View Thread
blakes7online » Fan Activity » B7 Fanfic
 Print Thread
July 2024 Ficlet Challenge
M1795537OCVirn
Sorry this is late... this month there's only one prompt, and this is your chance to post all those ideas you had that you couldn't fit into any of the previous prompts, because, as Avon might say, "Blake's rabble finally get freedom of choice".

This should be interesting....and let's see if you can make your ficlet - or ficlets - exactly 500 words!
"You're not sulking, I hope?"

littlesue
Thank you. I hope PC is okay.
Sue
Cold! You don't know the meaning of the word cold!
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of your window!!

Sue's Book Shelf https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z1xg...Zine_Shelf

Rebel Run Video https://youtu.be/8prqS-XZtLo

littlesue
Well here goes.
It's a follow on from last month's story, Out of Control.....and just a few words over, sorry.
Plus, Lurena has returned from her musical tour and provided a really fab piccie.

A Change of Career

“Excuse me, sir.”
Avon didn’t look up. He was busy studying the latest news about the Federation and its expansion, “What is it?”
The service robot that he and Tarrant had somehow acquired on their last trip to obtain supplies, was standing right opposite him.
“May I speak to you?”
“Of course.”
“I would like to go back...”

“What!” Vila cried, “But he’s the best wine waiter I’ve ever trained.”
“And don’t forget his manicures and pedicures,” Soolin and Dayna chimed in.
“And that massage was something else,” Tarrant declared.
“I know you all have your reasons to want to keep it around,” Avon began, once the noise had subsided, “but it wants to go back. It’s due for retirement along with its fellow service robots.”
“Robots don’t retire,” Tarrant pointed out, “they get...”
“I don’t want to know,” Dayna said.
“I did explain that,” Avon admitted.
“There must be something we can do,” Soolin put in.
Vila sat up, “How about a change of career?”

“I do not think this is a good idea, sir,” the service robot said..
“Look, you’ll be fine,” Vila promised, “Charlie here owes me a favour and Orac, for once, has been helpful. You now know how to access everything you require.”

“So what do I need with an old service robot?” Charlie moaned.
“Listen, this establishment of yours isn’t exactly doing well is it?” Vila argued.
“And your point is?”
“Name a cocktail; any cocktail. And just watch.”
“It’s a bit small...”
As Charlie spoke, the service robot suddenly rose to its full height.
“It needs to do that, to reach the top shelves...”

Minutes later, an impressed Charlie was sipping the finest cocktail he’d ever tasted.
“And you say it can multitask?”
“It’s a real card shark. Any card game your clientele require, he’s your man err robot. Roulette, any form of gambling. And for the ladies who may just want some pampering..”
“What about if some of the clients get a bit argumentative?”
“No problem,” Vila smiled, “He’s a great ‘bouncer’!”
Charlie was pensive. “Can you get any more? And what do I call it? I mean ‘hey Robot’ doesn’t exactly sound professional. And is there anyway you can jazz it up? It looks sort of ‘worn’ a bit.”
Vila turned to the service Robot, “Any suggestions?”

“I don’t believe this,” Avon murmured.
“Look, it was Red’s idea,” Vila pointed out.
“Red?”
“Yes, he has had a new paint job. A nice shiny red and his friends from that establishment you and Tarrant went to, have also undergone a change.”
Soolin and Dayna marvelled at the newly refurbished service robots busily going about their new duties in Charlie’s suddenly popular bar.
Apart from Red in its new livery, there was a blue one, yellow, green, silver; in fact every colour in the spectrum.
“It’s a shame to see him go,” Soolin sighed, “He was so good doing my hair.”
“And my nails,” Dayna concurred.
Even Avon seemed dismayed, “It was such a good chess player as well.”
Vila took a sip of his cocktail, “You know he let you win, don’t you?”
“What?”
“Apparently, he didn’t want to hurt your feelings....”
Avon glared at him, “WHAT!”
i.imgur.com/5CDTCO1.jpg
Cold! You don't know the meaning of the word cold!
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of your window!!

Sue's Book Shelf https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z1xg...Zine_Shelf

Rebel Run Video https://youtu.be/8prqS-XZtLo

M1795537OCVirn
Thanks, Sue. Nice continuation...and a lovely illustration from Lurena. Avon's expression is perfect.

