View Thread
blakes7online » Blake's 7 » B7 Modern
 Print Thread
Big Finish: Tarrant
Joe Dredd
Three stories set at different points in Tarrant's life.

I wonder if we'll get a surprise appearance by Deeta Tarrant, given SP plays both roles.

I assume the Kairopan job is off limits, not being a Terry Nation script.

No sign of Colin Baker in the cast, so no 'first dealings with Bayban' story, unless it's through a henchman.

Deva
Intrigued by the news of this release.... hope we get the same for Del Grant.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

Paula

Joe Dredd wrote:

Three stories set at different points in Tarrant's life.

I wonder if we'll get a surprise appearance by Deeta Tarrant, given SP plays both roles.

I assume the Kairopan job is off limits, not being a Terry Nation script.

No sign of Colin Baker in the cast, so no 'first dealings with Bayban' story, unless it's through a henchman.

Joe- Big Finish has done a Del/Deeta/Dev story in Crossfire Part 3, called Kith and Kin by Christopher Cooper. It says and I quote, "The planet Corrolos is a safe haven for ex-oligarchs and retired royalty. So why is Tarrant insistent on going there, and what was the last wish of his dead brother Deeta?"

And I too checked to see if there was going to be a story about the canon statement that Tarrant (Del) had met Bayban years before City at the Edge of the World. I'd love to have that meeting for an upcoming story!
Resist the Host

Hugbot

Paula wrote:

And I too checked to see if there was going to be a story about the canon statement that Tarrant (Del) had met Bayban years before City at the Edge of the World. I'd love to have that meeting for an upcoming story!

I already did that two years ago:
i.imgur.com/ykfkje3.jpg

Paula
Oh, Huggie, you are so funny!
Resist the Host

M1795537OCVirn
It's almost here!

Tarrant - the Trailer

Listen to the trailer here:https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...rrant-3080
"You're not sulking, I hope?"

Joe Dredd
I really want to like these, but I am just left sucking my teeth and feeling like a curmudgeon every time.

I suppose Deeta has to be played by someone else, so the characters are distinct when you only have voices to go by. SP could use his Tarrant voice (seeing as he uses his 'real' voice for Tarrant in these) but then we might get excited and think Deeta was Del.

I'm not sure how I feel about someone else playing Servalan. I'm guessing these credits are 'man' and 'women' to avoid spoiling about Deeta and Servalan:

Raj Ghatak (Man)
Rosalyn Landor (Woman)

...but that's just a guess on my part.

Otherwise, ponderous, laborious, overly emphasised phrasing ("clonemasters"), cliches ("rag-tag rebels"), speech patterns more current to today than what we heard in B7, etc.

I'll buy it, of course.

Deva

Joe Dredd wrote:

I really want to like these, but I am just left sucking my teeth and feeling like a curmudgeon every time.

I suppose Deeta has to be played by someone else, so the characters are distinct when you only have voices to go by. SP could use his Tarrant voice (seeing as he uses his 'real' voice for Tarrant in these) but then we might get excited and think Deeta was Del.

I'm not sure how I feel about someone else playing Servalan. I'm guessing these credits are 'man' and 'women' to avoid spoiling about Deeta and Servalan:

Raj Ghatak (Man)
Rosalyn Landor (Woman)

Otherwise, ponderous, laborious, overly emphasised phrasing ("clonemasters"Wink, cliches ("rag-tag rebels"Wink, speech patterns more current to today than what we heard in B7, etc.

I'll buy it, of course.

I know exactly what you mean, I buy every Big Finish B7 release and am frequently disappointed. It does seem from the trailer that they have recast Servalan which I can't help but feel is a mistake. Perhaps they are testing the waters for further recastings... I certainly hope not. I would much rather have more Liberator Chronicles type audios read by the original cast members who are still with us. Having said that, there's still plenty of scope for full-cast adventures without recasting. Any number of stories could have been told about Tarrant without the need for Servalan to feature.

Joe Dredd

Hugbot wrote:

Paula wrote:

I already did that two years ago:
i.imgur.com/ykfkje3.jpg

Not 'How Tarrant met Bayban' as being discussed, but a similar play on 'Butcher' from Snare, the B7 text adventure game (1993) [ - though this isn't a screenshot of the original but a ported version.]
i.imgur.com/oCZd6Ja.png

M1795537OCVirn
Worlds of Blake's 7: Tarrant

My review of this new release from Big Finish is now available here https://www.blakes7online.com/article...cle_id=259

Ulera

Joe Dredd wrote:

Raj Ghatak (Man)
Rosalyn Landor (Woman)

Otherwise, ponderous, laborious, overly emphasised phrasing ("clonemasters"Wink, cliches ("rag-tag rebels"Wink, speech patterns more current to today than what we heard in B7, etc.

I'll buy it, of course.

I thought BF had made a statement a few years back that they wouldn't be recasting the main characters - I suppose they can't resist the kerrching - disappointing. Personally I can't listen to anyone but the original actors in those main roles.

Deva

Ulera wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Raj Ghatak (Man)
Rosalyn Landor (Woman)

I'll buy it, of course.

I thought BF had made a statement a few years back that they wouldn't be recasting the main characters - I suppose they can't resist the kerrching - disappointing. Personally I can't listen to anyone but the original actors in those main roles.

I listened to the first story yesterday and while it does feature Servalan, they haven't technically recast, as it's someone else pretending to be Servalan. I want to avoid spoilers so I don't want to say anymore here.

OracVZen

Deva wrote:

Ulera wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Raj Ghatak (Man)
Rosalyn Landor (Woman)

I'll buy it, of course.

I listened to the first story yesterday and while it does feature Servalan, they haven't technically recast, as it's someone else pretending to be Servalan. I want to avoid spoilers so I don't want to say anymore here.

I agree,just a karaaaching ploy
BFP do that alot,DR who etc, I would rather they don't use stuff with a covers, implied story's of original casts when the are dead.
I prefer original characters from the original series.
I know not possible now for the most part, but I will listen as I love audio books, I just wish they could use a new character in similar vein, or even a daughter,son etc plays the parts so Avons son, daughter,Rog son, daughter,Servalan etc .
And reference original cast in the conversation.
More respectful, a nod homage etc.
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power

M1795537OCVirn
I thought I made it clear in my review that they didn't recast anyone (other than Yasmin, who's been playing Dayna for a while now) and ESPECIALLY not Servalan. A 'nod' and 'homage' is exactly what they were doing. When you hear the whole story, you'll understand it. Don't worry, if anyone even tried to recast Servalan, I'd be round there...

OracVZen

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

I thought I made it clear in my review that they didn't recast anyone (other than Yasmin, who's been playing Dayna for a while now) and ESPECIALLY not Servalan. A 'nod' and 'homage' is exactly what they were doing. When you hear the whole story, you'll understand it. Don't worry, if anyone even tried to recast Servalan, I'd be round there...

AHH cool, thank you M179, and yes I bet you be straight round thereAngry
I plan to live forever,or die trying.
Maximum Power

Doriansplanethopper69
Hi. I am enjoying listening to the new Tarrant audio cd.
It came this week.
I have listened to two discs so far.
Lots of nods to the series on there, with kairos and jarvik mentioned so far. Tarrant asks the dream makers to deepen his brother's voice during the story playback, so even though SP plays both parts it sounds different. Very clever really.
Good stuff.
Anyone else enjoying it too? 😄

Jump to Forum