Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,059
· Newest Rebel: Johnrcamm

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [32 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
16% [21 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
7% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 134
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
What are you watching?
rojroj
sweevo wrote:

Amadeus, the 1984 movie based on the stage play of the same name, starring Tom Hulce as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and F Murray Abraham (who steals the show in my humble opinion) as Antonio Salieri.


Great movie! And the actor who played Salieri was awarded for this role.

The stage play was written by Peter Shaffer -- who, incidentally, also wrote "Equus". In one stage production of Equus, Gareth Thomas played the lead role, a psychiatrist named Dysart.
 
https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
rojroj
rojkerr1 wrote:

I think the original catches the atmosphere of the book better, like the kid who plays Piggy etc, and there's a more authentic atmosphere I think -and when I read the book I always visualise him. Its a very British film, like the novel. I can practically recite the bit where he goes over the cliff...


Thank you! Yes, in the 1990 version there are too many changes (like the presence of a grown-up character on the island, which I didn't like). Though the children are perhaps somewhat better actors. Some of the dialogues in the 1963 version sound a bit flat.
 
https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
One Spare Part
rojroj wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

I think the original catches the atmosphere of the book better, like the kid who plays Piggy etc, and there's a more authentic atmosphere I think -and when I read the book I always visualise him. Its a very British film, like the novel. I can practically recite the bit where he goes over the cliff...


Thank you! Yes, in the 1990 version there are too many changes (like the presence of a grown-up character on the island, which I didn't like). Though the children are perhaps somewhat better actors. Some of the dialogues in the 1963 version sound a bit flat.

I don't mind lack of acting ability sometimes. It can make the situation feel more real somehow. Most kids aren't actors and they don't always speak "with great feeling" if you see what I am pathetically trying to get at. I think the kids seem too self aware in the modern version although I don't dislike it. The original has the background of the beginning of the cold war and all that went with it. It adds weight.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Travisina
rojroj wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

I think the original catches the atmosphere of the book better, like the kid who plays Piggy etc, and there's a more authentic atmosphere I think -and when I read the book I always visualise him. Its a very British film, like the novel. I can practically recite the bit where he goes over the cliff...


Thank you! Yes, in the 1990 version there are too many changes (like the presence of a grown-up character on the island, which I didn't like). Though the children are perhaps somewhat better actors. Some of the dialogues in the 1963 version sound a bit flat.

I've only seen the 1963 version. I also read the book when I was far too young (it was in my parents' bookcase and they advised me not to read it. So I read it in secret, behind the sofa - and wished I hadn't).

I read it subsequently when I was older, and able to appreciate it. But I can also quote by heart the bit where Piggy goes over the cliff - and the way it's described in the book. Scarred me for life that did, especially as I have vertigo & am petrified of falling.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
One Spare Part
Well it's December and as Kate Bush says "December will be magic again". So in that spirit I am watching some of my fave Christmas films. Just watched the original Miracle on 34th Street - Natalie Wood was a great child actor. Am currently watching White Christmas. I love a good musical and this has got loads of Plusses: Bing Danny Rosemary & Vera with a fab support cast. And the song and dance routines are brilliant.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
rojroj
One Spare Part: yes, I liked the cold war background, too, in the 1963 version -- and I thought the mention of war was important in the novel as well. The grown-ups are waging a war so they really aren't any better than the children on the island. And the children get rescued by a battle cruiser, which is hardly a relief.

Travisina: agreed, definitely not a book for children :)
 
https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
rojkerr1
what you said onespare part, re delivery etc, seems more realistic, have you seen Culloden? That comes over as a semi-documentary.
rojroj, love the last line of the book as the officer embarrassed by childrens tears, rests his eyes on the trim cruiser in the distance...captures British stiff upper lip and diffidence perfectly
 
Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

what you said onespare part, re delivery etc, seems more realistic, have you seen Culloden? That comes over as a semi-documentary.
rojroj, love the last line of the book as the officer embarrassed by childrens tears, rests his eyes on the trim cruiser in the distance...captures British stiff upper lip and diffidence perfectly

I love the whole last section. Ralph is fleeing for his life; Jack has 'sharpened a stick at both ends' - we know what fate he has planned for Ralph. But then we get the adult officer's POV - he sees kids playing at savages, not the deadly battle that has resulted in two deaths. Powerful stuff.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
rojroj
rojkerr1 wrote:

rojroj, love the last line of the book as the officer embarrassed by childrens tears, rests his eyes on the trim cruiser in the distance...captures British stiff upper lip and diffidence perfectly


Oh yes, great ending. Also, Ralph crying for the darkness in human heart, homage to Conrad...
 
https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

what you said onespare part, re delivery etc, seems more realistic, have you seen Culloden? That comes over as a semi-documentary.

