View Thread
 Print Thread
Survivors rewatch - 1.3 Gone Away
OneSparePart
I prefer B7 cos it is the future. This is a bit too close to home.
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!

Nixxie

Hugbot wrote:

Paula wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Yeah, let's light a fire that the nice men with the shotgun can see Shock Shock

My thoughts exactly.

And mine. Seems we have all become telepathic.

hmm... that is a bit divvy alright.

OneSparePart

Nixxie wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

How far away from Abby's home is her son's school?

it was a private boarding school so couldn't be too close by. I'd say a couple of hours drive.

That's what I thought. Why is she so stuck on staying in that area?

Nixxie
I'm pretty sure I would keep my bag of stuff with me at all times in case of trouble.

Nixxie
looks like they are car shopping tomorrow!

Nixxie

OneSparePart wrote:

Nixxie wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

How far away from Abby's home is her son's school?

it was a private boarding school so couldn't be too close by. I'd say a couple of hours drive.

That's what I thought. Why is she so stuck on staying in that area?

i presumed sshe had travelled to the area of the school to look.

OneSparePart

Nixxie wrote:

I'd get a tank

Paula

Nixxie wrote:

One thing is for sure, the bad guys don't like tyres.
Resist the Host

trevor travis
Review from a previous rewatch:

(1.3) “Gone Away” by Terry Nation
Directed by Terence Williams

After an odd opening few minutes, this settles down into another strong episode – including some of the most memorable scenes in the entire series (the confrontation at the supermarket.

We left “Genesis” with Abby meeting Greg and Jenny for the first time. This episode does not pick up from there, but instead we have around 7-8 minutes of Tom Price entering a deserted house, looking for food. There’s something vaguely comic about some of Tom’s struggles (as he chases chickens), but at the same time it is quite serious, as he’s desperate for food. And when he confronts a man and a young boy who are revealed to have typhoid, we realise that it’s no laughing matter.

Back to the interior of the church (a rather obvious studio set), and our three regulars are in conversation. Their needs are revealed. Jenny just wants the company of other people. Abby wants to find Peter. Greg is more enigmatic, almost if he’s still weighing up whether to stay with Abby and Jenny (he can be quite Avon-esque at times!). Thank goodness, when they went to check for the ghastly Anne Tranter, the evil wench had disappeared.

Time to get some supplies, and the aforementioned supermarket. The reveal of the dead man left hanging (not really killed for being a looter but instead a macabre warning) is a shock moment. The great thing about Survivors is that there is no signposting with the build-up of intrusive incidental music, instead any shock is just that and portrayed through the reactions of the actors – in this case, our three leads.

And then we have the scenes outside, as Wormley’s men appear in the Land Rover (including one bloke from the previous episode). Greg is almost a bystander to begin with, as it’s Jenny who snatches the gun and Abby who start to reload with supplies. And then Greg commits himself, as he notices Jenny’s resolve start to falter. The moment Greg decides to be part of the gang, if you like. There’s a fantastic tension to all these scenes, they are in real trouble if captured and taken back to Wormley. Remember what happened to the man in the previous episode?

As their make their escape, there’s then a scene when they stop by the river. It’s here that we see Abby first to crack for the first time, as the confrontation with the men has bewildered her – she thought everyone would be pulling on the same side given the new grave circumstances. It’s a lovely scene between her and Jenny, and there’s also the first references to Abby becoming some sort of leader, due to her resolve to form some sort of community. Our leads have not together for long, but you can see the various relationships already starting to form…. And it all feels natural, not forced storytelling here.

They get back to the church, to find Goldilocks… sorry, Tom Price… has been sleeping in their bed, so to speak!! Tom is a complete bull-shitter and Greg works this out quite quickly, and there’s some wonderfully ironic dialogue that Tom fails to pick up on.

Then Wormley’s men track them down, but it turns one of them is not so bad after all, and helps them escape, rather than let them face the retribution of his two colleagues. Tom Price throws his lot in with them and we won’t see him again for a while. And then Abby makes her decision – they can’t settle yet, she needs to find what happened to Peter… the young boy (now dead) who was suffering from Typhoid was not Peter after all.

At this point in the series, the motives of the three leads are fairly pure. Power has yet to corrupt them.

Lots to commend about this episode (the scenes both in and out of the supermarket are tremendous), although starting with almost 10 minutes of Tom Price was a brave decision. “Survivors” takes its own sweet time to tell its story, which is so refreshing in these days of a million-miles-per-hour story telling. Some of the studio sets do jar slightly against the location filming, but we only have three more episodes of this, before we switch to being completely on location.

TT Og heads out of ten:

Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft Pfft

Just thinking whether I was a bit harsh with that score...
Vote Og.

Hugbot

OneSparePart wrote:

Nixxie wrote:

I'd get a tank

You need a LOT of hand pumping to get the fuel for that kind of transport.

Nixxie
thank for the company, all!

Hugbot

Paula wrote:

Nixxie wrote:

One thing is for sure, the bad guys don't like tyres.

'Law makers, law breakers, tyres - let's fight them all!'

Hugbot
Thank you all for the company and good night! Frown

trevor travis
My ratings (apologies if anyone disagrees):

The Fourth Horseman 10
Genesis 9
Gone Away 8 or 9
Vote Og.

OneSparePart

Hugbot wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

Nixxie wrote:

I'd get a tank

You need a LOT of hand pumping to get the fuel for that kind of transport.

Cut holes in the floor and use pedal power? 🤔

Paula
It gets more interesting by the week. See you all next time. I've now got to start digging out from the blizzard we had overnight.- a good 9 inches of snow so far. Yuck!
Resist the Host

OneSparePart

trevor travis wrote:

The Fourth Horseman 10
Genesis 9
Gone Away 8 or 9

A definite 8 from me. It didn't quite gel for me.

OneSparePart

Paula wrote:

It gets more interesting by the week. See you all next time. I've now got to start digging out from the blizzard we had overnight.- a good 9 inches of snow so far. Yuck!

Oh good grief, Paula. I get hysterical if there's a hard frost!

trevor travis

Paula wrote:

Oh blimey, take care!
Vote Og.

OneSparePart
Internet was doing the old slow, slow...slow slow slow tonight. Hope it is better for next week's exciting adventure. Bye bye. Hope the snow shovelling goes well for you, Paula.

trevor travis

OneSparePart wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The Fourth Horseman 10
Genesis 9
Gone Away 8 or 9

A definite 8 from me. It didn't quite gel for me.

It's a slightly uneven episode, but it has got the Supermarket scene.
Vote Og.

Jump to Forum