Print Thread
Survivors rewatch - 1.8 Spoil Of War
trevor travis

Nixxie wrote:

Can;t they get around the back?

'Tis what Greg is trying to do.
Vote Og.

Nixxie
Did anyone elses episode konk out? I've found this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWxlImdHKE

Paula

Nixxie wrote:

Did anyone elses episode konk out? I've found this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWxlImdHKE

My YouTube feed just konked out. Can't get it to go past 39 minutes.
Resist the Host

Nixxie
he would've run out of cartridges eventually.

trevor travis
Vic Thatcher!
Vote Og.

OneSparePart

Nixxie wrote:

Thanks for that farmer Nixxie. Saved my bacon
There's an angel standing in the sun Free to get back home

Nixxie
Poor chap - left all on his own. it's a surprise he survived at all.

trevor travis
It must be months since the second episode.
Vote Og.

Paula
Back to the episode. Vic.
Resist the Host

Nixxie

OneSparePart wrote:

Nixxie wrote:

Thanks for that farmer Nixxie. Saved my bacon

ohh arr ohh arr !! (am I a farmer or a pirate??)

trevor travis
Terry Scully was Groff in Dawn Of The Gods.
Vote Og.

Nixxie

trevor travis wrote:

It must be months since the second episode.

3 months I'm guessing. poor chap - all that time on his own - no wonder he's a bit bonkers.

trevor travis
Vic and Greg finally work out how nasty Anne Tranter is - something we knew since the second episode.
Vote Og.

Nixxie
Ohh Tom - i thought you have better morals than that

Paula

Nixxie wrote:

Ohh Tom - i thought you have better morals than that

He gets a lot worse.
Resist the Host

Nixxie
aww, they took his chair - that's neat.

they do need to start taking spare tires with them in their lorries though

Paula
Bye bye to the quarry and Doctor Who and Blake's 7.
Resist the Host

trevor travis
And no-one died again!
Vote Og.

OneSparePart
They better find a new van. They will get clocked doing too many trips to and from vic's place

Nixxie
That was a good episode - bit odd mix of storylines mashed in together like last week rather than one cohesive thread.

but yes. nice to get a big group together - not sure how long it'll last though.

Paula
What? A some-what happy ending?
Resist the Host

Nixxie
Thanks for the company, all. take care till next time!

OneSparePart
The group is really coming together .

trevor travis
The Fourth Horseman 10
Genesis 9
Gone Away 8
Corn Dolly 9
Gone To The Angels 8
Garland's War 10
Starvation 7
Spoil Of War 8
Vote Og.

Paula
Well, that wasn't so bad today. I won't have nightmares tonight. Real life provides enough of that lately. Great to join in and converse with you all. 'Night all.
Resist the Host

trevor travis
Review from a previous rewatch:

(1.8) “Spoil Of War” by MK Jeeves (aka Clive Exton)
Directed by Gerald Blake

I mentioned that Survivors episodes often have an A plot and a B plot – well in this episode, rather than cut between the two, we actually have an episode that almost splits in two. This might sound a bit unsatisfactory, but it works well here.

To begin with, we have the Survivors trying to start to farm the land. They are predictability rubbish at it, at which point Andred... sorry Paul turns up and tells them how they should be doing it. Fortunately Andred... sorry Paul turns out to be a lot less annoying than the dude in “New Arrivals” in season two. Greg is initially a bit put out by his arrival, but has accepted Andred... sorry Paul by the close of the episode.

Paul (played with real spirit by Chris Tranchell) is not the only new character here. We also have Arthur Russell and his secretary Charmian turn up in a caravan. Most of our Survivors are quite posh (which makes sense, if anyone was likely to not only come through the Death, but also the subsequent typhoid etc, it was going to be the upper/middle classes) but these are frightfully posh, even more so than Abby (whose house had outhouses!).

Arthur initially comes over as not terribly likeable, although the scene outside with Charmian shows maybe he’s not as superior in attitude as he might display elsewhere.

And then we return to the quarry and this is where the actions cranks up, as we have a dramatic shootout with persons unknown in the hut. Of course, the viewer knows what Greg doesn’t – that Vic didn’t die in “Genesis”.

Greg’s practicality comes to the rescue, and no-one is shot. And then there’s the reveal that the gunman is Vic Thatcher. The “reunion” between Greg and Vic is a great scene, as both realise just what a piece of work that Anne Tranter (boo, hiss) is. Vic vows revenge on Anne; if you like Vic I’ll tie her down and cover her in petrol and hand you the match!

Along the way, there’s more interesting exchanges between Tom and Barney ... at one point Tom describes Barney as more of a pet than a friend. And Tom is also willing to send Barney into danger in the quarry (until Greg yells and tells him not to). More foreshadowing of what is to come.

So a segmented but effective episode. And by the time the end credits roll (and we hear that tremendous theme tune), the fledging community at the Grange has 13 members (Abby, Greg, Jenny, John, Lizzie, Tom Price, Andred... sorry Paul, Emma, Wendy, Barney, Vic Thatcher, Arthur and Charmian). How many will survive the next two years?

TT Og heads out of ten:

Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft
Vote Og.

OneSparePart
That is a good score TT. Better than last week room for improvement.

trevor travis

OneSparePart wrote:

I'll tell you next week's score already: it's a 10. No other spoilers, though Wink
Vote Og.

OneSparePart
Great rewatch. Hasta la vista

trevor travis
Thanks everyone for your company. See you next week for Episode 9: Law And Order.
Vote Og.

OneSparePart

trevor travis wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

I'll tell you next week's score already: it's a 10. No other spoilers, though Wink

Ooh!(rubs hands together in anticipation). I really am enjoying watching this again.

Jump to Forum