View Thread
 Print Thread
Reading the runes on the 'Children of the Stones' rewatch
Cygnus Bazza
Bearing the responsibility of being the one who suggested this - and having dug out the current links to the series on YouTube* - it probably makes sense for me to try to nail down the scheduling. Obviously the rewatch was deferred by 3 weeks to make room for the Triffs and (with that precedent in mind) I'd like to suggest deferring it a further 3 weeks so that it starts straight after Easter (Weds April 12th). Why? Well, so that I can join in! Pre-Easter is challenging and not even the prospect of Mrs Crabtree at her zenith can change the laws of physics or indeed babysitting.

I'm assuming it's going to be a Wednesday-fest. So definitely not a case of 'Monday, Tuesday, Happy Days' but 'Wednesday, Happy Day!'

There are 7 episodes - they're 25-minuters - so the question would be whether to go for a 2-2-2-1, 2-3-2, 3-2-2 or 2-2-3 formation. Could even blitz it in a single evening tbh (7.30pm start for a 10pm finish, using the all-in-one YouTube link).

Obviously deferral until Our Lord is Risen would leave a 3-week void in your rewatch schedule but I'm sure M1's got something up her sleeve. For instance, I know she's desperate to do a 'Quatermass' rewatch as it reminds her of her halcyon days in the experimental rocketry business. That's assuming Mollie Sugden's sci-fi classic 'Come Back, Mrs Noah' is a no-no. M1 literally never tires of telling me this is the "gold standard of space-based situation comedy" (that's a direct quote). Alternatively, if you want to gawp at something spacey, you could just watch some old footage of Hawkwind. Actually, forget that - if you watch old footage of Hawkwind I definitely need to be involved!

Thoughts would be appreciated - I've got this mortal dread of getting sidelined on this one (CotS, not Mrs Noah). Hence the desire to 'get it sorted'. BTW if anyone's ever moved to propose a rewatch of Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis', I'd second that emotion.

* Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSIpk...SIpkxMkT0M
All-in-one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT0w...amp;t=335s
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
OneSparePart
I don't mind waiting for the Happy Day and the thought of a Quatermass watch sends me goosey. I assume you mean the 3 films?
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
Cygnus Bazza

OneSparePart wrote:

I don't mind waiting for the Happy Day and the thought of a Quatermass watch sends me goosey. I assume you mean the 3 films?

That sounds promising! Thanks for that. I'd certainly sacrifice Quatermass for CotS - although, in terms of me, myself and I and my personal ideal world, CotS straight after Easter, then the 3 Quatermass films (which I bloomin' love - 'specially the second one for some obscure reason), would be a dream scenario. Even more so if that were followed by the Dr Who/Pertwee classic 'The Daemons' with Roger Delgado as a vicar. How about some Hammer horrors for some short-term gap-pluggers? Then there's the sci-fi pantheon ('2001', 'Andromeda Strain' etc etc). Or a pot-pourri of Star Trek classics ('Trouble with Tribbles' etc)? Or stuff like 'The Edge of Darkness'? Or the old Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe movies? Just suggestions. As I say, as long as CotS could be nudged back, I'd be absolutely cock-a-hoop.
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
trevor travis
I noticed other days were being discussed. Could it be moved to Thursdays from April 13th, and then you'll have one more for the re-watch (or watch in my case, since I've not seen it before).
Vote Og.
 
OneSparePart

trevor travis wrote:

I noticed other days were being discussed. Could it be moved to Thursdays from April 13th, and then you'll have one more for the re-watch (or watch in my case, since I've not seen it before).

That'd be good. M'Virn was wondering about a day change too, I think.
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
OneSparePart

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

I don't mind waiting for the Happy Day and the thought of a Quatermass watch sends me goosey. I assume you mean the 3 films?

That sounds promising! Thanks for that. I'd certainly sacrifice Quatermass for CotS - although, in terms of me, myself and I and my personal ideal world, CotS straight after Easter, then the 3 Quatermass films (which I bloomin' love - 'specially the second one for some obscure reason), would be a dream scenario. Even more so if that were followed by the Dr Who/Pertwee classic 'The Daemons' with Roger Delgado as a vicar. How about some Hammer horrors for some short-term gap-pluggers? Then there's the sci-fi pantheon ('2001', 'Andromeda Strain' etc etc). Or a pot-pourri of Star Trek classics ('Trouble with Tribbles' etc)? Or stuff like 'The Edge of Darkness'? Or the old Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe movies? Just suggestions. As I say, as long as CotS could be nudged back, I'd be absolutely cock-a-hoop.