Well I have just finished watching Culloden, having decided only to take a peek at it. I think I saw it years ago, some parts seeming familiar. It is horrible and fantastic. The extras were brilliant. Having them voice the words of the men...and women...who were there made it hit home hard. I had forgotten how many Scots fought against Scots. Brutal. And a great piece of filmwork.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
rojkerr1
brilliant stuff
 
Child Of Auron
Finished The Avengers tonight with the last episode of season 6.

This second re-watch for me opened my eyes up to the first three seasons, so much better than I remember from my first watch though they are still a little dry in places. I adore Honor Blackman's Cathy Gale.

Season 4 has now become my favourite - the first Emma Peel had a better air of mystery to it which was lost in the next year, maybe it was the colour. However, I still agree that the Emma Peel seasons are the best.

Tara King - the series was definitely running out of ideas in its final year and Linda Thorson suffered from inconsistent writing. One episode she was karate chopping, high kicking and well involved in the plot, the next she was sidelined without much to do - even in episodes written by Brian Clemens.

A good series overall but it will be sometime before I will feel the need to go back and watch it again.

Now back to Mystic Falls for the sixth season of The Vampire Diaries
 
Joe Dredd
Watched "Silly, But it's Fun" last night, the S6 Christmas episode of "The Good Life".
 
One Spare Part
Child Of Auron wrote:

Finished The Avengers tonight with the last episode of season 6.

This second re-watch for me opened my eyes up to the first three seasons, so much better than I remember from my first watch though they are still a little dry in places. I adore Honor Blackman's Cathy Gale.

Season 4 has now become my favourite - the first Emma Peel had a better air of mystery to it which was lost in the next year, maybe it was the colour. However, I still agree that the Emma Peel seasons are the best.

Tara King - the series was definitely running out of ideas in its final year and Linda Thorson suffered from inconsistent writing. One episode she was karate chopping, high kicking and well involved in the plot, the next she was sidelined without much to do - even in episodes written by Brian Clemens.

A good summing up and assessment. You make me want to revisit the first three series.
The emma peel series is a game of two halves as they say: the first as you say nigh on perfect peak of how the series had developed up until then; the colour series I love equally well but I take your point. The development took a sideways turn which took flight for that season but came crashing down with the arrival of Tara King: too potty.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
sweevo
My annual rewatch of The Big Lebowski, celebrating not only the movie's 20th anniversary but also the Dude's birthday. Smile
 
sweevo
My annual rewatch of Flash Gordon, the 1980 cult classic with BRIAN BLESSED and an awesome Queen soundtrack. Smile
 
One Spare Part
sweevo wrote:

My annual rewatch of Flash Gordon, the 1980 cult classic with BRIAN BLESSED and an awesome Queen soundtrack. Smile

GORDON'S ALIVE!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
rojkerr1
Peter Duncan still has that log stinging creature thingy!
 
Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

Peter Duncan still has that log stinging creature thingy!

"No! Not the bore worms!"

A couple of years ago, hubby & I went to a special screening of Flash Gordon at the University of Hertfordshire's cinema. BRIAN BLESSED was guest of honour, and was sitting in the row behind us! After the screening he did a Q&A on stage - or rather, there was one question and his answer lasted an hour! He signed autographs afterwards. Brilliant Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
One Spare Part
BRIAN BLESSED is a national treasure and such an underrated actor. Yes he shouts a lot but even when he shouts a lot in a role he does it with meaning and brilliance. If you want to see him at the other end of the register check out his performance as Augustus in I Claudius. Also watch him in The Sweeney episode 'Ringer'...magnificent.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.62 seconds
16,759,760 unique visits since 8th January 2014