M1795537OCVirn
I discovered a half-written ficlet of mine titled 'Charity'. Can't remember when it's from, but it definitely sounds like one of PC's prompts...So I finished it and hope it fits in here..

Catch-and-Release

"She’s moving. A bit risky, isn’t it, releasing her early?" the officer asked, scanning the drone footage, "Sure you recognise this outlaw?"
"Oh yes," the woman responded, with a knowing smile.

Their resupply trip to Lumor had been uneventful. Tarrant shouldered the last package, scanning the street for Federation troops. Preoccupied, he didn't notice her until she touched him.
"Please help,” she appealed, obviously distressed, "I'm lost."

"She needs help," the pilot appealed, when they’d teleported aboard. The girl stared at them with frightened eyes. They stared back. She was probably pretty when she wasn't miserable.
"She's a little young, even for you," Soolin snapped.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Tarrant returned, and the usual bickering ensued. Avon allowed the by-play to run its course while he considered their options.
“She cannot identify them,” he warned, “Has she any idea what happened?”
"Stop calling her 'she'," grumbled Tarrant, "Her name's Charity."

Charity’s story was unconvincing: waking in a bare white room with no memory of arriving, then managing to leave without waiting to find out.
“It was too easy,“ warned Avon, “This might be a trap.”
"You always think that,” said Dayna, not much older than their visitor, "We can’t ignore her.”
"Orac?" as so often, Avon had consulted the computer rather than his colleagues, “Tell them what we know.”
"Very well. But any connection between these facts is supposition on your part. Lumor has resisted becoming affiliated to the Federation; the negotiations are continuing; the Governor's daughter went missing two days ago," the box replied.
“Two days?” Charity was close to panic again.
"Hush," Tarrant calmed her, "You’ll soon be home. Meanwhile, let’s find you a cabin."

“And now we wait," Servalan smiled, "May I offer you a drink?"
He accepted, as she'd known he would. As Lumor would accept annexation to her Federation for their own protection. Especially after experiencing their vulnerability to…er…rebel threats. Plans change: having Tarrant appear unexpectedly on Lumor to take the blame for Charity’s kidnapping was simply a happy coincidence.
"You're certain?" the man queried.
"Don’t worry, Governor," she responded, "Luckily, my surveillance recorded the moment your daughter was approached by the traitor Tarrant. He cannot resist a pretty face. He will persuade his friends to return her to you, seeking a reward. When they do, my troops will rightfully apprehend them. An excellent result. I’m so pleased we are here to help.”

“That’s a Federation ship!” Soolin glared at the image of Lumor’s spaceport on her screen.
“As I thought,” muttered Avon, “This way, Charity.”
“No!” Tarrant argued, trying to push past him.
“Don’t be a fool, Tarrant,” the computer expert answered, “Teleporting her down alone is safer – for all of us. Bracelets can be reprogrammed.”

Servalan nodded politely as the relieved Governor and his wife showered her with thanks. She boarded her ship in silence. Another planet under her control, but the rebels had again stalemated her game. A teleport bracelet... she was already planning her next gambit. It passed the time.

Lurena

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

...and a lovely illustration from Lurena. Avon's expression is perfect.

Thank you M1795537OCVirn!
I was happy to have time for drawing again, but I was so engrossed in doing so that it made me to forget the B7 rewatch last Tuesday. Shame on me!

I love your story, thank you for that pleasure in reading, and the use of re-programmed teleport bracelets is a perfect idea, but wouldn't Servalan be aware of this fact? Of course she'll find out soon but never take the risk herself.

I think I'm going to open a thread about teleport bracelets ...
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories will be back soon at a new website!

Anniew
Great stories. Thank you both.
Play the hand fate deals you.

Anniew
And what a tribute Lurena. Beautiful.
Play the hand fate deals you.

Lurena

Anniew wrote:

And what a tribute Lurena. Beautiful.

Thank you Annie!
We both know how fan love grows over the years!
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories will be back soon at a new website!

AnneArthur
A couple of great stories - sorry I'm only catching up with them now.

Jump to Forum