I'd be up for all of that. But the Tribbles would be under protest...
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
Cygnus Bazza
Thursdays should be fine from my side of things, apart from an unavoidable Eurovision Semi-Final clash on 11th May, when I'll be submerged in Swiss cheeses, Scandinavian crispbreads and sundry other nibbles of many nations.

Tribbles BINNED!
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
M1795537OCVirn
But tribbles would breed in the bins as well....

I liked - if that's the right word - Edge of Darkness when it was shown. I'd be interested to see what I'd make of it now. I'd also be up for anything with Roger Delgado as the Master. I know I watched Quatermass once but I can't remember much about it, except that my Mum was scared by it.
I don't mind which night so Thursday is fine. (I have no life).

Didn't know there were Eurovision semis until CB mentioned them. Are they on TV? (Why?) But I also spotted this:
https://eurovision.tv/story/hay-festi...ok-contest
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
trevor travis

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Thursdays should be fine from my side of things, apart from an unavoidable Eurovision Semi-Final clash on 11th May, when I'll be submerged in Swiss cheeses, Scandinavian crispbreads and sundry other nibbles of many nations.

Tribbles BINNED!


By my calculations, with a 2-2-2-1 formation, we'll have finished COTS by Thursday, May 4th.

So, we can rest the Wednesday - now Thursday - rewatch for 3 weeks, then starts COTS on Thursday, April 13th, have another week off for Eurovision on May 11th, and then we'll have plenty of time to work out what we do from Thursday, May 18th onwards.
Vote Og.
 
Cygnus Bazza

trevor travis wrote:


By my calculations, with a 2-2-2-1 formation, we'll have finished COTS by Thursday, May 4th.

So, we can rest the Wednesday - now Thursday - rewatch for 3 weeks, then starts COTS on Thursday, April 13th, have another week off for Eurovision on May 11th, and then we'll have plenty of time to work out what we do from Thursday, May 18th onwards.

All looks absolutely rock solid from my viewpoint, TT. (There's an Avebury pun in there somewhere.) Now I just need to come up with some suitable Neolithic nibbles for rewatch night.
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
OneSparePart

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

But tribbles would breed in the bins as well....

I liked - if that's the right word - Edge of Darkness when it was shown. I'd be interested to see what I'd make of it now. I'd also be up for anything with Roger Delgado as the Master. I know I watched Quatermass once but I can't remember much about it, except that my Mum was scared by it.
I don't mind which night so Thursday is fine. (I have no life).

Didn't know there were Eurovision semis until CB mentioned them. Are they on TV? (Why?) But I also spotted this:
https://eurovision.tv/story/hay-festi...ok-contest

Children of the Stones, Quatermass, Edge of Darkness, Star Trek, Roger Delgado....I am delirious....
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
Cygnus Bazza

M1795537OCVirn wrote:


Didn't know there were Eurovision semis until CB mentioned them. Are they on TV? (Why?) But I also spotted this:
https://eurovision.tv/story/hay-festi...ok-contest

Honestly... Haven't you read ANY books about Eurovision??? Of COURSE they're televised! Eurovision lasts a week these days, from the Red Carpet Ceremony the previous Sunday through to the winner's Press Conference after the Grand Final. Now come ON...

Oh and Finland 4 the WIN, by the way! Here. First.

(Edit - can't not mention Austria's nifty little number too. Whoever would've thought that Edgar Allan Poe's name could be a CHORUS????)
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 19-03-2023 14:17
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
Cygnus Bazza

OneSparePart wrote:


Children of the Stones, Quatermass, Edge of Darkness, Star Trek, Roger Delgado....I am delirious....

With that lot on the menu, delirium is the minimum requirement.
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
OneSparePart
Can someone post what we are actually doing with the rewatch? For clarity.
As far as I am aware COTS is being delayed for 3 weeks then being moved to Thursday, beginning 13th April. Are we resting Wednesdays in the meantime or.....?
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
Cygnus Bazza

OneSparePart wrote:

Can someone post what we are actually doing with the rewatch? For clarity.
As far as I am aware COTS is being delayed for 3 weeks then being moved to Thursday, beginning 13th April. Are we resting Wednesdays in the meantime or.....?

TT's most recent post talks about a 3-week hiatus (with CotS starting immediately after Easter), but surely that's only if there's no-one interested in filling that space. As I see it, the next 3 rewatch slots are up for grabs. I'd have thought that, if you, M1, AnneA etc throw some ideas around in the next day or two, something can be put in place very quickly. (I can't participate pre-Easter, so obviously won't involve myself in the discussions.)
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
Travisina

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

But tribbles would breed in the bins as well....

