Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,221
· Newest Rebel: Dyettkev

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
August 2020 Ficlet Challenge
purplecleric
‘I consider Blake to be responsible. Oh, not personally, of course; but stories of his exploits are still circulating. They excite people. The fact that he is still free gives them hope. And that is dangerous, Travis. Hope is very dangerous.’ Servalan - Project Avalon

The word prompt this month is … HOPE

A feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen, a person or thing that may help or save someone or grounds for believing that something good may happen. Not a lot of hope in the B7 universe. Maybe you can find some?

And for the second challenge: the crew suddenly realise their survival depended upon ...
What? It’s up to you.

trevor travis
HOPE

Every day Tev Dareen lived in hope. The hope that Roj Blake and the Liberator would save him and his people from the tyranny of the Terran Federation. And now the Liberator was here, orbiting the planet Zaroxin, of which Dareen was puppet ruler.

Even the after-effects of the Intergalactic and Galactic Wars had not shaken off the Federation rule on Zaroxin – the mineral Jadesthyst 576 was simply too valuable to them, it provided almost ever-lasting fuel to Federation ships.

But now Blake was here…

Even though Dareen had not seen Blake yet. Just Avon. But Dareen knew Kerr Avon was the trusty lieutenant and right-hand man of Blake.

“Avon, do you promise that you and Blake will free us from the Federation?”, he asked the man in leather and studs.

“Now then, Dareen. I gave my word. If you can give the Liberator a sufficient supply of Jadesthyst 576 - just 7.3 kilos would suffice - then I will free you from the Federation.”

“I would require to see Roj Blake first.”

“I’m afraid that’s not possible. Blake picked up an injury during the Intergalactic War and is now ship bound. He directs our operations from the ship.”

He saw the question forming on Darren’s lips and added: “And before you ask, it isn’t possible for you to board Liberator, we’ve learnt our lesson from past experience. And I’m afraid I must hurry you - it won’t take long for the Federation to work out we are here, especially with their own Kommissar on this planet.”

Dareen came to a decision. “I accept, Avon”, he enthused and shook Avon warmly by the hand, much to Avon’s discomfort.

“And they just gave us the Jadesthyst 576 without wanting anything in return?”. Tarrant was amazed.

“Apparently, it was enough for them to be giving the mineral to the famous Liberator. I don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

Cally looked puzzled. “Avon, they do know Blake is no longer part of the crew?”

She suspected the worst once he changed the subject. “I suggest we leave as soon as possible, before Federation ships work out where we are. Zen, standard by eight. Get us out of here."

++CONFIRMED++

Some hours later, Avon was alone on the flight deck. Zen intoned: ++INFORMATION, A FEDERATION CRUISER IS HEADING TO THE PLANET ZAROXIN++

Avon mulled over that information. That would be Servalan’s ship. It wouldn’t take her long to find out that Dareen had given Jadesthyst 576 to the Liberator.

Soon Dareen would be free just as Avon has promised. But not in quite the way he was anticipating.

Avon smiled.

THE END

Edited by trevor travis on 01 August 2020 18:50:13

littlesue
Dear TT, please give us oldies a chance to actually sit down in front of our keyboard and come up with an idea!!!
But saying that...very chilling...
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

GanMiniMe
Ooh, Trevor Travis, that was great!

Travisina
Excellent, TT. Neat idea, good dialogue. Very Avon!

I also liked spotting the little continuity touches - the 7.3 kilos (1/10 of a Vila?), and Avon's discomfort at having his hand shaken!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

GanMiniMe
Where There is Life

He did not know how long he had been staring at the ceiling. He didn’t want to turn onto his right side; there was a window but when he looked at it all he could see was his own reflection. He turned onto his left side instead, clenching his face against the pain. His arm was burning, as if hundreds of boiling hot termites were munching it down to the bone.
His attention was diverted by the middle-aged man who had just walked to the nurses’ station. He picked up his jacket and for a moment the wounded man was amused by the sight of him trying, and failing, to put his arm through the sleeve. He gave up and slung it casually over his shoulder; at that moment their eyes met. He tried to look away again but it was too late- he was already coming over.

“Travis?” No answer. No surprise there.
“My name is Mr. Dochelli. I am a cyber surgeon. Dr. Marriott asked me to speak to you.”
“I don’t want surgery.” Came the reply through gritted teeth. Dochelli chose to let the moment draw out for a minute or two.

“You’re going to live,” he said peremptorily. “But you already knew that.”
“Did I?” It was a rhetorical question but Dochelli answered it anyway.
“Yes. You wouldn’t have been referred to me otherwise. The Federation doesn’t waste resources on people who won’t survive. Have you given any thought to what you will do once you are well enough to leave?”
Of course he had. It was all he’d thought about for the past four days and five nights.
Dochelli sat back and gazed out of the window for a moment.

“Imagine that the events of a few days ago hadn’t happened.” This was met with a short, harsh bark of mirthless laughter.
“I’m serious. Think back. What did you want to be? How far did you want to go?” Travis didn’t want to answer.

