote:
Travisina wrote:
Joe Dredd wrote:
But it did remind me of a story about malaria leading to the invention of the spark plug...

Huh?

Ditto...

I'll tell you at the end

Okay, so apparently before Europeans realised malaria was transmitted by mosquitoes, they noticed that you caught it when you went near swamps. Swamps are stinky, so they thought it was a disease caused by bad air. Hence 'malaria' -mal = bad, aira = air.

So some scientific types invented a sort of pop-gun, that was like a glass bottle with a big cork in it. You went to the swamp, scooped up some air, put the cork in and pulled the trigger. The gun had a mechanism they developed to make a spark. If the spark ignited the air in your gun, the little explosion would make teh cork shoot out of your gun, and you would know that the air was bad. You then ran away from the swamp (after spending half an hour wandering around trying to find your cork, while being bitten by mossies). The sparking mechanism became the basis for the spark plug that we have in our cars and lawn mowers and all sorts of engines.

Obsidian
meegat39 wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Servalan should take Orac with her, key or no key. She might be able to replicate it, or at least deny AVon and co the advantage.

Servie has rat cunning but is she bright enough to work that out?
Would the whole story collapse if she did?

It's interesting to speculate.

I don't think her mind was in the right place throughout much of this.

Yes she was a little distracted by Jarvik the Caveman. Ooh Er!

When I see see Andrew Burt in other things I have to remind myself he was Jarvik. Ooh er, exactly.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
Travisina
That was great fun! Harvest is one of my guilty pleasure episodes - I know I shouldn't like it, but I do!

Thanks for the company, everyone - I loved how our conversation segued to segways (geddit?), seaweed and cereal. It was a lot of fun!

Stay safe wherever you are in Australia, Japan and the UK, hope to see you again next week for my fave episode Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Obsidian
Joe Dredd wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Obsidian wrote:
Travisina wrote:
Joe Dredd wrote:
But it did remind me of a story about malaria leading to the invention of the spark plug...

Huh?

Ditto...

I'll tell you at the end

Okay, so apparently before Europeans realised malaria was transmitted by mosquitoes, they noticed that you caught it when you went near swamps. Swamps are stinky, so they thought it was a disease caused by bad air. Hence 'malaria' -mal = bad, aira = air.

So some scientific types invented a sort of pop-gun, that was like a glass bottle with a big cork in it. You went to the swamp, scooped up some air, put the cork in and pulled the trigger. The gun had a mechanism they developed to make a spark. If the spark ignited the air in your gun, the little explosion would make teh cork shoot out of your gun, and you would know that the air was bad. You then ran away from the swamp (after spending half an hour wandering around trying to find your cork, while being bitten by mossies). The sparking mechanism became the basis for the spark plug that we have in our cars and lawn mowers and all sorts of engines.

But the female Anopheles mosquito only stings after midnight so they got that all wrong. Should add, the spark plug was a good outcome considering.
Edited by Obsidian on 04 July 2020 11:00:34

meegat39
Joe Dredd wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Obsidian wrote:
Travisina wrote:
Joe Dredd wrote:

Huh?

Ditto...

I'll tell you at the end

Great story Joe Dredd!! I can see why you waited until the end to post it Grin
GARETH THOMAS: Paul is a very generous man, as a human being and as an actor. The programme couldnít have been made if we hadnít got on. Our working relationship was magic.

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:

Such a fun episode! I wonder why Avon never uses his rock again?

There was a great little one-page dialogue in one of the 'Enarrare' zines that had Avon and Vila discussing the sopron's defences. Avon talks up the advantage of looking stronger, whereas Vila says that going unnoticed and appearing less threatening (subtext, subtext) is a much better defence.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

That's fantastic - I never knew that!

meegat39
Obsidian wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Servalan should take Orac with her, key or no key. She might be able to replicate it, or at least deny AVon and co the advantage.

When I see see Andrew Burt in other things I have to remind myself he was Jarvik. Ooh er, exactly.

I'm glad we agree. I'm off to take a cold shower...
GARETH THOMAS: Paul is a very generous man, as a human being and as an actor. The programme couldnít have been made if we hadnít got on. Our working relationship was magic.

Obsidian
Joe Dredd wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Such a fun episode! I wonder why Avon never uses his rock again?

There was a great little one-page dialogue in one of the 'Enarrare' zines that had Avon and Vila discussing the sopron's defences. Avon talks up the advantage of looking stronger, whereas Vila says that going unnoticed and appearing less threatening (subtext, subtext) is a much better defence.

Equally valid arguments, context-driven.

Obsidian
meegat39 wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

I'm glad we agree. I'm off to take a cold shower...

Enjoy!

Joe Dredd
Obsidian wrote:
But the female Anopheles mosquito only stings after midnight so they got that all wrong. Should add, the spark plug was a good outcome considering.

I'll add that the corks were actually tied to the gun barrel, so you didn't actually have to go looking for them...

Joe Dredd
meegat39 wrote:
Great story Joe Dredd!! I can see why you waited until the end to post it :D

Thanks Meegat. I didn't want to miss the episode!

Obsidian
Travisina wrote:

That was great fun! Harvest is one of my guilty pleasure episodes - I know I shouldn't like it, but I do!

Thanks for the company, everyone - I loved how our conversation segued to segways (geddit?), seaweed and cereal. It was a lot of fun!

Stay safe wherever you are in Australia, Japan and the UK, hope to see you again next week for my fave episode Smile

'Course you enjoyed it, woman! Take care out there.

Obsidian
Joe Dredd wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

I'll add that the corks were actually tied to the gun barrel, so you didn't actually have to go looking for them...

Pop guns!

Obsidian
Thanks for the rewatch everyone! So glad you could join us Joe Dredd. A font of information.
Look after yourselves wherever you may be. xx

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
That's fantastic - I never knew that!

Thanks T. I heard about it on an old TV series by James Burke called "Connections". I saw it when I was in high school and it really switched me on to learning about real, 'factual' stuff.

Travisina
And just to connect spark plugs back to B7, one of the memoirs in 'Blake's Legacy' is called "Zen, clear the spark plugs for firing!" in which Christopher Payne recounts how he and friends used spark plugs as Libby handguns when playing B7 games!

Joe Dredd
Well good night everyone!

Thanks for your company everyone.

Joe Dredd
Obsidian wrote:

Thanks for the rewatch everyone! So glad you could join us Joe Dredd. A font of information.

Too kind, Obsidian - especially coming from someone who knows all about female Anopheles mosquitoes!

and training them to create a sophisticated distraction during a certain gem heist.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Too kind, Obsidian - especially coming from someone who knows all about female Anopheles mosquitoes!

and training them to create a sophisticated distraction during a certain gem heist.

GrinGrin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.68 seconds
27,347,881 unique visits since 8th January 2014