I liked - if that's the right word - Edge of Darkness when it was shown. I'd be interested to see what I'd make of it now.

Coincidentally, I've just rewatched it on BBC iPlayer - first time I've seen it since 1985, when I watched it on a black & white TV in a haunted bedsit in Manchester...

It holds up very well - fantastic performances from Bob Peck & Joe Don Baker, and young Joanne Whalley, long before she was Whalley-Kilmer. And my prosopagnosia was sorely tested by familiar-looking actors who I couldn't place. Luckily the end credits were a leisurely scroll so I could go "Oh, that was Tim McInnerny, that was Hugh Fraser!" etc.

As for plot, it holds up very well indeed. It could be remade today, just replacing anti-nuclear protests with anti-climate change / anti-oil, or whatever the anti de jour happens to be.

Dark (literally and figuratively), disturbing and highly recommended!
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
M1795537OCVirn
Thanks, Travisina!

OK, then - anyone up for watching Edge of Darkness (from behind the sofa)? 4 episodes on BBC i-player. Two per week starting Wednesday22nd? That gives us a week off before CotS starts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...f-darkness
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
OneSparePart
I'm so excited. Blakes 7, Children of the Stones and Edge of Darkness....
It's been a while since I last watched EoD. So looking forward to this. I saw Bob Peck, incidentally, on stage at Stratford as Macbeth c.1980. And a certain Josette Simon was a witch...
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
M1795537OCVirn
Hold the excitement: looking closer (warned by Travisina) the BBC have taken down the first two episodes of EoD (ran out of time), so it's probably not worth starting half-way in. Sorry. Any other suggestions?
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
OracVZen

OneSparePart wrote:

I don't mind waiting for the Happy Day and the thought of a Quatermass watch sends me goosey. I assume you mean the 3 films?

Hiya,well there was 5 Quaternass series
The Quaternass expirement
Quaternass 2
Quaternass and the pit
Quaternass (4)
Quaternass expirement remake with David Tennant ( 1 epsisode)
So could be classed as BBC TV film!

And 4 films (not including) as above BBC remake
Quaternass expirement
Quaternass 2
Quaternass and the pit
Quaternass conclusion
(Film version of Quaternass (4))
Got all except Quaternass (4) and Quaternass conclusion (4)
And got all that's been suggested,except edge of darkness,but I watch both versions regular.
Am I that sad!
Happy days
Edited by OracVZen on 21-03-2023 13:50
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
M1795537OCVirn
Stop Press: One Spare Part says all six episodes of Edge Of Darkness are available on Dailymotion, so let's go for it.

Are we going to have two episodes per Wednesday for three weeks then CotS on Thursdays?

And maybe (thanks, OracvZen) have Quatermass on the list for after CotS?
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
OracVZen

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Stop Press: One Spare Part says all six episodes of Edge Of Darkness are available on Dailymotion, so let's go for it.

Are we going to have two episodes per Wednesday for three weeks then CotS on Thursdays?

And maybe (thanks, OracvZen) have Quatermass on the list for after CotS?

Your welcome,are you saying cots this Thursday?
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
OracVZen
How about Nigel Kneel
Beasts
6 episodes 50 minutes each
All separate stand alone ,bit like armchair Theatre/tales of the unexpected etc
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
OneSparePart

OracVZen wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Stop Press: One Spare Part says all six episodes of Edge Of Darkness are available on Dailymotion, so let's go for it.

Are we going to have two episodes per Wednesday for three weeks then CotS on Thursdays?

And maybe (thanks, OracvZen) have Quatermass on the list for after CotS?

Your welcome,are you saying cots this Thursday?

COTS will start thursday 13th april. In the lead up to that , edge of darkness x 2 eps every wednesday for 3 weeks starting tmrw. That means we will finish on 5th april...excited? I am Frown
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
M1795537OCVirn
Yay, we got there!
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
AnneArthur
That's a shame - I won't be able to make the first episode of Children of the Stones.
 
AnneArthur
I've never heard of Edge of Darkness, but it looks interesting.
 
OneSparePart

AnneArthur wrote:

I've never heard of Edge of Darkness, but it looks interesting.

It is. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks to me now. I was thoroughly gripped back in the day.
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!
 
Cygnus Bazza

AnneArthur wrote:

That's a shame - I won't be able to make the first episode of Children of the Stones.