“Do you know your history, Travis?”
Is this a joke? He thought.
“Have you ever heard of Nelson? He was the greatest naval hero of the pre-Federation era. He lost an eye, and an arm-“ his eye flitted over the bandage covering one side of Travis’ face, and the empty sleeve lying limply on the bed. “And, oddly enough, he also suffered terribly with seasickness. Imagine that! The greatest admiral in history used to get seasick! Everything was against him, Travis. But he was still an outstanding commander and a national hero.”
Travis wished Dochelli would go away and take his motivational lecture with him. Easy enough to be optimistic sitting there with two arms and two eyes and no pain, what did he know about how horribly, disgustingly helpless it felt to be here? A week ago Travis would have broken his arm and given him a black eye, just as a taster of how it felt.
“In those days, prosthetics were primitive. Legs would be made of wood, eyes would be made out of glass... for those who could afford them. I do not fit wooden legs or glass eyes. We have come quite a way since then.”
“What is the point? I can’t return to the military.”
“Why not?”
“To qualify as a Federation soldier you need to be able to use a rifle. For that you need two fully articulating hands.”
“Not necessarily. There are exemptions-“
”I do not want to be an exception!” Travis snarled, his blood rapidly reaching boiling point. Dochelli stopped for a moment and Travis turned onto his other side. He could see his mutilated reflection; he could also still see Dochelli.

“You would not need to use a rifle; you would be the rifle.”
Travis’ good eye met Dochelli’s gaze reflected in the window. Dochelli continued.

“The regulations were amended last year to reflect advances in cybernetic prosthetics. If you can demonstrate that your new arm enhances your performance rather than limits it, you may continue in your current role. You can get one that was stronger than the original, less susceptible to damage, it can even modified to contain a weapon. Our resources are stretched thinly, and the results won’t be very pretty- but if you want to you can get transferred back to Earth for cosmetic work afterwards.”
Dochelli was finally getting up to leave. Travis didn’t speak but deep down he found he wanted him to stay a little longer.
“Think it over. We can talk more tomorrow.”

As he turned to go, Dochelli felt he had reason to hope that, the next day, Travis may be more forthcoming.
Edited by GanMiniMe on 04 August 2020 12:55:31

mrsbookmark
Wow TT. That was very much dark Avon.
GanMiniMe: I like having a Travis story. this is good in a Stephen Grief voice.

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

HOPE

Every day Tev Dareen lived in hope. The hope that Roj Blake and the Liberator would save him and his people from the tyranny of the Terran Federation. And now the Liberator was here, orbiting the planet Zaroxin, of which Dareen was puppet ruler.

Even the after-effects of the Intergalactic and Galactic Wars had not shaken off the Federation rule on Zaroxin – the mineral Jadesthyst 576 was simply too valuable to them, it provided almost ever-lasting fuel to Federation ships.

But now Blake was here…

Even though Dareen had not seen Blake yet. Just Avon. But Dareen knew Kerr Avon was the trusty lieutenant and right-hand man of Blake.

“Avon, do you promise that you and Blake will free us from the Federation?”, he asked the man in leather and studs.

“Now then, Dareen. I gave my word. If you can give the Liberator a sufficient supply of Jadesthyst 576 - just 7.3 kilos would suffice - then I will free you from the Federation.”

“I would require to see Roj Blake first.”

“I’m afraid that’s not possible. Blake picked up an injury during the Intergalactic War and is now ship bound. He directs our operations from the ship.”

He saw the question forming on Darren’s lips and added: “And before you ask, it isn’t possible for you to board Liberator, we’ve learnt our lesson from past experience. And I’m afraid I must hurry you - it won’t take long for the Federation to work out we are here, especially with their own Kommissar on this planet.”

Dareen came to a decision. “I accept, Avon”, he enthused and shook Avon warmly by the hand, much to Avon’s discomfort.

“And they just gave us the Jadesthyst 576 without wanting anything in return?”. Tarrant was amazed.

“Apparently, it was enough for them to be giving the mineral to the famous Liberator. I don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

Cally looked puzzled. “Avon, they do know Blake is no longer part of the crew?”

She suspected the worst once he changed the subject. “I suggest we leave as soon as possible, before Federation ships work out where we are. Zen, standard by eight. Get us out of here."

++CONFIRMED++

Some hours later, Avon was alone on the flight deck. Zen intoned: ++INFORMATION, A FEDERATION CRUISER IS HEADING TO THE PLANET ZAROXIN++

Avon mulled over that information. That would be Servalan’s ship. It wouldn’t take her long to find out that Dareen had given Jadesthyst 576 to the Liberator.

Soon Dareen would be free just as Avon has promised. But not in quite the way he was anticipating.

Avon smiled.

THE END

I rarely read any of the fan fics on here, but read this one. Very good TT!! Suitably sinister and Avon at his most self serving best (or worst?!)
GARETH THOMAS: Paul is a very generous man, as a human being and as an actor. The programme couldn’t have been made if we hadn’t got on. Our working relationship was magic.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
27,425,227 unique visits since 8th January 2014