That'd be a massive pity! The first couple of episodes are pretty crucial and contain some absolute highlights of the series, mostly Mrs Crabtree-related. Personally, I'd be fine with starting a week later and going for a 3-2-2, 2-3-2 or 2-2-3 formation so we still end on 4th May - the episodes are only 25 minutes, after all. I'd also have thought it'd be easy enough to wheel out something else for a one-off rewatch for 13th April. See what the others think - M1 might well throw a wobbler at more timetable tweaking - but it really would be a shame for you not to be on board for the whole CotS voyage.
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
Cygnus Bazza
OK - judging from the deafening silence, I'll assume we'll stick with Plan A, kicking off on 13th April. Had a quick jaunt down to Avebury this week, just to get myself in the mood. Tramping up to West Kennet long barrow in a howling gale - my idea of heaven.
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
M1795537OCVirn
Wobbler? Moi? You're underestimating me again, Travis.

Instead of changing dates etc again, why not PM AnneA links to wherever she can watch the first couple of episodes in her own time then join in for the rest?

CotS had better be good after all this.
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
Cygnus Bazza

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

CotS had better be good after all this.

Fret not - it'll be phantasmagorical. And that's just Mrs Crabtree standing in the road! If nothing else, CotS will make you redefine what you think astrophysics is. No, really. (You may need to re-read this post after you've seen Episode One.)

TT's posted the links already so I'm sure AA will be able to find them as/when she needs/wants them.

Edit: CotS is basically The Wicker Man for kids. I think you'll enjoy it - assuming you're the sort of person who might indeed enjoy The Wicker Man for kids.
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 25-03-2023 14:12
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
OracVZen

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

CotS had better be good after all this.

Fret not - it'll be phantasmagorical. And that's just Mrs Crabtree standing in the road! If nothing else, CotS will make you redefine what you think astrophysics is. No, really. (You may need to re-read this post after you've seen Episode One.)

TT's posted the links already so I'm sure AA will be able to find them as/when she needs/wants them.

Edit: CotS is basically The Wicker Man for kids. I think you'll enjoy it - assuming you're the sort of person who might indeed enjoy The Wicker Man for kids.


Hi,I’m going to correct you on this,
Matthew (Peter Demin) says to his father Adam (Gareth Thomas) “pretty FANTASMAGIRICAL with an F ,which means more fantastic than fantastic “
Then Adam replies “ Rubbish ,it’s PH as in a series of illusions or phantoms “.
One of best opening lines (part off) of any children’s tv programmes.
And I agree a sort of wicker man for kids.
Edited by OracVZen on 02-04-2023 09:56
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
OracVZen
How about Casting The Runes, 1979 Yorkshire tv adaptation?
Of ,M R James
Link with Children Of The Stones, both star Ian Cuthbertson.
50min long
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
OracVZen

OracVZen wrote:

How about Casting The Runes, 1979 Yorkshire tv adaptation?
Of ,M R James
Link with Children Of The Stones, both star Ian Cuthbertson.
50min long

Forget this suggestion, I couldn’t find it online for free.
Sorry people.
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
Cygnus Bazza

OracVZen wrote:


Matthew (Peter Demin) says to his father Adam (Gareth Thomas) “pretty FANTASMAGIRICAL with an F ,which means more fantastic than fantastic “
Then Adam replies “ Rubbish ,it’s PH as in a series of illusions or phantoms “.
One of best opening lines (part off) of any children’s tv programmes.
And I agree a sort of wicker man for kids.

Ha! Yes, that's absolutely the case. Well remembered! I was (sort of) quoting Adam/Gareth rather than Matthew... (That's the bit just before they get the age of the stones' erection hopelessly wrong... Oh and astrophysics my *rse.)

And we mustn't forget the spooky music over the opening titles, of course.

Edit: We'll all need chocolate cake on standby, too!
Quark, quark now...it goes quark, quark...quark now...
 
OracVZen

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

OracVZen wrote:


Matthew (Peter Demin) says to his father Adam (Gareth Thomas) “pretty FANTASMAGIRICAL with an F ,which means more fantastic than fantastic “
Then Adam replies “ Rubbish ,it’s PH as in a series of illusions or phantoms “.
One of best opening lines (part off) of any children’s tv programmes.
And I agree a sort of wicker man for kids.

Ha! Yes, that's absolutely the case. Well remembered! I was (sort of) quoting Adam/Gareth rather than Matthew... (That's the bit just before they get the age of the stones' erection hopelessly wrong... Oh and astrophysics my *rse.)

And we mustn't forget the spooky music over the opening titles, of course.

Edit: We'll all need chocolate cake on standby, too!

I agree with you about the music, I have the dvd,watch it at least 4 times a year,it's great
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power
 
AnneArthur
I can now make April 13th. Is that when we are starting?
 
Jump to Forum